E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

How much torque?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 09:41 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Originally Posted by Znod' post='231764
I happen to think my 545's torque levels off pretty low in the powerband. I think the specs are 330lb-ft@3600. The car is really really fast, but I'm used to driving sports cars that need to rev high - feels more exciting to me.
It looks to me like the 545i stays above 285 ft. lbs. (387 Nm) from about 1900 RMP through about 6100 RPM. And, it appears to me that it stays above 295 ft. lbs. (400 Nm) from about 2200 RPM to 5700 RPM. That seems pretty good for a 330 ft. lb. max. engine. See the graph below.
[/quote]

No doubt. Please don't take my comments too harshly. The BMW V8 is one of the best engines in its class. Its just that after 4k rpm, well, it gets a bit boring. The acceleration tapers down a bit, and as all the members who've gotten aftermarket exhausts realized, there's even less noise! Its like all the action is down below 4k, and there's no need to rev high. I guess I just prefer highly strung engines...

If anything, my post should be taken simply to contradict the members who posted above that the 545 lacks torque in the low end.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by jet190rs' post='231788' date='Jan 30 2006, 01:41 AM
No doubt. Please don't take my comments too harshly. The BMW V8 is one of the best engines in its class. Its just that after 4k rpm, well, it gets a bit boring. The acceleration tapers down a bit, and as all the members who've gotten aftermarket exhausts realized, there's even less noise! Its like all the action is down below 4k, and there's no need to rev high. I guess I just prefer highly strung engines...

If anything, my post should be taken simply to contradict the members who posted above that the 545 lacks torque in the low end.
Got it; thanks. I was sort of replying to them also with my comments to you. I wasn't completely sure what all you meant to imply.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:01 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2003 X5 3.0----->gone 2004 Porsche Cayenne S : Gemballa front and back bodykit, fabspeed bypass pipes, Gemballa exhaust pipes, full option, 20" factory sport design rims------>gone 2005 545i 6-spd manual---->de-badged, CDV removal, Autosolutions short shift kit, resonator removal, premium package, PDC, xenon, almost full options, hardwire V1 install ....looking for mods... 2007 550i 6-spd----> Premium package, sport package, Logic7, heated everything, Rogue Engineering SSK, CDV removal, hardwire V1 install, aFe cold air intake, Custom Magnaflow exhaust....

Originally Posted by jet190rs' post='231788
Originally Posted by jet190rs' post='231739' date='Jan 30 2006, 12:03 AM
I happen to think my 545's torque levels off pretty low in the powerband. I think the specs are 330lb-ft@3600. The car is really really fast, but I'm used to driving sports cars that need to rev high - feels more exciting to me.
It looks to me like the 545i stays above 285 ft. lbs. (387 Nm) from about 1900 RMP through about 6100 RPM. And, it appears to me that it stays above 295 ft. lbs. (400 Nm) from about 2200 RPM to 5700 RPM. That seems pretty good for a 330 ft. lb. max. engine. See the graph below.

[/quote]
I totally agree with that statement. No sound at all from my B&B after 4K rpm...and acceleration suffers as well. Hope a chip upgrade might be able to solve that issue...
Old 01-30-2006, 08:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Jeffs' post='231943
Originally Posted by Znod' post='231764' date='Jan 30 2006, 01:03 AM
[quote name='jet190rs' post='231739' date='Jan 30 2006, 12:03 AM']

[/quote]
I totally agree with that statement. No sound at all from my B&B after 4K rpm...and acceleration suffers as well. Hope a chip upgrade might be able to solve that issue...
[/quote]I didn't interpret his remark to mean that the B&B causes the car to slow down after 4k. Usually, some will claim that mods hurt low-end torque, but I have never seen anyone claim that they hurt high-end torque or acceleration. Either of you? What is your evidence, if any, that a B&B reduces torque or acceleration after 4k? Mine certainly doesn't seem to do so. I assume you have seen my zero to 60 and 1/8th results. I agree that you can't hear the B&B in the car as the car goes faster, but that's simply a function of competing noise. You'd hear it just as well if you were outside the car regardless of the car's speed.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:55 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Originally Posted by Znod' post='231951
Originally Posted by jet190rs' post='231788' date='Jan 30 2006, 01:41 AM
[quote name='Znod' post='231764' date='Jan 30 2006, 01:03 AM']
[quote name='jet190rs' post='231739' date='Jan 30 2006, 12:03 AM']

