5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   How to replace your BMW battery! (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/how-replace-your-bmw-battery-111965/)

black550_m5sport 04-07-2011 06:12 PM

http://www.ehow.com/how_7649980_regi...w-battery.html

Amazing.

Is it true? :unsure:

Small Tomato 04-07-2011 06:23 PM

I'd go back to the stealer for battery replacement just for peace of mind.
Usually a battery would last 3+ years, so I think the higher cost for changing battery is being washed over the time.

Persian_535i 04-07-2011 08:18 PM

I've also heard that if you replace the battery yourself you need to get it programmed so the ecu knows the battery has been replaced. Otherwise it will continue to use the battery as if it was the old battery and the life will be shortened. I had an increased battery discharge message on my car a month ago and took it in for service and the dealer refused to replace it under warranty saying they ran tests and the vehicle was not being driven enough. I waited about a month and took it to another dealer and they replaced the battery under warranty no questions asked. The first dealer wanted to charge me $400+ for a new battery so I feel your pain it is pricey, I guess I got lucky.

EBMCS03 04-07-2011 08:35 PM

yes that article is true...

ron_cb550 04-07-2011 08:47 PM

Borrow tools? :drool: You guys must have nice dealerships! lol Try to act surprised when they hammer-home the infamous $100/hr+ labor rate, they like that :thumbsup:

Anyway, battery replacement is DIY'able, you can find links to the guides & software in search

swajames 04-07-2011 09:01 PM

I would *love* to see some actual evidence that a non dealer-supplied and "registered" battery doesn't operate perfectly well.

I have always suspected that the "registration" requirement is entirely bogus - essentially nothing more than a facilitation enabling dealers to charge twice the replacement cost of a perfectly serviceable non-OEM replacement.

tooltec 04-07-2011 11:05 PM

Battery replacement/registration has been covered so many times with (as usual)different opinions on the pros and cons.
Last winter,due to my car being garaged for over a month,I decided to charge the battery because of the Low Battery warning and I followed the BMW procedure,i.e.via the jump start terminals in the engine bay.I then thought,what if I had disconnected the negative cable on the battery and charged via the battery terminals and then reconnected the negative? Would the computer system think that the battery had been replaced rather than just recharged?Think about it!
In my view,for a DIY job,provided that you replace your battery with an identical specification unit,there should be no problems with charging and battery life.

BLooD 04-08-2011 12:48 AM

Battery registration is not a myth, The functions are there in both progman / ISTA/p and DIS, The DDE / DME modules keep a log of all the battery changes done on the car plus it controls how the alternator sends charge to the battery, also the Car Access module needs to know the battery has been changed, in pre sept/2005 E60`s the Micro Power Module would also have needed to know the battery had been changed.

This subject comes up time and time again, lets put it to rest please. If you change your battery for one of the same then maybe it will be ok but a battery of lower or higher charge or an AGM battery would need to be registered.

lightfytr 04-08-2011 01:37 AM

The question really should be is there any negative impact in not registering the battery or buying a battery which is not 100% to spec? Will/can the car be damaged? If the new battery is not a strong as the oem. No one has yet to describe any negative/permanent affects as a result of the battery. Mine came from wal-mart for $80 with a 7 year no questions asked pro rated warranty. Beat that!

krzyschicago 04-08-2011 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by lightfytr (Post 1327325)
The question really should be is there any negative impact in not registering the battery or buying a battery which is not 100% to spec? Will/can the car be damaged? If the new battery is not a strong as the oem. No one has yet to describe any negative/permanent affects as a result of the battery. Mine came from wal-mart for $80 with a 7 year no questions asked pro rated warranty. Beat that!

+1

I had the same concerns last week. Please see the thread I posted "anyone driving with unregistred battery"