E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I got Sirius, Here is the exact cost.

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by kigerka' date='Sep 17 2004, 01:11 AM
I asked a question and then answered it when I paid attention to the sub heading. Sat and NAV question.

I felt like an ass so I thought better to delete.
That's one function I miss: a delete button... to delete own posts...

And: NO, not since the foglight discussion, earlier allready...
Old 09-16-2004, 03:15 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Sep 17 2004, 01:13 AM
And: NO, not since the foglight discussion, earlier allready...
Old 09-16-2004, 08:26 PM
Contributors

This is a reply to the question that Hinckley posted.

My BMW dealer told me that Sirius cannot be integrated into iDrive on E60s with Navigation at this time. Since Sirius and Navigation come from different vendors, the software for one isn't compatible with the other right now when both are added to iDrive. BMW and the vendors hope to have a fix this fall.

If your E60 didn't come with Satellite Radio Prep, it is my understanding it isn't wired for Sirius to use the fiber optic antenna in the shark-fin antenna. I doubt that the dealer can do the wiring, but you might ask.

Don't despair! You can easily add Sirius to your E60 by purchasing a portable receiver and auto dock/antenna from an electronics store such as Best Buy, Circuit City or Radio Shack or from Sirius's online store. You will need to position the antenna on the trucklid and run the wire from the antenna on the trunk lid into the interior to the auto dock. Stores that install audio components in cars can do this for you, if you don't want to do this yourself. The receiver will broadcast Sirius through one of four FM frequencies rather than being integrated into your sound system through iDrive. You will plug the auto dock into the cigarette lighter or into one of the power outlets on the rear of the console for power.

An advantage of this setup is that you can purchase a home dock to hook up to your stereo system or Bose radio, and use the portable receiver to have Sirius at home.

My E60 came with Satellite Radio Prep, and the dealer installed the Sirius receiver back in June. It's very nice to have Sirius integrated into the sound system. I have the portable receiver in my older BMW and also use it with my Bose radio. Siriuis is a great companion.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-17-2004, 03:16 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by beemerjim' date='Sep 16 2004, 10:26 PM
This is a reply to the question that Hinckley posted.

My BMW dealer told me that Sirius cannot be integrated into iDrive on E60s with Navigation at this time. Since Sirius and Navigation come from different vendors, the software for one isn't compatible with the other right now when both are added to iDrive. BMW and the vendors hope to have a fix this fall.
Bimmerjim, thanks for the great info. I've one follow-on question though. For MY05, you can get sat radio and nav together from BMW. So I was wondering whether maybe I could now get it retro-ed into an 04.
Old 09-17-2004, 06:48 AM
Contributors

Hinckley, I suggest you ask your dealer. I'm still uncertain whether Sirius can use the shark-fin antenna if the car didn't get Satellite Radio Prep at the factory. The dealer should know.

If Sirius and Nav are available on the '05s, then the software conflicts between the two options must have been resolved.

Good luck!
Old 09-17-2004, 01:49 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2009 528xi, Jet Black, Black Dakota Leather, Poplar Wood, Steptronic Transmission, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package

Originally Posted by Viper786' date='Sep 16 2004, 02:17 PM
nice i had XM in my old car... (Well, my dad's old car)

he is thinking about getting sirius... is it possible to get XM instead? since we already have all the neccessary equipment?
well?
Old 09-17-2004, 02:16 PM
Contributors

Viper, here are my two cents, for what they are worth: You can ask your BMW dealer, but I think it's highly unlikely that XM can be integrated into iDrive and the sound system on an E60.

General Motors owns XM. BMW has sided with Sirius and undoubtedly has no interest in trying to make XM work with the iDrive software. I guess it's kinda like Beta v. VHS and Windows v. Macs.

That doesn't mean, of course, that an XM portable receiver can't be added to an E60 with an appropriate dock and antenna. It just can't use the shark-fin antenna or be integrated into iDrive and the sound system. The XM receiver will be broadcast through an unused FM frequency. If you already have the XM equipment, go for it, if you don't mind the extra antenna on the trunklid!