[/quote]
[/quote]I didn't interpret his remark to mean that the B&B causes the car to slow down after 4k. Usually, some will claim that mods hurt low-end torque, but I have never seen anyone claim that they hurt high-end torque or acceleration. Either of you? What is your evidence, if any, that a B&B reduces torque or acceleration after 4k? Mine certainly doesn't seem to do so. I assume you have seen my zero to 60 and 1/8th results. I agree that you can't hear the B&B in the car as the car goes faster, but that's simply a function of competing noise. You'd hear it just as well if you were outside the car regardless of the car's speed.
[/quote]

I have not felt a difference in performance after installing the Remus exhaust.

As for the sound, even when I'm parked and just rev it, I still think above 4k RPM is quieter than below 4K RPM. My theory is that -
1) The aftermarket exhausts amplify the sounds below 4k RPM more than the sounds above 4k RPM.
or
2) The aftermarket exhausts amplify the sounds from the entire RPM range equally, but the V8 engine was quieter above 4k RPM to begin with, so after amplification it became easier to notice how much quieter it was.
Old 01-30-2006, 03:38 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jet190rs' post='232108' date='Jan 30 2006, 04:55 PM
I didn't interpret his remark to mean that the B&B causes the car to slow down after 4k. Usually, some will claim that mods hurt low-end torque, but I have never seen anyone claim that they hurt high-end torque or acceleration. Either of you? What is your evidence, if any, that a B&B reduces torque or acceleration after 4k? Mine certainly doesn't seem to do so. I assume you have seen my zero to 60 and 1/8th results. I agree that you can't hear the B&B in the car as the car goes faster, but that's simply a function of competing noise. You'd hear it just as well if you were outside the car regardless of the car's speed.
I have not felt a difference in performance after installing the Remus exhaust.

As for the sound, even when I'm parked and just rev it, I still think above 4k RPM is quieter than below 4K RPM. My theory is that -
1) The aftermarket exhausts amplify the sounds below 4k RPM more than the sounds above 4k RPM.
or
2) The aftermarket exhausts amplify the sounds from the entire RPM range equally, but the V8 engine was quieter above 4k RPM to begin with, so after amplification it became easier to notice how much quieter it was.
That's pretty much what I thought you meant.
Old 01-30-2006, 04:12 PM
Senior Members

You're having the Pontiac mentality. So the BMW has less torque? There's no comparison. Whenever I'm unfortunate enough to get stuck with a Pontiac rental, the engine sounds like a coffee grinder. And how about those 32 toggle switches all over the dash? Join the BMW club!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Free your soul!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-30-2006, 04:15 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 "Stripper" Now C6 "Stripper"
Talking

Why do Pontiac and BMW have "kidney" grilles?

I think the Grand Prix's (Impala's too) with the 5.3 V8's would be ok if i was on a budget and wanted a sedan with an 8.

Flame suit on!
Old 01-30-2006, 04:21 PM
Senior Members

No flame suit required. I concur. But I hate budgets.
Old 01-30-2006, 04:21 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 530iii' post='232192' date='Jan 30 2006, 08:15 PM
Why do Pontiac and BMW have "kidney" grilles?

I think the Grand Prix's (Impala's too) with the 5.3 V8's would be ok if i was on a budget and wanted a sedan with an 8.

Flame suit on!
I don't know why BMW adopted that style long ago. But, now it is tradition. I think it is a nice design for a grill. I was noticing today how nice the line is over the grill across the hood and over the headlight of my 545i.

I have no problem with any car or what car one likes, but I think the US manufacturers could do much better with design in general--with some exceptions of course--e.g., Corvettes, Vipers, Mustangs, Chryslers in general, the Solstice, and some more I can't think of now. If I was going to buy an American sedan I'd look at the Chrysler 300 and its bigger brother--and some other interesting ones are on the way--e.g., the Camaro, etc.

Quick Reply: How much torque?