E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I feel so frustrated

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 11:52 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

The erratic behaviour of the auto headlights mode has been discussed here several times.

I was trying to forget about this issue, but in the past week I drove two vastly inferior cars (a Renault Laguna and a Citroen C5).

Guess what, they both have the auto headlights mode working flawlessly.

I even took the Renault in and out of my office garage several times (doing this drives the lights of my E61 crazy). They correctly switched on and off 100% of the times.

The french automakers must have an edge in this highly advanced technology

I really don't understand BMW's on this issue. If the sensor is crap, just do a recall to replace it. They seem to have the stupid attitude of thinking the problem will go away by ignoring it.

Ok, feel much better now

Cheers.
Old 12-12-2004, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I don't think the sensor is faulty. The sensor outputs a signal or signals based on the ambient light it detects. It's the software that chooses when and what to do based on the information received from the sensor.

In other words, the sensor is working but the software is crap.

Having said that, I don't know why this would frustrate you so much. What's the big deal about automatic headlights anyway? Just drive the car and when it gets dark -- turn them on...
Old 12-12-2004, 01:25 PM
Contributors

At the end of the day you're right Rudy, just use the headlight switch manually - end of the problem. That's what I, and probably the fellow members with the same problem, do.

My frustration lies more in the fact that BMW seems unable (or not willing) to solve what appears to be a non issue for all other automakers. And that's not a good sign.

Yeah I know, they have more important things to do first. They say the same regarding the infamous mp3 functionality. A non issue for the majority of the competition.

Do you see a trend yet ?

Cheers.
Old 12-12-2004, 01:29 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

I have no problem. My lights are ALWAYS ON.

Maybe one day they might turn off. OK, the days are not bright sunshine lately. But I'm still surprised that they're on all the time.
Old 12-12-2004, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Well, I agree that the auto headlights are not working as perfect as you would expect from a luxury sedan in this price range. But I have noticed that others (Audi and M seem to have the same problem - well, at least over here in Germany. I see so many with the lights on in sunlight, or even the lights coming on in the sun, just as mine.
I agree that it is a software problem, but it seems to be a problem on high end cars, not a BMW problem.
There are other problems that are BMW spec... MP3 is one of them...
Old 12-12-2004, 04:25 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Dec 12 2004, 07:23 PM
Well, I agree that the auto headlights are not working as perfect as you would expect from a luxury sedan in this price range. But I have noticed that others (Audi and M seem to have the same problem - well, at least over here in Germany. I see so many with the lights on in sunlight, or even the lights coming on in the sun, just as mine.
I agree that it is a software problem, but it seems to be a problem on high end cars, not a BMW problem.
There are other problems that are BMW spec... MP3 is one of them...
[snapback]68425[/snapback]
I don't think the lights are BMW. I think Lexus, BMW, Mercedes all use the same lights/sensors from one of the major lighting manufacturers.
Old 12-12-2004, 04:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

I was driving today....

Auto Headlights turned on at 3:45 PM Eastern. And NO.... I wasn't in a tunnel.

I know it's daylight savings time and all..... but DAMN.

I have three words.... summed up by the following... WTF???
Old 12-12-2004, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' date='Dec 13 2004, 02:28 AM
I was driving today....

Auto Headlights turned on at 3:45 PM Eastern.? And? NO.... I wasn't in a tunnel.

I know it's daylight savings time and all.....? but DAMN.

I have three words....? summed up by the following...? ? WTF???
[snapback]68457[/snapback]
Daylight saving ???

Forgot to change back about 6/7 weeks ago?
Old 12-13-2004, 05:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 530i, Jet Black, Black Leather, Automatic, Cold Weather, Sirius Prep and Radio, Premium Package, Xenon Lights.

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' date='Dec 12 2004, 08:28 PM
Auto Headlights turned on at 3:45 PM Eastern.? And? NO.... I wasn't in a tunnel.

I know it's daylight savings time and all.....? but DAMN.

With all due respect, why do you care?

Does it seem like its wasting power?

Xenon lights last for almost ever, so that's not an issue... so why do you need the lights off?
Old 12-13-2004, 06:41 AM
Senior Members

Mine work fine (MY05). They come on in the garage which seems like a waste (5-10 sec delay would probably be fine). I touch the switch only to see what things look like with a reflective surface (maybe 2 times in the first 2 months of ownership)

Maybe I just don't notice but they seem to be off when then should be. If they were to turn on at 3:45 pm EST this time of year, that would probably be 30 minutes too early - what is the big deal?

Quick Reply: I feel so frustrated