E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Huge decision

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 05:37 PM
Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2004 525i, Silver Gray Metallic on gray, Logic7,Adaptive Xenons
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Well all the input was much appreciated but, not too surprising, the car had just as few options as my car, if not less. So with 20k more miles on it and less options, its not even a consideration anymore. Didn't have the cold weather package (i would kill for it), or the Logic 7(currently have it). But it did have the premium seats (the 350 direction freaking recliners)and navigation. So it didn't exactly wow me. If I found a 525i/28i/30i 6spd MT with cold weather package, navigation, premium and sport (it probably doesn't exist) I'll jump all over it. Every MT I've seen has absolutely no options then again who loads up a luxury car and then slaps a MT in it.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:41 PM
Administrator

Received 99 Likes on 95 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by PaoChe
Every MT I've seen has absolutely no options then again who loads up a luxury car and then slaps a MT in it.
I guess you haven't looked very hard, then. Yesterday, I purchased an '07 530xi I found on AutoTrader.com with 6-speed manual, Cold Weather package, Sport package, Premium package, Premium Sound System w/ DSP Sirius Satelite Radio, black on black with dark Poplar Wood trim and brand new tires with over 30,000 miles left on CPO and in pristine condition for just under $25K. It doesn't have NAV, but then again, I KNOW where I'm going :>)
Old 09-08-2010, 07:01 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 525i, Silver Gray Metallic on gray, Logic7,Adaptive Xenons
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

I searched for over a year going to dealerships all over the east coast for an E60, E39, E65, and the one I found was probably the best deal for the money at the time. I found only a few MT E60's and most were beat to hell. It was hilarious, found an MT E60 and there wasn't a single body panel that wasn't horrifically dented or scratched, they must have parked by feel. When I questioned the dealer if they were seriously trying to sell it their response was that it hadn't been "detailed" yet
Old 09-09-2010, 04:54 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535i 6-speed
Model Year: 2008

I searched for over a year going to dealerships all over the east coast for an E60, E39, E65, and the one I found was probably the best deal for the money at the time. I found only a few MT E60's and most were beat to hell. It was hilarious, found an MT E60 and there wasn't a single body panel that wasn't horrifically dented or scratched, they must have parked by feel. When I questioned the dealer if they were seriously trying to sell it their response was that it hadn't been "detailed" yet
Here's mine for sale...bet you haven't come across one this clean...

https://5series.net/forums/topic/920...-nav-heated-s/
Old 09-09-2010, 05:32 AM
Members

LIke the snotty waiter in the fancy restaurant - it depends on how badly you want MT. My personal preference runs the other way but I'm driving a 2010 535i with sport auto which never lets me down so long as I keep it in sport mode, which I do except when leisurely cruising with passengers in the car. If I were 20 years younger, I might feel differently, but then I'd be driving a 335i with mods.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:01 AM
Administrator

I searched for over a year going to dealerships all over the east coast ...
Any reason why you restricted yourself to dealerships? Yeah, you may be able to elicit some guarantees and the buying process is more straightforward, but I found that their prices are also thousands more than buying from a private owner.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:06 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Allen
Here's mine for sale...bet you haven't come across one this clean...
...and your price is why you haven't sold it since January.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:27 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535i 6-speed
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by jayarras
Any reason why you restricted yourself to dealerships? Yeah, you may be able to elicit some guarantees and the buying process is more straightforward, but I found that their prices are also thousands more than buying from a private owner.
I know I'm a little biased here...having one for sale...but honestly I have always avoided dealers...especially the "high-end" used car dealers. These guys are in the business of buying low and selling high...typically buying cars with damage and having "their people" fix the damage on the cheap, then selling the car for "no damage" prices. They also know all the tricks of the trade in terms of getting a car 'prepared' for sale...cleaning up leaks, touching up interior damage, putting on new (usually cheap) tires...that sort of thing.

I have a buddy who JUST bought a '08 Mercedes C350 w/ 23K miles from a dealership. This car has new (cheap) tires...suppose to be staggered sizes...they weren't, had no manuals, no receipts, missing a key, and suppose to have new oil...it wasn't. I mean who "looses" a key, manuals, receipts or whatever from a '08 23K miles Mercedes. A private seller of a higher end car is usually gonna be up front with everything, will usually have all the records, books, keys, etc....especially if he is the original owner. So that's my take on it...again, I know I am biased here, but that doesn't change anything...I bought my 911 from an private party and I was recently looking at another sports car, and looked only at private party sales.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:35 PM
Members

I waited for the perfect MT 550i. I love it. I get both sides of the arguement. If you are not committed to MT then go AT--you will be less likely to regret it in stop-and-go traffic (that we frequently have here in Seattle). My MT is a bit more finnicky than other manuals I have driven (my guess is the torque). I tried teaching my 17 year old son how to drive it--I don't recommend that.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:47 PM
Banned

"who looses a key?"

First off it is loses,

Second are you serious, many people lose keys all the time

Quick Reply: Huge decision