E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I GIVE-UP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 04:22 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i TITANIUM GREY II on Black Dakota Lthr, Comfort Seats, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Active/Dynamic Drive, NAV, Winter Package.

Little over a month ago I had a break job done on my car by a local BMW shop, 4 rotors were changed and front/rear pads. I asked the shop for less dusty pads so they installed pads made by TRW which were great in the way they bite and hardly any dust but the problem was once they get wet they sequel when cold for few 100 meters and then they are fine after that (rotors made by Zimmermann). I went back to the shop and told them about the problem, they were really good about it and changed the four pads to Jurish which are used by BMW. They dust like hell to the point where you wash the car and take it for a quick spin 20-30 minutes and your wheels are power coated naturally. The dust was not the biggest problem; same as the TRW pads once they get wet I hear a sequel but only at the final stop not like the TRW where the sequel drags for few feet. I went back to the shop and told them about the problem, they were surprised about what's happening, so I suggested that they use the BMW OEM pads which are made by Jurish and are exactly like the ones they installed. Again these guys were really good and yesterday they installed the ORIGINAL BMW PADS, guess What??? I leave the shop after driving for few miles I come to a red light and then I hear this long sequel before stopping. I thought it was the guy right next to me especially since it was not raining or wet pavement. At the next light I hear the samething this time I knew it was me.

So the $64k question is WTF is going on? And what is causing the sequel? Honestly I don't have the face to go back to the shop even thus it is not my fault. The sequel this time is coming from the front and I think it's coming from the left wheel. Any ides?????
Old 05-07-2010, 05:43 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW E60 530i

Sequel? Do you mean it squeals? Mine does the same... you can't really do much... I always have to go and blast the caliper area with high pressure water system to get all the dust out and it doesn't squeal... but again, after few hours drive, it squeals again... lol
Old 05-07-2010, 05:46 AM
Contributors

What I think is you need to buy Hawk HPS pads from Mike at AcutePerformance and just stop your suffering with stupid dealers that don't know diddly.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:50 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

There are a few ideas:
1) Did you properly bed in the pads? I replaced OEM with Hawk HPS then took my car to an industrial area (which was empty on a Sunday night) and did 12-14 60mph-10mph runs - without fully stopping, this heats up the brakes and leaves a good layer on the rotors and is the proper prcedure.

2) Use different pads, I don;t have the problems you describe - maybe because I did dump the OEM pads as quickly as possible (exactly because the squealing was annoying and the dust was unbearable) - contact acuteperformance (Michael)for some Hawk HPS pads, less dust and better performance than OEM and NO SQUEALING

3) Make sure the shop doesn't just change the pads, a few sprays of brake parts cleaner before installation of the new pads goes a long way

Good luck
Old 05-07-2010, 07:35 AM
Members

Originally Posted by pjinca
There are a few ideas:
1) Did you properly bed in the pads? I replaced OEM with Hawk HPS then took my car to an industrial area (which was empty on a Sunday night) and did 12-14 60mph-10mph runs - without fully stopping, this heats up the brakes and leaves a good layer on the rotors and is the proper prcedure.

2) Use different pads, I don;t have the problems you describe - maybe because I did dump the OEM pads as quickly as possible (exactly because the squealing was annoying and the dust was unbearable) - contact acuteperformance (Michael)for some Hawk HPS pads, less dust and better performance than OEM and NO SQUEALING

3) Make sure the shop doesn't just change the pads, a few sprays of brake parts cleaner before installation of the new pads goes a long way

Good luck
Find an independent dealer who will apply anti-squeak or brake lub on the back of the brake pads. That and "bedding" your brakes should remove 95% of any squeal issues. Honestly, stopping brake squeal isn't that hard. I'm hardly an expert, but I did my own brakes lubbed the backs and edges of the pads with brake lub and have had zero squeal issues.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:37 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by wanker
Find an independent dealer who will apply anti-squeak or brake lub on the back of the brake pads. That and "bedding" your brakes should remove 95% of any squeal issues. Honestly, stopping brake squeal isn't that hard. I'm hardly an expert, but I did my own brakes lubbed the backs and edges of the pads with brake lub and have had zero squeal issues.

Agreed, lube is crucial, they MUST apply grease to the pads and the notches in the pad retainers where the pads move. This will reduce squeak a lot as well.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:07 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

Anti sequeel grease and bed them in good, that is about all you can do.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:38 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i TITANIUM GREY II on Black Dakota Lthr, Comfort Seats, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Active/Dynamic Drive, NAV, Winter Package.

Anti sequeel grease something I can apply, or do I have to go back to the mechanic shop?

Originally Posted by bigbadbull
Anti sequeel grease and bed them in good, that is about all you can do.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 E61 530d M-Sport.

Jurid make the OEM pads for BMW. I found that mine went through a phase of squealing but it only lasted for a couple of hundred miles if that then they have been fine since.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:44 PM
Senior Members

But are original OEM pads suppose to do that? Even if it is few hundred miles!!! People go with genuine BMW pads so they would not experience and squealing....

Originally Posted by Dandle
Jurid make the OEM pads for BMW. I found that mine went through a phase of squealing but it only lasted for a couple of hundred miles if that then they have been fine since.