E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I discovered the easiest way to remove the rear

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

No tools necessary!!!

Unfortunately for me, it took someone slamming into me from behind while I was stopped in traffic to learn this new reflector removal technique.....

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Oh well, a preliminary look seems to be that the damage is limited to the rear bumper skin only and whatever lies behind it. Both red reflectors flew out and to the sides. Doesn't seem to be a lick of metal damage to the trunk or rear quarter panels and even though she pushed me into the car stopped in front of me, I ended up just tapping it so it doesn't look too bad up front.

The hit was pretty hard (the sunroof's sliding sunshade went from closed to about 2/3rds open on impact) but I have to say the car did a great job and, of course, I'm okay except for a few sore muscles that seem to be starting up now.

Don't even think about asking for pics.....
Old 07-21-2005, 05:56 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The new ones, for example '05MY come without the reflectors, but instead a body color panel in the shape of the reflector.
I'm sure you could just purchase these in any BMW parts dept. at your local dealership.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by nene' date='Jul 21 2005, 09:56 PM
The new ones, for example '05MY come without the reflectors, but instead a body color panel in the shape of the reflector.
I'm sure you could just purchase these in any BMW parts dept. at your local dealership.
[snapback]151730[/snapback]
Dude, I don't think you get the gist of my post...
Old 07-21-2005, 05:59 PM
Contributors

sorry about your ride, rudy. get 'er fixed, quick! (her insurance IS paying, right?)
Old 07-21-2005, 06:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Jul 21 2005, 06:58 PM
[quote name='nene' date='Jul 21 2005, 09:56 PM']The new ones, for example '05MY come without the reflectors, but instead a body color panel in the shape of the reflector.
[snapback]151735[/snapback]
[/quote]

Old 07-21-2005, 06:03 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Sorry to hear about that--sounds like you're OK, that the important thing.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by daydok' date='Jul 21 2005, 09:59 PM
sorry about your ride, rudy. get 'er fixed, quick! (her insurance IS paying, right?)
[snapback]151736[/snapback]
I'm 99.9% sure of that one!

First thing she says is "I am SO SORRY!" Then she goes on to say how tired she is and how long a day she had, etc. We had been in stop and go traffic going up a hill and she was behind me for some time. I creeped forward, stopped, remained stopped for about 15 seconds or so and wham! I think she dreamed I moved and she pressed the gas after she came to a stop. It wasn't one of those deals where she nose-dived under me during heavy braking -- she just accelerated right into my bumper and her bumper and mine met but she drove mine inward somewhat...
Old 07-21-2005, 06:07 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Jul 21 2005, 06:54 PM
No tools necessary!!!?

Unfortunately for me, it took someone slamming into me from behind while I was stopped in traffic to learn this new reflector removal technique.....

:'(? :'(? :'(? ? :'(? :'(? :'(

Oh well, a preliminary look seems to be that the damage is limited to the rear bumper skin only and whatever lies behind it.? Both red reflectors flew out and to the sides.? Doesn't seem to be a lick of metal damage to the trunk or rear quarter panels and even though she pushed me into the car stopped in front of me, I ended up just tapping it so it doesn't look too bad up front.

The hit was pretty hard (the sunroof's sliding sunshade went from closed to about 2/3rds open on impact) but I have to say the car did a great job and, of course, I'm okay except for a few sore muscles that seem to be starting up now.

Don't even think about asking for pics.....?
[snapback]151729[/snapback]

Rudy.......very sorry to hear that, but you know what.....I'd rather have bumper damage any day compared to body damage.

If it were me I would use it as an excuse to get the M-kit since you got to get a new rear bumper cover anyway ........but that' just me
Old 07-21-2005, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rodybmw' date='Jul 21 2005, 10:07 PM
Rudy.......very sorry to hear that, but you know what.....I'd rather have bumper damage any day compared to body damage.

If it were me I would use it as an excuse to get the M-kit since you got to get a new rear bumper cover anyway ........but that' just me
[snapback]151740[/snapback]
Yeah, so far, I'm bummed but not devastated. I haven't had anyone look at the car but I'm pretty confident that there's nothing that can't be fixed as good as new.

I thought about the M-kit and I like the looks of it but I also like the looks of the car without it almost as much. I'm in a lease so no need to spend money on something I'm giving back in less than 2 years...
Old 07-21-2005, 07:10 PM
Members

My Ride: '05 545 Sport Week 9

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Jul 21 2005, 06:58 PM
[quote name='nene' date='Jul 21 2005, 09:56 PM']The new ones, for example '05MY come without the reflectors, but instead a body color panel in the shape of the reflector.
[snapback]151735[/snapback]
[/quote]

Too funny....but seriously that sucks. Hopefully its as simple as a new bumper skin

Quick Reply: I discovered the easiest way to remove the rear