E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

How much torque?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 05:08 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 BMW 550, Sport, Navi, PS, CWP, Sirius

Originally Posted by ipse dixit' post='231714' date='Jan 29 2006, 10:41 PM
Yes, you will be disappointed with the low-end torque of the 5er (either in I6 or V8 versions). Tis the way BMW does business ... high-rev engines with generally flat torque bands.

Now, if you want a similar car with that low rpm, snap-your-neck-back giddyup, try the G35 sedan or coupe. Infiniti did a really nice job with the VQ35 engine on that car, lots of low end thump.

The relatively low torque numbers at the lower rpm bands is one of the reasons why some people with 530s or 545s will lose out to "lesser-endowed" cars going from a standstill to 60 mph.

Having said all of that, while having gobs of torque is fun, real drivers and real driving experiences are all about being able to handle the engine at any torque range -- low end torque sort of makes that difficult to do.

Good luck with your buying decision.

Cheers.
This is the most ridicules post I've seen lately. Have your ever driven a V8 5-series? G35 may have more torque than 530 but 545 is a completely different animal. It will easily destroy any Infiniti sedan including the mighty M45. It is weird that M45 is considered to be slower than 545 but much faster than M/G35 and somehow G35 is became faster tp 60mph that 545. Something is going on here. It is the second time G35 is presented as being a faster car than 545 on this board. For god sake go drive the G. Compared to 545 it has NO torque at ANY RPM. Hei, my old 540 was faster than G35.

To Pontiac guy: The powertrain in your old car is bad, it is very bad. More or less torque does not really matter when the powertrain is so bad. The 530 powertrain is pretty good, not very powerful but good. In real life situations BMW will feel much faster and powerful. Keep in mind that 0-60mph for Grand Prix is around 8 sec. 530 will do 0-60 in 6.5sec. Big difference and I do not even want to get into I6 vs. V6 discussion.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

It's important to understand the relationship between torque and horsepower but it's just as important to understand that torque is usually represented with an rpm figure too. If a car has a higher torque figure but it comes in at a higher rpm, it's not necessarily "better" than a car with less torque at a lower rpm. BMW usually engineer their cars to provide torque at a lower rpm than many other manufacturers.

The following links will help explain what I can't ever seem to explain very well:

http://www.epinions.com/auto-review-41B8-B...-3A19AD8A-prod4

http://forums.autoweek.com/thread.jspa?for...=23571&tstart=0

http://www.pumaracing.co.uk/power1.htm
Old 01-30-2006, 07:08 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by SergeyM' post='232212
Yes, you will be disappointed with the low-end torque of the 5er (either in I6 or V8 versions). Tis the way BMW does business ... high-rev engines with generally flat torque bands.

Now, if you want a similar car with that low rpm, snap-your-neck-back giddyup, try the G35 sedan or coupe. Infiniti did a really nice job with the VQ35 engine on that car, lots of low end thump.

The relatively low torque numbers at the lower rpm bands is one of the reasons why some people with 530s or 545s will lose out to "lesser-endowed" cars going from a standstill to 60 mph.

Having said all of that, while having gobs of torque is fun, real drivers and real driving experiences are all about being able to handle the engine at any torque range -- low end torque sort of makes that difficult to do.

Cheers.
This is the most ridicules post I've seen lately. Have your ever driven a V8 5-series? G35 may have more torque than 530 but 545 is a completely different animal. It will easily destroy any Infiniti sedan including the mighty M45. It is weird that M45 is considered to be slower than 545 but much faster than M/G35 and somehow G35 is became faster tp 60mph that 545. Something is going on here. It is the second time G35 is presented as being a faster car than 545 on this board. For god sake go drive the G. Compared to 545 it has NO torque at ANY RPM. Hei, my old 540 was faster than G35.

To Pontiac guy: The powertrain in your old car is bad, it is very bad. More or less torque does not really matter when the powertrain is so bad. The 530 powertrain is pretty good, not very powerful but good. In real life situations BMW will feel much faster and powerful. Keep in mind that 0-60mph for Grand Prix is around 8 sec. 530 will do 0-60 in 6.5sec. Big difference and I do not even want to get into I6 vs. V6 discussion.
[/quote]

At least please allow me the opportunity to genuflect before your clear superiority.

I am clearly not worthy in all other respects.
Old 01-30-2006, 07:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xi. Deep green with beige interior. 6 speed manual. Premium package.

Always willling to add my opinion
2 cars ago has a pontiac grand prix GTP - the 3.8 with the supercharger
I don't care what you guys say - that car would move
I remeber the 0-60 times printed by the car mags in the 6.5 sec range
Handling - not really
FWD - yeah
but slam on the gas and it would go
did a much better job with highway acceleration than it did from a stop
IMHO was a great drive train for less than $24,000

yeah it was a pontiac - so lots of gadgets - even had HUD - which I liked but not enough to get it on the BMW

but as for power it was a great car
My 530xi wants to be above 4,000 rpms - the pontiac did not care
Old 01-30-2006, 07:20 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550, Sport, Navi, PS, CWP, Sirius

Originally Posted by ipse dixit' post='232264
Originally Posted by ipse dixit' post='231714' date='Jan 29 2006, 10:41 PM

Cheers.

At least please allow me the opportunity to genuflect before your clear superiority.

I am clearly not worthy in all other respects.
[/quote]

I am sorry if I was not respectful enough but some of your statements just sound strange. If you say something like BMW V8s do not have much torque compared to 5.5 liter AMG engines, I would accept it with no problem. Here is another try: "Yes, you will be disappointed with the low-end torque of the Acura TL. This the way Honda does business ... high-rev engines with generally flat torque bands. Sounds fine. I have no problem with it and no one would.

"either in I6 or V8 versions" is just plain wrong. BMW V8s are very different from BMW I6s. That?s how BMW does business? Very powerful V8s and just OK I6s.
Old 01-30-2006, 07:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by dgjk' post='232268' date='Jan 30 2006, 08:14 PM
Handling - not really
FWD - yeah

yeah it was a pontiac - so lots of gadgets - even had HUD - which I liked but not enough to get it on the BMW

Think the original poster was talking about the non-supercharged 3.8 - but I agree with you that the GTP powertrain was a very different proposition, and was decent value for money.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by SergeyM' post='232212
Handling - not really
FWD - yeah

OK, who are you posting under dgjk's handle? You are not the dgjk I know. Are you his split personality? And, I should mention that the supercharged Pontiac's are one of the types of cars that I like to torment with my 85 RX-7. There is nothing as much fun as a stealther. Driving a really good stealther is like driving a really good practical joke.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:31 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Don't be hatin' on Pontiac!

The Trans Am was KITT in Knight Rider!