E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
View Poll Results: How long will you keep your E60?
Less than 1 year
0%
1 - 2 years
2.83%
2 - 3 years
20.75%
3 - 4 years
18.87%
4 - 5 years
14.15%
5 - 10 years
36.79%
10 years and above
6.60%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

How long will you keep your E60?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2004, 09:42 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had mine since November of last year and have almost 18,000 miles on it already. I dont intend to keep it longer than next spring which hopefully by then all the kinks in the Idrive will be solved and I can upgrade into a 645ci
Old 08-06-2004, 01:14 PM
Senior Members

It is a financial lease so I only lease the money and that's it.
530e60nl, man, i wish i could do the same. i'll definitely stay with lease for the rest of my life.

Mine is a leasing, since I own a company this is the only way to do it...
I wouldn't lease it if it was my private ride.
iceman, i kind of agree with you. but i also agree with mrbelk. the "itch" sometimes is really killing people...including me. btw, are you in ice-cream business ? j/k .

tofu warrior, first of all, for some reasons, your name makes me think that you are also in hawaii. i don't know why but just have this kind of feeling. anyway, i know i must be wrong and you must be in wall street. you should change your user name to "mr economist" or "mr cpa" . your theory and thinking is correct but that's only my opinion. there are many more other experts and pros are reading this and they might think i'm wrong...which means you are wrong, too . as long as you have extra $$$, don't want to pay for interest, and you have no clue how to use them. just pay in full when you p/u your car. most of the people say you can ask for a better deal if you pay cash. btw, if you have too much $$$ and not sure how to use them, send them to me and i'll try my best to help you out .

Personally, I get the "itch" for a new car every 3 or so years, so leasing is perfect for me.
mrbelk, i'm with you. but sometimes our other halves will easily kill our "itch" . they just need to say a simple two letters word "NO!" and we are stucked :'(.
Old 08-06-2004, 01:16 PM
Senior Members

I voted 5-10 years because when I bought the car, I told my wife I would keep it for a long time. After seeing all of the specs on the new M5, now I am rethinking this plan!
e60coyote, that's the reason why i've never promised my girlfriend anything. i mean anything at all .

I kept the last one 7 1/2 years so voted in that category. However, . . .
jdn, let me help you to finish your story. "however, the more i read this forum, the more i want to change my car. especially when i see others are having fun with their new toys. so tempting ." sorry, that's just my thinking .

noonehome, welcome and congrats! 3.5k/yr? you only drive your car to p/u your mails ? j/k .

bankerboyz, i love the 645ci as well . but i need to be a banker or just simply rob your bank . j/k, don't call up the fbi.

fyi, i've just noticed that we can't use too many smilies in the same post. so i have to post twice.
Old 08-06-2004, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by alohalc' date='Aug 6 2004, 11:14 PM
iceman, i kind of agree with you. but i also agree with mrbelk. the "itch" sometimes is really killing people...including me. btw, are you in ice-cream business ? j/k .

Good one... Somebody else allready asked if I am a hockey player, because of the penguin, my nickname and the fact that I have two rings...
So, this is off topic, but a quick explanation:
I own a travel agency and used to work for the NFL. Had to quit because I was needed in my travel agency and hope I'll be re-employed next season.
And, NO, I don't play, I'm an equipment manager.
I've got my nickname from friends, because I love it cold, I mean COLD. When visiting Canada we've had minus 35 Celsius and I was walking around in a t-shirt. Also I can analyze pretty good and don't let things really touch me. that's why I am the iceman...
And now, back to topic... sorry for hijacking the thread...
Attached Images  
Old 08-06-2004, 01:32 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Aug 6 2004, 03:25 PM
[quote name='alohalc' date='Aug 6 2004, 11:14 PM'] iceman, i kind of agree with you.? but i also agree with mrbelk.? the "itch" sometimes is really killing people...including me.? btw, are you in ice-cream business ?? j/k .

