E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I get no love from these streets

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 02:04 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Black/BlacK

Originally Posted by 545IblupasdU
Second ave from 96st to 59st is like the surface of mars.
+1000000 thats where I did $3000+ in damage to my car from a manhole cover/pothole combo thankfully insurance was there to cover it
Old 09-16-2010, 02:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 M5 alpine white, black full leather, etc.

Cost of repair? Mine was $500 for a new 124.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:33 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Man, I think the roads on in the old East is just craptastic.

I was in Boston again last week and frik, I seriously would not drive a nice car out there just because how bad the road is. Every time the rental ate the shitty road, I thought "fuck, I am glad this isn't my car".
Old 09-16-2010, 03:49 PM
lim
Senior Members

My Ride: e60

You guys ever think of getting a nice land cruiser or land rover or a truck and raising it and putting some huge fat wheels on them and just giving the roads and its potholes the finger?

I've been tempted...
Old 09-16-2010, 04:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 M5 alpine white, black full leather, etc.

no
Old 09-16-2010, 05:05 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 09 M5 (E60) Interlagos blue, Silverstone interior, with cold weather package. Adaptive Xenon headlamps and adaptive brake lights, hud, comfort access. Comfort seats, basically fully loaded.

sowy to hear that Vlady.... Sue the City like i did a year ago..... after fighting for 9 months for a $1200 bill in repairs, they sent me an $87 check.... Rn't they so generous?
Old 09-16-2010, 08:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 e60 M5 Replica Titanium Silver Premium Package Premium Sound Package Adaptive Xenon's Apple iPhone cell interactive pared with iDrive Bluetooth setting 19 inch BMW OEM 166M rims, Michelin tires Sprint Booster - V2 Fidelity / BMW Extended Warranty 7 year / 100,000 miles

Originally Posted by v_therussian
So, like the song goes "ain't no love in the heart of the city", I get no love from New York's streets and highways. Hit a pothole yesterday, thought I dodged a bullet, but not so fast - was going to work today and bingo! The FTM came on, I stopped by a tire shop, they sprayed some water on the tire and the guy goes "nothing's wrong". I said "nah-ah! take the wheel off and put it in a tub", and sure enough, a crack about 2.5 inches long on the inner lip. Gonna hit Al's Hubcaps for the fixin' tomorrow, or maybe John's place (if Al's is any way, shape or form disagreeable ).

I'm pretty sure it won't come as a surprise that I feel that the OEM 123's are weak. But I'm wondering, could the fact that my dampers are harsh (I suspect, due to worn mounts) and the fact that I over-inflate my tires (35front/40rear vs 32/38 OEM recommended) contribute to cracked rims?

Anyway, the wheel's off now, the car is parked and the pothole season (for me, at least) has begun

Y'all drive careful out there!

____

Sorry to hear about the pot hole Vs. BMW rim, and the damn pothole won! : (

You might try www.bmwwheels.com for the best price on BMW OEM prices I have found, and a few Local BMW dealers will match their price 25% off MSRP, and I would ask Garry of BMW of Newport for a price.

Eddie aka Presley348
Old 09-16-2010, 09:00 PM
Contributors

Sorry to hear, Vlad. I feel your pain, that's why when someone says "let's go to the city", Im like, "you're driving!"
Old 09-16-2010, 09:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by aresh
Bro i can totally relate, im so tired of bent rims, i cant remember when i had a nice smooth ride without any shaking due to one of my wheels being bent. The worst part is, you only need to bend them just a tiny bit to mess everything up. I need some forged 19's
So you think if its not forged, no sense in getting them? I've heard some reports that forged rims are very hard to bend or crack, but if you do manage to bend or crack them, its almost always impossible to repair = need new rim. If that's the case, with the roads the way they are, I'd rather get some cheaper cast rims and if they bend/crack, I'll just fix them.

Originally Posted by sdg1871
+1000. Tgbhis is why I laugh whenever anyone on the board advises a New York City member to get 20s.
That said, I myself have thought about 20s looking oh so nice on the E60 though...

Who's coming to SoCal with me?

Originally Posted by tonymac
Yep, I was raised in New York from a year old until I left for the Army. It is like they halfway do things so they have job security. "No need to worry about work, in about 35 minutes they are going to need us again." I can Imagine them saying. To be quite honest Germany has some great roads but Kuwait takes it by far. The quality of roads being built out there is better than any other road I have driven on.

Anyhoo, NY roads SUCK!. We need to start suing for the price of new rims or something.

T to the mizzack
Guess we spend more money on Kuwaiti infrastructure than our own these days...

Originally Posted by kane1111
Its not the dampers its the off road desert we call the streets of NY... It is ridiculous!!!! and disrespectful..
No, I do need new dampers as well. I already bought the springs and just waiting for a great deal on the dampers - gonna revamp the entire suspension
Old 09-16-2010, 09:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by judah
I live in NY as well and I just found out 2 days ago I have a crack in one of my reack wheels....

So could I trust Al's hubcaps? I've been looking around for a place to get it fixed tomorrow since I'm off from work (I have jury duty tho). lol
The place definitely has character Al's this hippie-looking dude, who totally runs the place, controls everything that goes in and out (I like that). Quite knowledgeable and (unfortunately, but not surprisingly) says that 85% of his business is BMW rims. But I will post pics of the fixed wheel tomorrow and give you a full break-down of the quality of work.

Originally Posted by 545IblupasdU
Second ave from 96st to 59st is like the surface of mars.
some of the people there look like they belong on another planet too - what, with all those post-plural plastic surgeries old ladies and stuff

Originally Posted by tuffluck
are the rims you guys cracking the RF rims or are they aftermarket rims? my friend here in dallas has cracked a rim or two, but he just has the stock run flat rims (i know the rims aren't run flats) on his 650i sport. he thought it might be the rims, but if so many are having the problem with other rims, maybe it's coincidence or bmw is to blame?

curious, do you work in NYC? i know several people in NYC, none that drive lol.
I have OEM 123s and they crack pretty often.

Originally Posted by 1600
Cost of repair? Mine was $500 for a new 124.
115+tax for 18. 125 for 19. Not too bad.

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Man, I think the roads on in the old East is just craptastic.

I was in Boston again last week and frik, I seriously would not drive a nice car out there just because how bad the road is. Every time the rental ate the shitty road, I thought "fuck, I am glad this isn't my car".
I just drove 1600 miles through the most of the coastal New England and some white mountains region - I can tell you from experience, NO roads are worse than New York. And I cannot stress it enough that the reason it is so is because WE CONTINUE TO ALLOW THIEVES TO RUN THIS PLACE!

Quick Reply: I get no love from these streets