E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alignment with Active Steering

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 05:51 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like some advice on getting an alignment on my 545i with active steering. It is obvuious it needs it because the wheel is off center and I'm getting increased tire wear and noise.

I took it to my local independant and they wouldn't do it because they were afraid of messing up the sensors. I have read on the forum that it is common to have indy's do this successfully but I didn't want to insist and have a nervous tech. I took it to another place and they said "uh, ya we can do that" which was not at all confidance inspiring so again I feel like I would be taking my chances. A third place said let me check if we have the software. When he came back he said, that he'd have to get it on the rack before they decided if they could do it or not and it would cost more because of the nature of it, first time I heard that. Basically I want some knowledge of the operation so I A) don't get taken for a ride and don't allow someone to mess it all up.

Is there any special software or technique that they have to use for this type of alignment? If I knew that it was hard for them to screw up I'd just let them at it but I don't know the process myself. It would be great if I didn't have to go way out of my way to have something relatively simple done.

Thanks
Old 04-13-2010, 06:01 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Thats BS, my alignment guy did my alignment with no special software what so ever. Sounds to me like a few people are trying to jack up the price because you are driving a BMW! Go to another independant shop!! Best advise is to go to a reputable higher end tire and wheel place and ask them who they use for alignments, chances are they'll recommend an independant shop that knows how to work on all kinds of high end cars!

The alignment adjusting points are the same w/ or w/o active steering.

GL
Old 04-13-2010, 06:57 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by IceyTys
Thats BS, my alignment guy did my alignment with no special software what so ever. Sounds to me like a few people are trying to jack up the price because you are driving a BMW! Go to another independant shop!! Best advise is to go to a reputable higher end tire and wheel place and ask them who they use for alignments, chances are they'll recommend an independant shop that knows how to work on all kinds of high end cars!

The alignment adjusting points are the same w/ or w/o active steering.

GL
+1
Old 04-13-2010, 07:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with Sport Pkg, Nav, HUD, Cold Weather Pkg, Rear Shades

have you checked at what your local dealer will charge you for an alignment? Is the price differential so great that you are looking at an independent, or are there pother reasons you are looking at independents?
Old 04-13-2010, 07:43 AM
Senior Members

I found the price difference between indy shop and dealer was not worth the aggravation knowing that the active steering was involved.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:10 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

Modern automobiles with steering angle sensors requires zeroing / reset as part of the front-end / four-wheel alignment procedure. This is needed for accurate operation of adaptive front lighting, active steering, yaw sensor. stability control system and even navigation. Navigation uses dead reckoning when satellites are out of view (natural or man-made obstruction, e.g. mountains / bridges).

The guy that wanted rack time and charge you for it has to put your vehicle on his rack and connect it to his system so see if your specific vehicle is recognized by his alignment computer.

My independent tire shop can perform a four-wheel alignment and steering angle reset on my Lexus LS with their alignment computer, but they don't have the BMW module to do the same for my E60 or E90.

Alignment racks can have fancy procedures and measurement options. E.g.:

- Suspension height measurement at each corner
or
- Turn steering wheel full left, turn steering wheel full right, turn steering wheel to center, reset sensor
- Turn steering wheel full left, turn steering wheel full right, turn steering wheel to center, steering angle sensor operation verified
(Like calibrating a computer joystick or flightstick).

This fancy setup saved me a couple of time on curved roadways with ice. The vehicle system figured out where I was trying to go (steering angle, wheel RPM, throttle/brake position, etc) versus where the vehicle was actually going (yaw/pitch/roll sensors). Corrective inputs were applied: engine fuel delivery, dynamic brake force distribution, and (if equipped) active steering.

In a modern BMW automobile, the steering wheel is no longer just that. It has become part of a complex system of sensors and calculations controlling front lighting, vehicle stability, collision avoidance, active cruise control, dynamic cruise control, lane departure warning, hill descent control and self-parking
Old 04-13-2010, 08:33 AM
Senior Members

[quote name='CDesign' date='13 April 2010 - 05:51 AM' timestamp='1271166701' post='1151928']
I'd like some advice on getting an alignment on my 545i with active steering. It is obvuious it needs it because the wheel is off center and I'm getting increased tire wear and noise.

