E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I Drive

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 06:56 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' date='Feb 16 2005, 01:51 AM
[quote name='Hormazd' date='Feb 16 2005, 03:04 AM']BAD RAP
Unfortunately the I-Drive does have a bad a reputation. There is nothing I cannot accomplish deftly on my car. Voice activation has allowed much convenience and an automatic climate system with hard contols makes life easy.?? The press won't let go and? some of them are just plain computer deficient.?? That said I think they need to also accept that even they,? the self appointed gods of automotive destiny with there mighty pens,?? need to pull their thumbs out of their !@#$%s and RTFM.

FAIR RAP
But then we must give the devil its due.? Frankly if I did not have voice activation many things would actually be painfully tedious.? Like switching from an FM station to your preset AM station to listen to the market report news or traffic info.? Something that we all do regularly.? Instead of one button you have to slide down and hold, then one slide up and then rotate and push down.?? Or with Voice press the button,? wait for the tone,? then issue "AM Presets"? Then wait for the system to verify the command before letting you listen to AM.?? This as inconvenient as it is would be tolerable if the system was more responsive.? BMW must nail the performance of the interface before enhancing it.?? I hear here about Birds eye view NAV maps in V16x etc.?? I don't care.? I want the system to respond to the I-Wheel instantaneously and also boot up immediately.?? Fix that first BMW or this is far from the "Ultimate" solution.
[snapback]90736[/snapback]
I don't understand what you mean by boot up time! I have the smaller screen version and it works instantaneousley. Does the Pro version take time to work then?
[snapback]90747[/snapback]
[/quote]

With Pro NAV (which is the standard NAV in the US) we have the larger screen. The Lawyer warning is anooying, but the computer just takes an age to start up and then its un responsive.
Old 02-16-2005, 07:03 AM
Members

Originally Posted by wiszmaster' date='Feb 16 2005, 10:24 AM
reducing the number of buttons is great, as long as you don't have to go 3 menu levels deep
[snapback]90810[/snapback]
What common function can you name that requires that you do this?

As to slowness, this isn't a problem that's been particularly bad for me, but then it sounds like NAV accentuates this problem. Anytime you have stuff in complex software, its going to be slow until you get a couple of generations of releases under your belt.

BTW, I have seen slowness in non-iDrive functions, like the latency of the seatbelt light going away if you unbuckle and rebuckle up. Just shows to go you that this is an overall software issue, not just an iDrive issue.
Old 02-16-2005, 07:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by wiszmaster' date='Feb 15 2005, 02:36 PM
the A6's system is very nice actually - before slamming it you should try it.

its QUICK, simple to use, very straight forward.
here is a better view of the controls

just my $0.02 ... not that they count
[snapback]90577[/snapback]
I saw this system in the A8. I think its brilliantly designed. The screen responds to whater hard button you respond to. E.G. Turn the temp or fan speed up and the screen showw you a graphic of climate control. Turn radio volume up and the screen shows you a graphic of the audio controls. Great system. A few more hard buttons but certainly more intuitive.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' date='Feb 16 2005, 10:51 AM
I don't understand what you mean by boot up time! I have the smaller screen version and it works instantaneousley. Does the Pro version take time to work then?? ?
[snapback]90747[/snapback]
Pro nav takes longer to boot.

Originally Posted by urbo73' date='Feb 16 2005, 04:37 PM
Even though I love iDrive for its simplicity and elegancy, I have to admit that BMW could do a better job. And they are, but the issue is that by the time all the software updates come out and everything works as it should, I probably won't even have my car anymore! So in a way, I DO feel like I'm testing software for BMW. We all are! One day it may be perfect, but until then..
[snapback]90814[/snapback]

Don't worry. It gets better and better. When idrive came out it was worse. I am pretty sure the next generation of idrive will be waaay better again, maybe almost perfect. But until then, we have to stick with CIP releases that update our software.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:23 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i -6speed - Comfort Seats - Premium Package - Premium Sound Package - Cold Weather Package - Ventilated Seats - Xenon -HUD - PDC - Nav

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Feb 16 2005, 02:46 PM
Don't worry. It gets better and better. When idrive came out it was worse. I am pretty sure the next generation of idrive will be waaay better again, maybe almost perfect. But until then, we have to stick with CIP releases that update our software.

LOL - and I'm sure that BMW will give us a free update for the "NEW & IMPROVED - next generation" iDrive - few years down the road.

to your comment - its like telling a child with a brain tumor:

its ok - don't worry. with time things get better. when we first discovered brain tumors, people died righ away. nowadays for your generation, we can put them through chemo, stuff them with pills & such, BUT they will live a few extra years. HOWEVER - for the next generation of kids, they won't get brain tumors. but i guess that doesn't apply to you now, does it?!
Old 02-16-2005, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by wiszmaster' date='Feb 16 2005, 08:23 PM
[quote name='Iceman' date='Feb 16 2005, 02:46 PM']Don't worry. It gets better and better. When idrive came out it was worse. I am pretty sure the next generation of idrive will be waaay better again, maybe almost perfect. But until then, we have to stick with CIP releases that update our software.

LOL - and I'm sure that BMW will give us a free update for the "NEW & IMPROVED - next generation" iDrive - few years down the road.

to your comment - its like telling a child with a brain tumor:

its ok - don't worry. with time things get better. when we first discovered brain tumors, people died righ away. nowadays for your generation, we can put them through chemo, stuff them with pills & such, BUT they will live a few extra years. HOWEVER - for the next generation of kids, they won't get brain tumors. but i guess that doesn't apply to you now, does it?!
[snapback]90909[/snapback]
[/quote]
Of course a new generation of idrive will not be given to us as a free software upgrade.

This is not about a brain tumor.
Idrive is making it easier for us. Do you want to drive a car without all the features? No.
Just like your computer. It makes live easier for you so you accept, it, even though it crashes and is not at all a perfect system.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:38 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Feb 16 2005, 02:46 PM
But until then, we have to stick with CIP releases that update our software.
[snapback]90891[/snapback]
Iceman, I'm so proud of you for stating it right! It's a great day today. But you know, this thread could turn out to be the thread of the day. Everybody has their own inner "foglights" to face and battle with....