E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

How many 6-speed E60's were made...?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 12:30 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DD_545i' post='755273' date='Dec 29 2008, 03:59 PM
Maybe the F10 will be the last 5er with the manual option. It's already happening on some cars (Audi RS6, Mercedes S class I believe, some Aston Martins I think too). Those are great examples of the manufacturers not putting in the effort of engineering a manual option due to low take-up of it.

Perhaps in 10 years time if you want a manual, you have to look to the cheaper end of the market to get one.
\

As long as BMW markets themselves as the ultimate driving machine, they have to keep the manual as an option, but I agree with you that in 10 yrs you might have to look to the cheaper end of the market to get a stick.

I am one of the hard core stick shift enthusiasts and BMW will lose me as a customer if they eliminate the stick and I sure would hate to be driving a 4 cyl econobox with a stick.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:57 PM
Members

I was originally looking for a black on black Audi S4 with Nav and a 6 spd manual. I had found a few around the country and then it just so happened that the first BMW I looked at was the one in my sig. Black on black with Nav and a 6 spd manual. All it took was 1 test drive, I was hooked!! Now I think the S4 would have been a huge mistake. What an amazing car this 5er is!
Old 12-29-2008, 02:04 PM
Contributors

Allen:
Congratulations on your new wheels. I was also lucky to find the E60 I wanted w/a stick. Sorry to hear about the E34. I can do you one better, my beloved 1995 E34 Grey/Black 5-speed with 92,000 miles - original owner. I have owned nine BMWs, first one a 1600 I bought in 1971. The E34 was/is the best one I have owned. I feel your pain.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:12 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by DD_545i' post='755130' date='Dec 29 2008, 01:28 PM
Hmmm. Maybe.

edit: Now I've read the whole thread (which I didn't when I first responded) I see it's all about manuals. I really don't see why anyone wants a manual now. They're slow, clunky, a pain to drive in traffic. It takes no effort at all to reach the published 0-60mph times in an Automatic or SMG, you basically just hit the gas pedal and watch it happen. To do the same thing in a manual, which often have lower 0-60 times these days than the autos anyway, you have to treat the car like a complete asshole (pardon my french). There's no way I'd treat my own car the way the 0-60 testers treat them (letting the clutch out at 4,000rpm and ramming the stick from 1st to 2nd sometimes without the clutch). My last manual car was a Porsche Boxster (and before that was an E34 M5) and on an open road they were a joy to drive, but in any other situation it was just pointless effort for no gain at all. I'm all for putting in the effort and hard work when it pays off, but when the easy option is actually a better option, well the choice is obvious. Anyone who's stuck in the rut of the manual box being their #1 requirement needs to spend a day in an SMG car. One of the double-clutch super modern ones (like VAG's DSG) must be impressed.
it's about controlling the engine, the rpm, the whole feel is different. automatics, to me, are boring. BTW, city driving is a pleasure with it too.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:14 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by DD_545i' post='755130' date='Dec 29 2008, 01:28 PM
Hmmm. Maybe.

edit: Now I've read the whole thread (which I didn't when I first responded) I see it's all about manuals. I really don't see why anyone wants a manual now. They're slow, clunky, a pain to drive in traffic. It takes no effort at all to reach the published 0-60mph times in an Automatic or SMG, you basically just hit the gas pedal and watch it happen. To do the same thing in a manual, which often have lower 0-60 times these days than the autos anyway, you have to treat the car like a complete asshole (pardon my french). There's no way I'd treat my own car the way the 0-60 testers treat them (letting the clutch out at 4,000rpm and ramming the stick from 1st to 2nd sometimes without the clutch). My last manual car was a Porsche Boxster (and before that was an E34 M5) and on an open road they were a joy to drive, but in any other situation it was just pointless effort for no gain at all. I'm all for putting in the effort and hard work when it pays off, but when the easy option is actually a better option, well the choice is obvious. Anyone who's stuck in the rut of the manual box being their #1 requirement needs to spend a day in an SMG car. One of the double-clutch super modern ones (like VAG's DSG) must be impressed.
why's it all about 0-60???
Old 12-29-2008, 02:17 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sy1616' post='755395' date='Dec 30 2008, 12:14 AM
why's it all about 0-60???
It's not. That's an argument often brought up by manual fans as a clear indication of how manuals are better. My point was that in order to get those figures you have to be brutal with the car so it's not a far comparison. These days the numbers are reversed anyway.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:43 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Sapphire Black on Black M5 - loaded sans soft close doors

It used to be that manual 5-series cars went for less than autos (it is one of the three questions asked by Black Book). The fact is, very few people want a 525/535/550 with manual - but those who do, really want it! I've now see (informally) that manual and SMG 5-series cars (non-M5 mind you) seem to be going for MORE than their auto equivalent!!!

For me, I loved my 550 - was an incredible car and yes, I do sometimes wonder why I got rid of it.

HOWEVER, having a manual transmission again is just wonderful -it might be one of my favorite features of my M5. Yes, the SMG would shift faster and be better for the track, but the manual is what puts a smile on my face every time I drive the car.......
Old 12-29-2008, 05:37 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535i 6-speed
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='755042' date='Dec 29 2008, 12:14 PM
so you now have 2 E60? I dont quite get your sentence "since you got yours in 12/07"
No, I have just the one E60 I bought in 12/07. I meant that since then, the dealership has not gotten another 6-speed...ie: the one I bought was the last that they have gotten to date.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:54 PM
ADD
Senior Members

Originally Posted by sy1616' post='755394' date='Dec 29 2008, 06:12 PM
it's about controlling the engine, the rpm, the whole feel is different. automatics, to me, are boring. BTW, city driving is a pleasure with it too.

Perfect description.

I couldn't care less about 0-60 times. The fact is that I can still smoke most things you'll meet at a stoplight.

Actually, I really don't care about top end either.

It's all about the twisties and hitting the perfect double clutch or heel toe in a corner and enjoying every second of it.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:48 PM
Contributors

I wanted a stick, and none were available so had to order it. The dealer tried to talk me out of it, said they wouldn't give me much when it was time to trade, etc. They even made me put a $1,000 downpayment so they wouldn't be stuck with it if I backed out.

Yes, its a little more work. But, so much more fun!! Plus, the EPA mileage rating was slightly higher for the manual 530. Conversely, the auto was higher mileage rating than manual for the 550.

I think the new dual clutch systems are the future, and I will probably go over to the dark side if BMW puts a dual clutch tranny in the F10.

Quick Reply: How many 6-speed E60's were made...?