5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   I discovered the easiest way to remove the rear (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/i-discovered-easiest-way-remove-rear-13920/)

Rudy 07-21-2005 05:54 PM

No tools necessary!!!

Unfortunately for me, it took someone slamming into me from behind while I was stopped in traffic to learn this new reflector removal technique.....

:'( :'( :'( :angry: :'( :'( :'(

Oh well, a preliminary look seems to be that the damage is limited to the rear bumper skin only and whatever lies behind it. Both red reflectors flew out and to the sides. Doesn't seem to be a lick of metal damage to the trunk or rear quarter panels and even though she pushed me into the car stopped in front of me, I ended up just tapping it so it doesn't look too bad up front.

The hit was pretty hard (the sunroof's sliding sunshade went from closed to about 2/3rds open on impact) but I have to say the car did a great job and, of course, I'm okay except for a few sore muscles that seem to be starting up now.

Don't even think about asking for pics..... :P

nene 07-21-2005 05:56 PM

The new ones, for example '05MY come without the reflectors, but instead a body color panel in the shape of the reflector.
I'm sure you could just purchase these in any BMW parts dept. at your local dealership.

Rudy 07-21-2005 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by nene' date='Jul 21 2005, 09:56 PM
The new ones, for example '05MY come without the reflectors, but instead a body color panel in the shape of the reflector.
I'm sure you could just purchase these in any BMW parts dept. at your local dealership.
[snapback]151730[/snapback]

Dude, I don't think you get the gist of my post...

daydok 07-21-2005 05:59 PM

sorry about your ride, rudy. get 'er fixed, quick! (her insurance IS paying, right?)

swajames 07-21-2005 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Jul 21 2005, 06:58 PM
[quote name='nene' date='Jul 21 2005, 09:56 PM']The new ones, for example '05MY come without the reflectors, but instead a body color panel in the shape of the reflector.

[snapback]151735[/snapback]
[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

stream 07-21-2005 06:03 PM

Sorry to hear about that--sounds like you're OK, that the important thing.

Rudy 07-21-2005 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by daydok' date='Jul 21 2005, 09:59 PM
sorry about your ride, rudy. get 'er fixed, quick! (her insurance IS paying, right?)
[snapback]151736[/snapback]

I'm 99.9% sure of that one!

First thing she says is "I am SO SORRY!" Then she goes on to say how tired she is and how long a day she had, etc. We had been in stop and go traffic going up a hill and she was behind me for some time. I creeped forward, stopped, remained stopped for about 15 seconds or so and wham! I think she dreamed I moved and she pressed the gas after she came to a stop. It wasn't one of those deals where she nose-dived under me during heavy braking -- she just accelerated right into my bumper and her bumper and mine met but she drove mine inward somewhat...

rodybmw 07-21-2005 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Jul 21 2005, 06:54 PM
No tools necessary!!!?

Unfortunately for me, it took someone slamming into me from behind while I was stopped in traffic to learn this new reflector removal technique.....

:'(? :'(? :'(? :angry:? :'(? :'(? :'(

Oh well, a preliminary look seems to be that the damage is limited to the rear bumper skin only and whatever lies behind it.? Both red reflectors flew out and to the sides.? Doesn't seem to be a lick of metal damage to the trunk or rear quarter panels and even though she pushed me into the car stopped in front of me, I ended up just tapping it so it doesn't look too bad up front.

The hit was pretty hard (the sunroof's sliding sunshade went from closed to about 2/3rds open on impact) but I have to say the car did a great job and, of course, I'm okay except for a few sore muscles that seem to be starting up now.

Don't even think about asking for pics.....? :P
[snapback]151729[/snapback]

Rudy.......very sorry to hear that, but you know what.....I'd rather have bumper damage any day compared to body damage.

If it were me I would use it as an excuse to get the M-kit since you got to get a new rear bumper cover anyway :whistle: ........but that' just me :D

Rudy 07-21-2005 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by rodybmw' date='Jul 21 2005, 10:07 PM
Rudy.......very sorry to hear that, but you know what.....I'd rather have bumper damage any day compared to body damage.

If it were me I would use it as an excuse to get the M-kit since you got to get a new rear bumper cover anyway :whistle: ........but that' just me :D
[snapback]151740[/snapback]

Yeah, so far, I'm bummed but not devastated. I haven't had anyone look at the car but I'm pretty confident that there's nothing that can't be fixed as good as new.

I thought about the M-kit and I like the looks of it but I also like the looks of the car without it almost as much. I'm in a lease so no need to spend money on something I'm giving back in less than 2 years...

TitaniumGray5 07-21-2005 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Jul 21 2005, 06:58 PM
[quote name='nene' date='Jul 21 2005, 09:56 PM']The new ones, for example '05MY come without the reflectors, but instead a body color panel in the shape of the reflector.

[snapback]151735[/snapback]
[/quote]

:D

Too funny....but seriously that sucks. Hopefully its as simple as a new bumper skin