E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I am a computer moron at the best of times......Pls Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 10:40 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's the problem.

05 registered 5 series with DVD nav (just below CD slot in dash board)

Navigation has started to show 'squares' instead of street names, it still shows motorway names and towns, and in the vehicle position display shows road names, and map still works showing vehicle position.

The phone, still shows my phone name on the display and can received calls via steering wheel controls, but does not now show address bookand will not download it.

I think it has had a 'brainfart', and the system needs rebooting, i have looked on the site, and found that if you press both eject buttons and some say mute others say volume button, this will reset the system. Have done this but don't beleive that is right, as it doesn't loose pairing or addresses so suspect that it is not a 'master reset' that I was hoping for.

Any ideas, please not in words of more than one syllable as as i have said I am a MORON

By the way, superb site
Old 12-15-2008, 03:36 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you try to remove the phone from the list of Paired phones and then re-pair?
Old 12-15-2008, 04:59 PM
Members

Ummm yeah did that

I renamed the phone, that didn't work
I read on here about deleteing contacts and trying a sample contact - that didn't work
I tried another 6230i - that didn't work

Seems to have had a proper 'spit the dummy out moment', just want to reboot (give it a slap) and try from there, so what doe's everyone reckon, how do you return the computer too 'out of the box' mode ?
Old 12-15-2008, 08:04 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530 XD TOURING Luxe, 231HP

Reset I drive (do a search. Million thread on this in forum).
Check the language choice on phone vs language choice in idrive. special characters might be the cause here...just a suggestion.

Good luck.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:37 AM
Members

I have done a search and as stated, have pressed the eject button and volume together which apparently does a reboot, but still to no avail. i am looking for a complete reset to factory. It seems that the two eject button method is not a complete reboot as it does not loose paired phones etc.

I have booked car into BMW for Tuesday 30th, for a diagnostics and software update. When i took it to them this morning to book it in, tech stated he had never seen a nav system work albeit apart from the street names !!

Interestingly part number for apple iphone 3G cradle 84 21 2 151 038 states non available in UK or Germany !!!!

We'll see, me thinks time to spend money to get it sorted
Old 12-16-2008, 09:15 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Busa1400' post='746425' date='Dec 16 2008, 10:37 AM
I have done a search and as stated, have pressed the eject button and volume together which apparently does a reboot, but still to no avail. i am looking for a complete reset to factory. It seems that the two eject button method is not a complete reboot as it does not loose paired phones etc.

I have booked car into BMW for Tuesday 30th, for a diagnostics and software update. When i took it to them this morning to book it in, tech stated he had never seen a nav system work albeit apart from the street names !!

Interestingly part number for apple iphone 3G cradle 84 21 2 151 038 states non available in UK or Germany !!!!

We'll see, me thinks time to spend money to get it sorted

From what I've experienced Idrive has little to do with the Bluetooth. I?ve had an entire CCC replaced and when I got the car back both my phones were still paired. I think all of the phone info including address book etc. is stored in the BT module in the trunk. The Idrive only interacts with the module sending commands (dial etc.) and receiving data to display (address book, caller ID?).

I don?t think there is a way for us to reset the BT module back to factory as you ask. The dealer might be able to with their equipment. Some people would suggest disconnecting the battery for a bit, but I doubt that will clear the BT module.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:24 AM
Senior Members

Also, another thought... the 6230i does not appear to be listed as a compatible phone. So some of the features may work but it is not guaranteed to have full functionality.

Current phones --> http://wireless4bmw.com/phones2.html
Older phones--> http://wireless4bmw.com/phones.html