E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I get no love from these streets

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 11:51 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

So, like the song goes "ain't no love in the heart of the city", I get no love from New York's streets and highways. Hit a pothole yesterday, thought I dodged a bullet, but not so fast - was going to work today and bingo! The FTM came on, I stopped by a tire shop, they sprayed some water on the tire and the guy goes "nothing's wrong". I said "nah-ah! take the wheel off and put it in a tub", and sure enough, a crack about 2.5 inches long on the inner lip. Gonna hit Al's Hubcaps for the fixin' tomorrow, or maybe John's place (if Al's is any way, shape or form disagreeable ).

I'm pretty sure it won't come as a surprise that I feel that the OEM 123's are weak. But I'm wondering, could the fact that my dampers are harsh (I suspect, due to worn mounts) and the fact that I over-inflate my tires (35front/40rear vs 32/38 OEM recommended) contribute to cracked rims?

Anyway, the wheel's off now, the car is parked and the pothole season (for me, at least) has begun

Y'all drive careful out there!
Old 09-16-2010, 12:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 bmw 530i

dam thats all you ever read about here on the forum is NY's potholes wtf is with the roads there?
Old 09-16-2010, 01:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by guysk8r1717
dam thats all you ever read about here on the forum is NY's potholes wtf is with the roads there?
Oh, dude, forget about it! Sore topic. The roads in NYC this year are about the same as I remember roads in Russia after the Soviet Union collapsed. Churchill joked about there being as many roads as there are directions in Russia, implying that there aren't any roads. Or at least none that are worthy of the name "road". Well, its about the same in NYC right now. The people who are supposed to fix the roads are all crooks and scumbags, the roads are never fixed to spec (and even if they are, the spec must be from before cars were invented, because they fall apart in days), there are so many potholes and all kinds of bumps and stuff - it would take me days to describe all the nuances. Some highways are okay, but if you drive in Manhattan (which I do several times a week), you're either slaloming between the hazards or - as you can see - fixing cracked rims. I love this city, but it has been overtaken by criminals completely, it seems at times. We need to take our city back and tell these scumbags that we are not gonna let them steal our money anymore... except no one wants to get off their lazy ass - instead the wheel repair services prosper. At least we have a few of those...
Old 09-16-2010, 02:47 AM
Senior Members

Bro i can totally relate, im so tired of bent rims, i cant remember when i had a nice smooth ride without any shaking due to one of my wheels being bent. The worst part is, you only need to bend them just a tiny bit to mess everything up. I need some forged 19's
Old 09-16-2010, 02:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by v_therussian
Oh, dude, forget about it! Sore topic. The roads in NYC this year are about the same as I remember roads in Russia after the Soviet Union collapsed. Churchill joked about there being as many roads as there are directions in Russia, implying that there aren't any roads. Or at least none that are worthy of the name "road". Well, its about the same in NYC right now. The people who are supposed to fix the roads are all crooks and scumbags, the roads are never fixed to spec (and even if they are, the spec must be from before cars were invented, because they fall apart in days), there are so many potholes and all kinds of bumps and stuff - it would take me days to describe all the nuances. Some highways are okay, but if you drive in Manhattan (which I do several times a week), you're either slaloming between the hazards or - as you can see - fixing cracked rims. I love this city, but it has been overtaken by criminals completely, it seems at times. We need to take our city back and tell these scumbags that we are not gonna let them steal our money anymore... except no one wants to get off their lazy ass - instead the wheel repair services prosper. At least we have a few of those...
+1000. Tgbhis is why I laugh whenever anyone on the board advises a New York City member to get 20s.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 528i, Space Grey, Nav, PDC, Premium, Sports, Grey Leather, Xenon, Cornering...

Yep, I was raised in New York from a year old until I left for the Army. It is like they halfway do things so they have job security. "No need to worry about work, in about 35 minutes they are going to need us again." I can Imagine them saying. To be quite honest Germany has some great roads but Kuwait takes it by far. The quality of roads being built out there is better than any other road I have driven on.

Anyhoo, NY roads SUCK!. We need to start suing for the price of new rims or something.

T to the mizzack
Old 09-16-2010, 03:23 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Navy 550I

Its not the dampers its the off road desert we call the streets of NY... It is ridiculous!!!! and disrespectful..
Old 09-16-2010, 05:17 AM
Members

I live in NY as well and I just found out 2 days ago I have a crack in one of my reack wheels....

So could I trust Al's hubcaps? I've been looking around for a place to get it fixed tomorrow since I'm off from work (I have jury duty tho). lol
Old 09-16-2010, 12:27 PM
Senior Members

Second ave from 96st to 59st is like the surface of mars.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:02 PM
Senior Members

are the rims you guys cracking the RF rims or are they aftermarket rims? my friend here in dallas has cracked a rim or two, but he just has the stock run flat rims (i know the rims aren't run flats) on his 650i sport. he thought it might be the rims, but if so many are having the problem with other rims, maybe it's coincidence or bmw is to blame?

Originally Posted by v_therussian
curious, do you work in NYC? i know several people in NYC, none that drive lol.

Quick Reply: I get no love from these streets