E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I GIVE-UP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 07:43 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what everyone else said and i just had my pads and rotors done as well, i went with the akebono euro pads though, the braking has a bit less bite then oem bmw but theres barely any dust and ive only heard a very faint squeel couple times but it was barely noticeable.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:18 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Moopai
But are original OEM pads suppose to do that? Even if it is few hundred miles!!! People go with genuine BMW pads so they would not experience and squealing....
From what I understand, brake squeal does not result from the pad to rotor contact. Thus, the squeaking is not always a function of the type of pad, although it can contribute to the issue. Rather the squeal is due to the pad "vibrating" when it contacts the rotor when braking and this movement causes the squealing. Thus anti-squeal and/or brake grease dampens this vibrations and eliminates the squealing.

Any knowledgeable mechanic (PepBoys, Midas etc.) can lube your brakes (it's simply a matter of applying the lube on the back of the pads and on the notches where the pads slide in the caliper), you'll just pay for the labor.
Old 05-08-2010, 04:30 PM
Members

Originally Posted by dixon
what everyone else said and i just had my pads and rotors done as well, i went with the akebono euro pads though, the braking has a bit less bite then oem bmw but theres barely any dust and ive only heard a very faint squeel couple times but it was barely noticeable.
X2 Love them a little less bite but no dust and no noise.
Old 05-08-2010, 04:38 PM
Senior Members

check your anti rattle clips and add a little anti seize on the tips of those and that will help, the pads slide on the carrier and that will need some antiseize, and some lube on the sliding pins. Most squeeling is from metal to metal contact not always pad to rotor contact. For a test take some brake cleaner and spray down your rotors and calipers than do some braking again
Old 05-08-2010, 04:52 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i TITANIUM GREY II on Black Dakota Lthr, Comfort Seats, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Active/Dynamic Drive, NAV, Winter Package.

Thanks guys for all the inputs. I will start tomorrow with the cleaner as it is the easiest thing to do and see if that would make a difference. It's just weird that it happens with three different sets of pads!

Originally Posted by 525iEnjoy
check your anti rattle clips and add a little anti seize on the tips of those and that will help, the pads slide on the carrier and that will need some antiseize, and some lube on the sliding pins. Most squeeling is from metal to metal contact not always pad to rotor contact. For a test take some brake cleaner and spray down your rotors and calipers than do some braking again
Old 05-08-2010, 05:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 E61 530d M-Sport.

It's just weird that it happens with three different sets of pads!
Yeah really weird. Have you thought it may be the disks rather than the pads?
Old 05-08-2010, 09:26 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i TITANIUM GREY II on Black Dakota Lthr, Comfort Seats, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Active/Dynamic Drive, NAV, Winter Package.

I asked the question about the rotors earlier but other members are saying it has to do with the pads not the rotors, so I have no idea!

Originally Posted by Dandle
Yeah really weird. Have you thought it may be the disks rather than the pads?
Old 05-08-2010, 09:39 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

I asked the question about the rotors earlier but other members are saying it has to do with the pads not the rotors, so I have no idea!
It could be that proper break in procedure wasn't done. Try doing 8-10 runs (you will need a quiet street or industrial area) of 60mph-10mph without stopping until you can smell the brakes and there is a little fade. This will leave the proper layer of pad material on the rotors and reduce problems