E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I get no love from these streets

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 07:19 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 bmw 530i

wow thats not a bad price at all for everything he does...
Old 09-17-2010, 08:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by tuffluck
not a bad price at all, especially considering how often it happens.

Originally Posted by guysk8r1717
wow thats not a bad price at all for everything he does...
Guys, I forgot to make sure what actually is included and was pretty surprised today, when I found out this price does NOT include re-paint. Sorry for having misquoted him. The full refurb for an 18 inch wheel is actually 145+tax - that's for FULL 100% restoration - bends, cracks, finish etc etc. Still pretty good. And Al also promised me a pretty sweet deal on repainting all four - I'm thinking to get that done after the coming winter - or maybe before, not sure yet.

I decided to leave my rim as it is for now and not repaint it alone. If I'm gonna do it, I'll do all four and go gun metal.

I have the wheel, going to mount it in an hour or so, so I'll update the thread with the "after" pics later today.

Originally Posted by Isaiah_Charles
Sucks, I think part of it is knowing your roads/driving style you cant dodge em all though, NYC streets are terrible pisses me off
Honestly, I can live with that part of it. What really gets me upset is knowing how much money we all pay in taxes to this city. But you know, I don't mean to put down the honest people, who work for the city, but the few crooks that are stealing are making life miserable for EVERYBODY who lives here. I wouldn't even call it "corruption" anymore, because that implies that it is on the "down-low" and hush-hush. This is like an open "FUCK YOU" to everyone. Like, how many times do you see two lanes of a highway blocked off, work signs up and then you drive by it and there's NOBODY there - not one person. Things like that make me feel like we are all being taken for suckers... and we are suckers, since we have - so far, at least - not been able to do a thing about it.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:52 AM
Members

Honestly V i thought i would never leave BKLYN ,if you were to ask me 5yrs ago would i ever leave to move to texas i would say you were your outta your MIND !But life throws you curve balls and im here now . But now that i look back at what i was living in for 39yrs , i got to honestly say i would never go back. Its a fukin RAT RACE up there. THE QUALITY OF LIFE IS SO MUCH BETTER HERE ! You dont realize it til you get out. BELIEVE ME i still miss the action that only NEW YORK can provide . GO YANKEES 28 BABY !
Old 09-17-2010, 08:56 AM
Senior Members

The headaches that come with living in NY sorry to say dont outweigh the good I agree with Leadfoot the quality of life is better in other places and its sometimes easier living.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:50 AM
Members

My Ride: 07' 550I Black

I'm with you guys... Ive just bought my 5th rim this year in the last year. In March a NY interstate pothole took out 3 rims and tires in one whack!
Now I'm back home and a TN pot hole took out another!!
Old 09-18-2010, 04:11 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by leadfoot
Honestly V i thought i would never leave BKLYN ,if you were to ask me 5yrs ago would i ever leave to move to texas i would say you were your outta your MIND !But life throws you curve balls and im here now . But now that i look back at what i was living in for 39yrs , i got to honestly say i would never go back. Its a fukin RAT RACE up there. THE QUALITY OF LIFE IS SO MUCH BETTER HERE ! You dont realize it til you get out. BELIEVE ME i still miss the action that only NEW YORK can provide . GO YANKEES 28 BABY !
I've lived in Smalltown, USA places before, but that was during my college years. My feeling is, though, that moving out into the burbs won't work for me, unless I have a family to occupy me. Otherwise, I'll always be drawn to the lights of big cities.

Originally Posted by Isaiah_Charles
The headaches that come with living in NY sorry to say dont outweigh the good I agree with Leadfoot the quality of life is better in other places and its sometimes easier living.
Make no mistake about it, I LOVE NEW YORK! I wouldn't trade it for anything. But I'd gladly trade off those dipshits that run the infrastructure and steal the money we all pay in taxes.

Originally Posted by rockytop2
I'm with you guys... Ive just bought my 5th rim this year in the last year. In March a NY interstate pothole took out 3 rims and tires in one whack!
Now I'm back home and a TN pot hole took out another!!
OUCH! Are you rolling on some weak-ass rims, or just aiming to hit every pothole you come across? j/k That's gotta hurt, man.
Old 09-18-2010, 04:23 AM
Contributors

As promised, a pic of the rim after the fixin's done.

I get no love from these streets-img_0296.jpg

The weld is definitely visible and thick. But it seems to have balanced out really well, as it is mounted in the front, yet I feel no vibration from it - at least at speeds of up to 50mph or so, haven't gone faster yet.

Its a little more expensive than the wheel-fix-it place, and it doesn't have the pick up/drop off option for my area (so I've gotta drive way out of my way to get to it). The finish on the weld is somewhat crude - when I had a rim repair by wheel-fix-it, it came back repainted and looking LIKE NEW. That said, the paint did start chipping on the very first day, so the whole brand new paint thing was moot. But the weld was NOT VISIBLE, which IMHO is the only thing (aside from the price and pick up/drop off option) that they have on Al's Hubcaps. All in all, a very positive experience. Thanks to Calton for sharing the place (btw his name has no pull over there - I tried to name-drop - nothing ) - Al's a totally chill dude, my kind of peoples
Old 09-19-2010, 01:25 PM
Contributors

Dammit! Just got another flat tire warning! maybe nothing, maybe something - I set all the pressures to OEM and reset the indicator - if it comes up again, I may need another rim-repair lol
Old 09-19-2010, 01:41 PM
Contributors

Most of our roads start out OK but after a few freeze thaw cycles or utility cuts the repair work performed is substandard.

Most road crews throw cold patch right over a deteriorated road bed... and have to repeat it over and over and over ... as one road crew told me, "Hey, man it's all overtime for us! We'll fix the same potholes every month."

What I don't get is the unions these people work for seem to think it's OK to pay premium wages for shity work ... and the politicians these slugs are in bed with feel it's OK to dig into taxpayers pockets and ask for more money.

Some of us are mad as hell and won't take it any more!

HEY ... Wasn't that in a movie ??
Old 09-19-2010, 03:43 PM
Contributors

Lou - on the button the system should reward good work - not bad. And I believe there is enough tax revenue to support such a system at current rates. By rewarding good-quality work, we can cut down on overtime and improve road quality, without sacrificing the working man's income. If anything, those who do great work, will get great pay.

Another way to improve road quality would be to overhaul the design of the trucks that are used to transport cargo. There's technology to make them lighter, easier on the environment and more efficient. There's already a move toward this (http://www.truckinginfo.com/news/new..._category_id=3), but IMHO this move is not nearly enough - the entire concept of the 18-wheeler can be overhauled into something a LOT more efficient.