I took it to my local independant and they wouldn't do it because they were afraid of messing up the sensors. I have read on the forum that it is common to have indy's do this successfully but I didn't want to insist and have a nervous tech. I took it to another place and they said "uh, ya we can do that" which was not at all confidance inspiring so again I feel like I would be taking my chances. A third place said let me check if we have the software. When he came back he said, that he'd have to get it on the rack before they decided if they could do it or not and it would cost more because of the nature of it, first time I heard that. Basically I want some knowledge of the operation so I A) don't get taken for a ride and don't allow someone to mess it all up.

Is there any special software or technique that they have to use for this type of alignment? If I knew that it was hard for them to screw up I'd just let them at it but I don't know the process myself. It would be great if I didn't have to go way out of my way to have something relatively simple done.

Before you even get your alignment performed, see to it that you have you tires checked and rebalanced as neccessary, while your vehicle is there ( this should actually all be part of the alignment tech's prealignment inspection. There is partial truth in all that you have described.
All aligment racks need to be updated perodically to increase vehicle platform coverage... when I mean coverage these are just vehicle's manufacture's specs 530i 3.0, 545i 4.4 w/ sports .. w/o sports 550i 4.8 w/ sports ... ect... Any competant indy should have a fairly new database with software updated withinthe last 2-3 years. In the case of your car it shouldn't even be an issue as yours is a 04-05. If the shop you went to did't bother to even update thier software do not bother going to them as they have likely never performed an alignmment on an e60 before. There are only 4 adjustments to be made per axle. While toe adjustments are fairly straight forward, camber adjustments are fairly limited and if over / under adjusted, yes it may cause false sensor readings. A possible reason they may have to charge you more is becuase your vehicle would really take 40-60 mins. I can compare this 40 mins vs the 20 mins it takes me for many other different makes and models that have come in for an alignment. A range to expect for an indy job is $60- $110. This alignment should come with a 2 / 24 warranty. Make sure you ask for the printout, after. If you post it I can give you a futher analysis. If you decide to go to a dealer for this I believe the price is roughly $130-$150. The job is not hard, its more tedious than anything else, but an alignment rack with coverage for the 545i is required.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:30 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport 6sp,

Originally Posted by 5FOUR5
Before you even get your alignment performed, see to it that you have you tires checked and rebalanced as neccessary, while your vehicle is there ( this should actually all be part of the alignment tech's prealignment inspection. There is partial truth in all that you have described.
All aligment racks need to be updated perodically to increase vehicle platform coverage... when I mean coverage these are just vehicle's manufacture's specs 530i 3.0, 545i 4.4 w/ sports .. w/o sports 550i 4.8 w/ sports ... ect... Any competant indy should have a fairly new database with software updated withinthe last 2-3 years. In the case of your car it shouldn't even be an issue as yours is a 04-05. If the shop you went to did't bother to even update thier software do not bother going to them as they have likely never performed an alignmment on an e60 before. There are only 4 adjustments to be made per axle. While toe adjustments are fairly straight forward, camber adjustments are fairly limited and if over / under adjusted, yes it may cause false sensor readings. A possible reason they may have to charge you more is becuase your vehicle would really take 40-60 mins. I can compare this 40 mins vs the 20 mins it takes me for many other different makes and models that have come in for an alignment. A range to expect for an indy job is $60- $110. This alignment should come with a 2 / 24 warranty. Make sure you ask for the printout, after. If you post it I can give you a futher analysis. If you decide to go to a dealer for this I believe the price is roughly $130-$150. The job is not hard, its more tedious than anything else, but an alignment rack with coverage for the 545i is required.
Great advise 5FOUR5. Wondering if you have specs to reduce noise due to "cupping" the front tires on an '05 545i Sport Package. On the 3rd set of fronts (that I know of). Just had the alignment done recently by a good quality shop but think it's out again. I have read other posts that say the sport is prone to needing alignment and wondering if I should by the tools to set up in my garage to do it if it will need to be done regularly. I'm running General Exclaim UHP's this time that I believe are softer than the Dunlop SP01 run flats that came from the factory. That may be contributing to the tire wear but the Dunlops also wore to the point of noisey cupping on the inner and outer tread blocks. I know the toe and camber near zero is best for tire wear but sacrifices some handling. Not sure how much caster contributes to tire wear but creates some force so it could be minimal. Appreciate any advise you can provide.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:55 PM
Contributors

dealer price is $240 for the alignment.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:27 AM
fnc
Members

Active steering vehicles will have to be commisioned after an alignment. You will need a BMW scan tool to do so. This is more complicated than only a SAS alignment, however if you have the proper scan tool it involves pushing buttons and backing away from the vehicle while it does its dance.

Quick Reply: Alignment with Active Steering