E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I bought the 04 545i SMG, let the fun begin...

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 08:09 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to those that responded to my questions a few days ago.

I picked up an 04 545i SMG, Silver Gray with Sport, CWP, Logic7, Nav, Comfort Seats, Shades, Spoiler, and Euro Reflectors. The car is an 03/04 build date, so I think it's not too "early" build.

I've only had the car a day, so I can't make any real comments. It is faster than the E39 540i that I was driving. The comfort seats have better adjustments than the E39. iDrive isn't as bad as I thought. I still need to set all my radio stations. Sound system is really nice. SMG is fun to use. I am still getting used to shifting. The car down shifts great!

The car has 36k miles on it and an extended maintenance with it.

I noticed the service indicator shows 900 miles. I will start making my list for the dealer. The brakes are squeaking, and the key fob doesn't open the trunk all the time. I've set off the panic mode trying to open the trunk... Also noticed that my eyebrows are not working. I guess I need to have the dealer try to update the car to make them turn on.

Still a little confused with the maintenance. Am I supposed to go by the stupid iDrive clock, or the countdown clock on the dashboard?

I will post pics after I wash the car.

Need to tint the car. I'm thinking of 35% all around. I had 20% all around on my E39, but it was just too dark. (for the cops) :thumbsdown:

Anyways, let the fun begin!

Chris
Old 02-21-2007, 08:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

Congrats on the car! Now, bring that to the Bay Area Meet we are having on March 31st in San Jose.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Originally Posted by ctsang1234' post='394188' date='Feb 22 2007, 12:09 AM
I've only had the car a day, so I can't make any real comments. It is faster than the E39 540i that I was driving. The comfort seats have better adjustments than the E39. iDrive isn't as bad as I thought. I still need to set all my radio stations. Sound system is really nice. SMG is fun to use. I am still getting used to shifting. The car down shifts great!
Shifting procedure:

1. Start in 1st gear. Press accelerator pedal lightly to begin movement, and pause while car begins to move. Continue to hold accelerator pedal in stationary position while clutch disengages. When you feel the clutch has disengaged, you can continue to press the pedal to accelerate more.

2. When you are ready to shift into the next gear, lightly release pressure off the accelerator pedal. They key is LIGHTLY. Do not move shoe off pedal.... instead think of lifting your foot inside your shoe. I basically try to curl my toes upward so they touch the top of the inside of my shoe. This action causes the car to slow slightly, which shifts the weight forward and off of the driving tires.

3. Click into the next gear.

4. Pause while the gear shifts, and the clutch disengages. By Pause, I mean hold your foot in the "toes curled" position on the accelerator. If you press the accelerator down while the car is shifting, you will get a rough jerk when the clutch disengages after the shift. So just be patient, wait for the shift to complete and the clutch to disengage... then you can continue to accelerate.

5. Accelerate in the next gear.

6. Repeat steps 2 - 5 through the rest of the gears.

The brakes are squeaking, and the key fob doesn't open the trunk all the time. I've set off the panic mode trying to open the trunk... Also noticed that my eyebrows are not working. I guess I need to have the dealer try to update the car to make them turn on.
Brakes sqeaking could be a problem with a sensor. There is a service bulletin on this.

To open the trunklid with the key, press and hold the trunk button for more than 1 second, but less than 2 seconds. If you press less than 1 second, then nothing happens. If you hold the trunk release button for more than 2 seconds, the alarm goes off. (Panic button). This is just one of those really bonehead decisions made by BMW. It just takes some practice to get used to the timing.

Still a little confused with the maintenance. Am I supposed to go by the stupid iDrive clock, or the countdown clock on the dashboard?
When you start the car, the information display in the instrument cluster will briefly flash a mileage. (In your case, it says 900 miles) This is the number of miles left until your next scheduled service. You can also click the Voice Command button and say: "Service Requirements". This will bring up your service computer, and you can check the various serviceable items. The items requiring service sooner will appear higher on the list.

Need to tint the car. I'm thinking of 35% all around. I had 20% all around on my E39, but it was just too dark. (for the cops) :thumbsdown:
I will recommend you go with Huper Optik tint. 30% I used this film on my E90, and it looks great, especially on silver cars. The tint on my E60 is a black color. The Huper Optik is a greyish color, which actually looks like it matches the paint on my Sparkling Graphite E90. It is VERY tasteful and classy looking, and the tint is not too dark for cops to have any complaints.... but the heat rejection is actually better.

Here's some pics to compare:

This is my 545i SMG, with 20% Llumar film. Notice the tint is a black color, and very dark.

Contrast that against my 325i. This has Huper Optik 30% film.

Old 02-22-2007, 07:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

Congrats!!! You now have a very rare species E60...Once you get the hang of SMG, you will be very disapointed that they stop making it...I Know I Am... :'(
Old 02-22-2007, 07:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Originally Posted by katheikia' post='394322' date='Feb 22 2007, 11:22 AM
Congrats!!! You now have a very rare species E60...Once you get the hang of SMG, you will be very disapointed that they stop making it...I Know I Am... :'(

Yes. We SMG owners should organize a large protest rally, and visit Germany.... make the people who decided to ditch SMG line up so we can kick 'em in the dick, one by one.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:56 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='394323' date='Feb 22 2007, 11:46 AM
Yes. We SMG owners should organize a large protest rally, and visit Germany.... make the people who decided to ditch SMG line up so we can kick 'em in the dick, one by one.
I think the people in Germany aren't the ones to kick, it's the typical US consumer that needs the kicking...

(and while we're at it, we can vent our frustrations on the typical clueless BMW sales consultant who doesn't know how to sell the SMG concept!)

Congrats on your car ctsang1234 -- you'll love it!!
Old 02-22-2007, 08:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

Bring it to the Bay Area Meet! I'll show you how to power shift and where your max powerband is in each gear while engaging in some spirited driving.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:06 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i SMG

Congrats on the 545 smg....Awesome car! Wow only 36K miles, thats about what I have on my 06!!!!!
Old 02-22-2007, 08:19 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 BMW 525i Premium Package, Xenon Lighting Package, manual Transmission. Titanium Grey, 20% Tint around the back, 70% V-Kool on front. Planned mods: Style 71 wheels with Toyo Proxy 4 tires, Sachs suspension upgrade, upgraded stereo, and many more to come.

One more option on tint:
I got 20% for the rear windows and the rear windshield, and I got 70% on the front windows. The front windows are using V-kool and it's a pretty cool product, looks almost non-tint, but it rejects heat better than the 20% ones on the back!
I have that done in Fremont, and I think it looks great on my titanium gray e60 =P
I can't imagine cops will be harassing you for such a light tint!

The V-kool is kind of pricy, but the heat rejection and light shade is great! To me 35% is too light, at least for really keeping the sun out of my daughter...
Old 02-22-2007, 06:10 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

congrats on the 545 man. heck yeah it is an awesome car. as for tint, i have 35% all around on mine. since mine is silver gray also, figured you could have a look at it just to be certain. with 35% during the day you could still see through the window. at night it almost looks like limo tint, almost. a couple other members with silver gray have also tinted theirs so you could check out their rides too.

Quick Reply: I bought the 04 545i SMG, let the fun begin...