E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I Drive kicks A%%.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 06:08 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2002 330CIC with Sports and Premium (Sold 4/2005) 2005 545I Black Saphire Metalic, with Black Dakota Leather, Poplar trim. Sport Package, MTech Body kit and Spoiler, HUD, Comfort Seats, Navigation, Premium sound, CWP, Heated Rear Seats, Window shades. Valentine 1 hardwired, Aux input.

I have had it with people bitching about Idrive. It is the most inovative feature a car company has come up with in years. It is the center of a system that can control just about everything in the vehicle. It is a computer, and does need to boot up, but all computers do. If you keep clicking and do not wait for it, yes it sometimes does freaky things, but so will this laptop I am pecking away on, IBM thinkpad, and it definitely does not suck.

How many car companies can fix throttle issues, or add additional features by doing a software upgrade. If you dont like it, admit that you are not mechanically inclined, admit that you don't work on a computer every day, admit that you dont use email and still chicken scratch your to do list on a napkin. DO NOT SAY IDRIVE SUCKS! It is just plain an ignorant statement.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:14 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, Black on Black, cold weather pkg, Logic 7 sound, steptronic.

Originally Posted by LuvE60' date='May 19 2005, 08:08 PM
I have had it with people bitching about Idrive.? It is the most inovative feature a car company has come up with in years.? It is the center of a system that can control just about everything in the vehicle.? It is a computer, and does need to boot up, but all computers do.? If you keep clicking and do not wait for it, yes it sometimes does freaky things, but so will this laptop I am pecking away on,? IBM thinkpad, and it definitely does not suck.

How many car companies can fix throttle issues, or add additional features by doing a software upgrade.? If you dont like it, admit that you are not mechanically inclined, admit that you don't work on a computer every day, admit that you dont use email and still chicken scratch your to do list on a napkin.? DO NOT SAY IDRIVE SUCKS!? It is just plain an ignorant statement.
[snapback]130909[/snapback]
It seems like the only people who complain about IDrive are the ones who don't own the car. The people who use it every day seem to like it.

I'm guessing that BMW owners must be smarter than alot of people since we don't seem to have any problems figuring out IDrive while so many non-owners say it confuses them.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i Jet Black/Black Leather AUTO Sport Package Cold Weather Package Navigation Logic 7 Audio Satellite Radio Fold Down Rear Seats

I dont think IDrive sucks and I have a very strong technical background (programming etc.) But as a programmer I will say that I dont feel that the IDrive is tested thoroughly enough at times. There should be very few errors with the system by now it has been out long enough.

Im not bashing IDrive b/c I love it. I agree with what you say about people not spending enough time with it and less technical savvy people. But on the same token I can see where some of these people are coming from.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:03 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 525i, Silver, Black Leather, Automatic, Cold Weather, Sirius Prep and Radio, Premium Package, Xenon Lights.

I agree. I would rather have I-drive than 25 plastic buttons and a cluttered dash. I figured out I-drive on my first test drive (5 minutes). BMW & Audi have figured this out, the other car manufactures will follow. My only wish would be for the system to recall the last menu you entered prior to shutting the car off.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:44 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by dmw5678' date='May 19 2005, 09:03 PM
I agree. I would rather have I-drive than 25 plastic buttons and a cluttered dash. I figured out I-drive on my first test drive (5 minutes). BMW & Audi have figured this out, the other car manufactures will follow. My only wish would be for the system to recall the last menu you entered prior to shutting the car off.
[snapback]130930[/snapback]
Add Infiniti to that list of yours. Have you seen the 'I-drive' in the new M model? As they say, BMW is the apple hanging infront of a donkey!

BTW, I-Drive ROCKS!!!!
Old 05-19-2005, 07:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by dmw5678' date='May 19 2005, 08:03 PM
My only wish would be for the system to recall the last menu you entered prior to shutting the car off.
[snapback]130930[/snapback]
It does kind of. Yes you need to accept the lawyer screen and get the "desktop" but from there the last place in any of the 4 root menus is remembered. If you know that you need to slide an hold the puc
Old 05-20-2005, 07:10 AM
Man
Members

My Ride: 2005 525 Silver Gray/Black, Step, Premium, Cold, Xeon, 18" wheels

I totally love it. When I get in cars without it, I JUST SHAKE MY HEAD.

I drive is the schiznit.
Old 05-20-2005, 07:23 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i, Steptronic, coldweather, comfort seats, Logic 7, front/rear seat heaters, navigation. sirius

It's the future, there's little question of that. I can't imagine what the dash would look like if every iDrive function had it's own button/knob.

S/W upgrade is going to be standard on every car at some point, that's obvious. I was on the Infiniti M35/45 board. I totally killed one of their threads when I told them BMW would be adding MP3 support by simply a S/W upgrade.
Old 05-20-2005, 07:29 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine White/Biege 545i, CWP, Nav, Active Steering, Auto Step ordered 2/1/05

Originally Posted by LuvE60' date='May 19 2005, 09:08 PM
I have had it with people bitching about Idrive.? It is the most inovative feature a car company has come up with in years.? It is the center of a system that can control just about everything in the vehicle.? It is a computer, and does need to boot up, but all computers do.? If you keep clicking and do not wait for it, yes it sometimes does freaky things, but so will this laptop I am pecking away on,? IBM thinkpad, and it definitely does not suck.

How many car companies can fix throttle issues, or add additional features by doing a software upgrade.? If you dont like it, admit that you are not mechanically inclined, admit that you don't work on a computer every day, admit that you dont use email and still chicken scratch your to do list on a napkin.? DO NOT SAY IDRIVE SUCKS!? It is just plain an ignorant statement.
Ditto....

When I took delivery, my 10 year old (a normal 5th grader) was sitting in the back seat absorbing the SA's explanation on the use of I-Drive. It turns out that she had mastered the I-Drive based on the 15-minute demo and is now an expert at it.

One of two possibilities: Either my daughter is gifted (I don't think so) or the reviewers (R/T, C/D etc) and complainers have an IQ less than a 10-year-old.

No flames, please.
Old 05-20-2005, 07:43 AM
Members

Next time that you are in your BMW center, ask your service advisor to take you for a tour of the service department. ask to talk to one of the master techs and ask to see the latest diagnostic equipment that he uses to work on your car. Ask them to take you to the collision repair center and look at how they repair the front end of your E60. there is not a single car maker in the world that has utilized as much technology and latest in structural material as BMW had done for this beautiful car. I assure you your BMW tehc knows more about technology than most guys working at CSCO or INTC.

Those who hate IDRIVE are the ones who can not afford the price tag of
BMW.

Let them drive their chevy and ford!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW, did you know that the BMW logo is the 5th most recognized logo in the world? every kid in every corner of the globe or in every high school dreams of owning a BEEMMEERR

Originally Posted by LuvE60' date='May 19 2005, 10:08 PM

Quick Reply: I Drive kicks A%%.