E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

howto change system language to german?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 09:27 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i -6speed - Comfort Seats - Premium Package - Premium Sound Package - Cold Weather Package - Ventilated Seats - Xenon -HUD - PDC - Nav

is there a way to change the system language to german/deutsch? there are only 3 listed, where neither of them are german/deutsch.

thanks guys,

--marco
Old 11-10-2004, 10:04 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW M-Power

I understand that the US market cars are set up in on English (US/Canada) French (Canada) and Spanish (US/Mexico). The only way to make your car to speak in German is to un-plug the battery and reset (system flash) the nav system. The system will go back to the default mode (mother tongue if you will ) and speak in German.

A word of warning, unless you have the update disk to upload into your system, your car will NOT speak English

Good luck,

beewang
Old 11-10-2004, 10:16 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If unplug the battery and the car get back to default, would i-Drive warning still there?
Old 11-10-2004, 07:36 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i -6speed - Comfort Seats - Premium Package - Premium Sound Package - Cold Weather Package - Ventilated Seats - Xenon -HUD - PDC - Nav

interesting ... wonder if that works ... kind of doubtful .. what happened if the bat died .. your system would be in a different language?! somehow doubtful.

car is at the dealer right now getting a software update ... i will ask tomorrow morning.
Old 11-12-2004, 04:29 AM
Members

Do a search on the forum for German language, I posted my experience sometime ago. Here's the short of it: I had asked my dealer to set the car to German when it was in for service, and they did so (they said I was lucky because the BMW rep was in that day and knew how to do it, they didn't know). With that, all the display text was in German, BUT: the voice commands and navigation directions did not work at all, no sound. I took the car back to have that fixed, and they tried for two days, reloading the software several times, but could not get it to work. They ended up having to reload the US version. However, when I had taken the car to get this fixed, I used the other key, not the one for the previous visit, and interestingly the key from the first visit still had the setting for German. Now I have one key with which to drive the car in German, and the other for the standard US version. When using German, the voice commands do work, but are in English, and the language selection menu does not really contain German as an option -- once I go in there, I have no way of selecting German and would lose the setting if I made any selection. So, there are some very mysterious ways in which the keys work...
(Unfortunately, I will likely loose the German setting again completely as my car has been rather damaged in an accident and the repairs will probably reset the software at some point :-( )
--Peter
Old 11-12-2004, 07:55 AM
Senior Members

interesting .. in that case it seems to be more of a pain in the ass than anything else. I guess english will do it ;-)

Thanks again.

--marco