Good one... Somebody else allready asked if I am a hockey player, because of the penguin, my nickname and the fact that I have two rings...
So, this is off topic, but a quick explanation:
I own a travel agency and used to work for the NFL. Had to quit because I was needed in my travel agency and hope I'll be re-employed next season.
And, NO, I don't play, I'm an equipment manager.
I've got my nickname from friends, because I love it cold, I mean COLD. When visiting Canada we've had minus 35 Celsius and I was walking around in a t-shirt. Also I can analyze pretty good and don't let things really touch me. that's why I am the iceman...
And now, back to topic... sorry for hijacking the thread... [/quote]
Dont lie... you REEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAALLLLLYYY love Top Gun....haha j/k.....
Old 08-06-2004, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Initialdl' date='Aug 6 2004, 11:32 PM
Dont lie... you REEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAALLLLLYYY love Top Gun....haha j/k.....

Oh yes I do!
Old 08-06-2004, 01:38 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Tofu Warrior' date='Aug 6 2004, 08:47 AM
Pardon the financial jargon below, just trying to figure out if I've thought about my E60 financing plan correctly!

I'm planning on buying my E60 for cash, even though I don't plan to keep it for too long (maybe 3-4 years?)

My logic is that the main downside of paying cash is the opportunity cost of the capital that's tied up in the vehicle when I pay for it. Since I don't think I can invest the equivalent capital at a risk-free return of more than 5.5% (which is the absolute minimum rate I think I could get on financing), I concluded that I'm better off just paying cash now under almost all circumstances rather than try to lease or finance.

(it would have to be a risk-free return of 5.5% because there is 100% certainty that the interest payments are due on the car, so I would need to generate the equivalent amount of risk-free returns -- or risk-adjusted premium -- on the capital to justify financing the car)

I think the key potential weakness of this logic is under the lease scenario if the lease payments, adjusted to factor in the initial downpayment, are less than the market depreciation of the car. Then as long as this is true (i.e. lease payments + amortized initial downpayment < annual depreciation), I'm better off leasing. Is this ever true? I wouldn't imagine so.

Is there anything wrong with this logic? I haven't picked up the car yet so I still have time to finance / lease if there's something wrong with how i'm thinking about this.....i'm not too experienced with buying cars
I thought the same thing as you until they gave me a 60% residual value after 3 years 24K KM per year ..I d rather have BMW take the risk on the future car s value

And I love changing every 3 years..those cars become high maintenance after the warranty expires...Im not even talking MONEY I m talking TIME! I dont have the time

Plus ... I don t get aggravated trying to sell the car!

For me it s Single payment lease...limits financing and the troubles. great residual!
Old 08-06-2004, 01:45 PM
Members

I selected 5-10 years.
My '97 528i now has 285,000 miles on it (not kilometers) at this point and is still running well. Motor only burns a quart of oil by the time I do an oil change at 10,000 miles, and tranny is original also. It's a keeper. Rides beautifully This was also a first year of a model change. I just hope my 545i is half as good as a first year model. Love this 545i but the electronics concern me. My I-Drive still acts up and freezes up at times. Will definitly go for the extra 50,000 mile warrenty for that reason alone. Any kind of problem on this car will probaly be $1000 plus, so the warrenty will pay for itself easily.
The 545i leaves nothing to be desired; fantastic, powerful sports sedan, so unless the computer bugs drive me nuts I plan to keep it a long time. Did not lease, bought it outright.
Have a 140 mile round trip commute each day, so what I have been doing to conserve the 545I is alternate between the two daily, at least for a while.
YOU GOT TO LOVE THESE BMW'S!
Old 08-06-2004, 01:56 PM
Senior Members

iceman, nfl equipment mgr? i'm sure they all have big equipments ! oh, sorry, i mean they need big equipments .
i'm wondering how can you stay in hawaii for that long when you come over in october. please prepare some dry ice with you .

those cars become high maintenance after the warranty expires...Im not even talking MONEY I m talking TIME!
dantheman, i'm completely with you on this. that's the main reason why i want to change car every 4 years or 5 the max.

netjazz, if you have read my earlier post, i also have a '97 528i before but sold it couple months ago. it only had about 45,000 miles when i sold it. 285,000? man, it's a lot !
Old 08-06-2004, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by alohalc' date='Aug 6 2004, 11:56 PM
i'm wondering how can you stay in hawaii for that long when you come over in october.
Since I am in Germany it is pretty obvious that I work in NFL Europe, owned and operated by the NFL... Our season starts February with camp in Tampa, FL and ends mid June in Europe.

Quick Reply: How long will you keep your E60?