E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I dropped a screw into my intake pipe? Any ideas on how to get it out?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 03:23 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: E61 with all the mods
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54
Default I dropped a screw into my intake pipe? Any ideas on how to get it out?

Hey guys,

Today the past 36 hours were all-time for my E61:
- changed the power steering fluid
- replenished the tailgate hydraulic fluid
- replaced wiper blades
- changed cabin air filters
- installed AR downpipes
- flushed the transmission fluid x2 and changed the pan/filter
- installed an ER charge pipe with a Tial

While installing the ER CP my BMS cone intakes were removed and while I was lowering the CP into the engine bay I noticed that the screw/grommet that was just placed into the mounting flange -was no longer there. I didn't hear it fall but it wasn't on the workbench I was just at nor was it on the garage floor (just installed the grommet/screw to the CP and walked 10ft to the car). I searched all over and couldn't find it.

Anyway I am fairly certain it fell into the intake tube that runs to the front turbo. I went for a short test drive and noticed an whistling noise while under throttle (in addition to the turbos), I quickly turned around and went home. Under closer inspection with the hood open and filter removed I could hear a faint *ting*ting*ting noise much like a penny in a sink disposal and I am almost certain it is the screw/grommet bouncing around on the turbine.

Any ideas on resolving such a predicament? Where the intake pipes meets the turbo housing is in tight quarters and I am not sure how much work it would take to separate the two.

Would it be possible to run a shop-vac or air compressor and blow it out? I could separate the cat-back from the turbo and get in that way. Would this harm the turbo?

Anyone ever encountered such a problem?

Thanks,
Evan
Old 05-17-2014, 03:59 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Ouch! I dropped a metal speed clip in my old 280z when I was installing the weber throttle bodies. I couldn't get it out. Had get head removed! Have you tried a magnet of some kind? What about one of those soft rubber tube things they use to clean out the lint in the house drier, perhaps you could tape up something like this to your vacuum and snake the tube down to the turbine. I can't envision the length or maneuvering you would need to do. I'm sure it would be a bad situation if you left it in there though.
Old 05-17-2014, 04:00 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: '06 550i Sport Package

Easy! Turn it upside down and shake it.
Old 05-17-2014, 04:57 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535i M Sport
Model Year: 2010

If it did fall in there and make its way to the turbo, the turbo is toast. But I have a feeling it didn't drop in there and is actually resting on the bottom pan.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:12 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: E61 with all the mods
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by DanL
If it did fall in there and make its way to the turbo, the turbo is toast. But I have a feeling it didn't drop in there and is actually resting on the bottom pan.
Yea, if it did in fact fall down there then the *pinging* noise was certainly the demise of the turbine blades. My father has an inspection camera/scope device I will borrow. My plan is to confirm the foreign object exists down there and if it does then a magnet/string combo sounds like an effective technic

Thanks for the responses so far,
Evan

Here is a video of the sound: