E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to replace your BMW battery!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 04:46 AM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

I am driving with an 'unregistered' battery - '06 530i (N52, E60). I simply bought a new battery at BMW for $240. I replaced the battery myself. I will update y'all if I run in to any issues in the future.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:44 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello

true... see the following doc coming from BMW TIS : http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6738336/SI%2...l%20series.pdf

Matt
Old 04-08-2011, 01:38 PM
Members

BMW TIS also says we have lifetime tranny fluid...
Old 04-08-2011, 07:03 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Sport, Sound, Cold weather package, Steptronic, Logic 7, Sunshades, CD changer in glove. Alpine White, with light tan Dakota leather, Good seats. Just out of warranty. Previous: 1997 528i. Sold '09. 1981 320i. Sold '89.

I'm sorry if this has been done a lot. I'm also new here. I came here because I did buy a battery for my 545i 2004 last Oct. I had error messages for months. I had my freelance BMW mechanics buy the new battery and install it. I see now this is too much for guys that don't have access to BMW website for repairs on these newer electronic cars.
I did take it to BMW and they gave me a bill for $2100. I thought there was a leak somewhere, and whatever the error messages were.
Then I was getting more messages. Back into the shop. New battery, the BMW battery. and the "re-programing" of said battery. My old battery is in the trunk. I was too afraid to work outside the box. That cost me $800.
iDrive or computer is still funky. I don't drive my car a lot. It's a 2004 with 46,000 miles on it.
I want to get a aux jack for my iPod but I don't want to screw with the goodies of this car if it is going to continue to bleed me dry. In 6 weeks I spent $4200.00.

So is not driving a lot a big problem? Will this continue?
How many miles is enough?
Thanks
Old 04-08-2011, 08:22 PM
Members

My Ride: 07 550i Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Steptronic, Sport, Premium, Nav, Sat. Radio, Logic 7, Comfort Access, Rear Sunshade.

Originally Posted by Houndstoothck
I'm sorry if this has been done a lot. I'm also new here. I came here because I did buy a battery for my 545i 2004 last Oct. I had error messages for months. I had my freelance BMW mechanics buy the new battery and install it. I see now this is too much for guys that don't have access to BMW website for repairs on these newer electronic cars.
I did take it to BMW and they gave me a bill for $2100. I thought there was a leak somewhere, and whatever the error messages were.
Then I was getting more messages. Back into the shop. New battery, the BMW battery. and the "re-programing" of said battery. My old battery is in the trunk. I was too afraid to work outside the box. That cost me $800.
iDrive or computer is still funky. I don't drive my car a lot. It's a 2004 with 46,000 miles on it.
I want to get a aux jack for my iPod but I don't want to screw with the goodies of this car if it is going to continue to bleed me dry. In 6 weeks I spent $4200.00.

So is not driving a lot a big problem? Will this continue?
How many miles is enough?
Thanks
What did the dealer do for $2k? And if you're still having problems after dropping $2k, why didn't you have them correct the problem? The highest I've seen a dealer charge for a new battery, installation, and registering is $500. Your service advisor should have informed you that if you don't drive your car frequently at highway speed, you should buy a battery tender which is a trickle charger.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

Originally Posted by black550_m5sport
It's silly. Just do the math. Anyone who can use a crescent wrench can buy a compatible battery at any number of sources for at most $140 and exchange it for the one in their "complicated" BMW without registration. Even if it only lasts half as long as a registered BMW battery (which I think is very pessimistic) it is still cheaper to buy two non-BMW batteries than paying for just one gold plated BMW battery with registration. Add in the potential to take adavantage of the battery warranty and you are even further ahead. This isn't rocket science or nuclear energy we are dealing with, it's just common sense. I've had a Duralast in my 545 for over a year, don't drive it frewuently or for long distances and I have not had so much as a hint of an issue with it. Don't get sucked into the hype.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530 d M-sport e60

So if it`s hype, why is the battery registration functions in Progman / ITSA/p and DIS?, I personally have a Varta 110ah battery I bought off ebay for £90 but I still took the steps to register it to the car with my own Progman / DIS setup.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:24 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 530D E60

Yup, +1 on battery registration. Bmw put it into their diagnostic software for good reason, i also replaced my battery this year with a 90Ah Varta unit and registered the unit.
Took this from another forum, but it explains it quite well...

"We have got to remember this coding/registering (BTW and indie's can do it, so not a dealer only option) is the first step towards the ED features and brake regeneration, etc. Energy management is definitely a step forward from E46/39 technology and it can't work efficiently if not given the starting parameters, (battery size, capacity, etc.), simply to prevent future unwanted side effects. Even changing an alternator can cause issues if not carrying the correct chip.

The energy management will trim energy demands to keep a 'start-up' capacity. Consumables like the heated rear screen, will not function if the battery won't support the demand, so we are now in a different game even for something like a simple battery.

The truth is, we have so many features/options now, which demand current, that a simple battery just isn't efficient and able to cope with the average use a car gets, without a management system.

It appears more manufacturers are heading this way, it seems Audi may have a simpler change for the battery, but I've read they still do benefit from a garage coding. The other issue is, some cars lose functions on disconnecting the battery, so re-initialisation of features has to be undertaken. The computer link up ensures all functions are working and loogged to the management system."

Gav
Old 04-16-2011, 09:32 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530d M Sport Automatic, Le Mans Edition.Le Mans Blue Individual Paint Special, Syrah Blue Individual Leather, Piano Black Individual Interior Trim, Front seat heating,M Double Spoke 172 19

Regarding the two types of battery fitted to the E60 i.e. sealed lead-acid (white in colour)or AGM (black in colour),I recall reading somewhere that after March 2007 the AGM was standard fitment.The AGM does not have the "magic eye" charge indicator but both types of battery have the vent tube fitted.I also found the following article where the answer is from a BMW Senior Technician :-

" Does replacement of the battery in a 2005 BMW 530i have to be done at a dealer?

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters

Hi,

Technically no it does not, however it would be preferable and I will explain why. Firstly, on your BMW the energy management system needs to be told that a new battery has been fitted. This is done by registering the replacement through the BMW diagnostic computer. Without getting too in depth this is important as to the charging characteristics etc.

Secondly there are two types of battery fitted to BMW's. The earlier standard Lead Acid battery (white casing) and the later AGM (Absorbent Glass Mat) in a black casing,

If you have the white casing type you could fit any battery of similar type without registering if you really wanted to avoid the dealer, although I would advise it best to get it registered for a prolonged battery life.

If you have the AGM type it is especially important that it is replaced like for like and the replacement is registered as explained above. If you fit an older type Lead Acid the battery will be overcooked and useless in no time at all.

I hope that helps,
Good luck, Pyth

Source(s):

I am a BMW Senior Technician "
Old 05-09-2011, 03:17 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW 530D M-Sport, Steptronic, Grey Metallic, Retrofits: Sport Comfort Black Leather, M-Sport Alu Cube Dash Trim, Shadow Line Trim, CCC Pro Nav, Full M5 Conversion, M5 Mirrors, Quad M5, 20" M5 Gloss Black wheels, AC High Panel, Internal Boot Release, Mods: Xenons, Carbon Fibre Roof, Dension 500, Drilled & Grooved Discs,

how do you register the battery in dis or sss

Quick Reply: How to replace your BMW battery!