E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

how to keep ur e60 at its best condition?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 02:29 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i TITANIUM GREY II on Black Dakota Lthr, Comfort Seats, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Active/Dynamic Drive, NAV, Winter Package.

So you guys don't wait until the OIL service light come on for changing the oil? BMW does not recommend changing the oil before you get the message on your iDrive. I'm confused! Should I change the oil before getting the warring?

Originally Posted by Howitzer' post='1094325' date='Jan 20 2010, 04:41 PM
Change your oil every 7k miles with only top-shelf BMW Full synthetic.

Flush your transmission fluid at 60k miles, then at 110k, then every 40k.

Do BMW's fuel injector cleaning service at 50k.

Change your sparks with NGK Iridium's at 50k and every 50k.

Check your gaskets for leaks, replace asap if there is a leak especially if you drive hard.

Check your radiator pump, they are known to blow at 50k or so. Especially pre-LCI models.

Be prepared to replace your battery every 4 years. If you just got your E60 and its an 04, might as well buy one now before its too late! I learned the hard way.

Use only Shell premium gas. Don't get shit gas, EVER.

Maintain your tire pressure and replace crap tires.

Check your control arms, bearings, bushings, brake fluid, coolant, and so on every oil change.

Inspect your radiator hose in the front. Feel if its firm, if not, replace it asap. It cannot be saggy or its ready to burst / tear.

Check rear diff at 60k , 90k, etc. Not sure if this needs to be flushed or not.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:17 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by Moopai' post='1094440' date='Jan 20 2010, 06:29 PM
So you guys don't wait until the OIL service light come on for changing the oil? BMW does not recommend changing the oil before you get the message on your iDrive. I'm confused! Should I change the oil before getting the warring?
15k before an oil change is ridiculous....change it at least every 7.5k miles.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by Krozi' post='1094472' date='Jan 20 2010, 04:17 PM
15k before an oil change is ridiculous....change it at least every 7.5k miles.
+1 or at least every 12 months if you don't drive too much (like me). My SA did a "mid-cycle" oil change after 12 months when I hit 7200 miles, and yes it was covered under warranty....
Old 01-20-2010, 03:36 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

Originally Posted by DD_545i' post='1094212' date='Jan 20 2010, 11:40 AM
LOL @ the idea of free anything in europe We don't get squat free.
The 4-yr maintenance deal in the US isn't free, either! We should just think of it as "pre-paid".... and since BMW gets to set both the price of the pre-payment, and the service you get for it, we get screwed big time. I'd rather NOT have maintenance bundled with the purchase price, and pay for what the car really needs. Notice when the pre-paid mtce came into being, suddenly lots of fluids and components became "lifetime" and extended interval?? Not only have I pre-paid for BMW's schedule in the inflated price of the vehicle, but then I pay for off-cycle oil changes and other maintenance as I plan to keep the car a long time.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:30 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '08 530i Luxury LCI

Change engine oil according to the on board computer won't destroy your car.

We have had a E38 7 series and do oil change according to the on board computer (at BMW service center), the engine was running so well. We replaced the automatic transmission at 300,000km (about 187,500 miles) and didn't change gearbox oil before the breakdown. I am certain BMW has proper evidence to support such statement on engine oil and "life-time" automatic transmission oil on their cars.

Put it this way, if you are the boss of BMW group, you would probably won't make such statement/advice without some sort of guarantee from the oil supplier, right?
Old 01-20-2010, 04:35 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by Small Tomato' post='1094507' date='Jan 20 2010, 08:30 PM
Change engine oil according to the on board computer won't destroy your car.

We have had a E38 7 series and do oil change according to the on board computer (at BMW service center), the engine was running so well. We replaced the automatic transmission at 300,000km (about 187,500 miles) and didn't change gearbox oil before the breakdown. I am certain BMW has proper evidence to support such statement on engine oil and "life-time" automatic transmission oil on their cars.

Put it this way, if you are the boss of BMW group, you would probably won't make such statement/advice without some sort of guarantee from the oil supplier, right?
BMW doesn't give 2 sh*ts what happens after 100k miles....the transmissions will most likely last past 100k even on the original fluid....BMW considers "lifetime" 100k miles.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:05 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '08 530i Luxury LCI

Originally Posted by Krozi' post='1094513' date='Jan 21 2010, 09:35 AM
BMW doesn't give 2 sh*ts what happens after 100k miles....the transmissions will most likely last past 100k even on the original fluid....BMW considers "lifetime" 100k miles.
I don't have the definition on "life-time" from BMW, but our another car E66 745Li has done 125k miles, nothing is wrong since we are following the same route on oil changes.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:36 PM
Members

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N54

So I have not flushed my transmission and have 83k miles on the car..... am I screwed?!?! I'd like to keep this car (working) for a very long time.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

I'm at 75k and I need to do maintenance. I'm scared of the transmission flush, how much would a dealer charge for it? Also I need to do spark plugs, is the sparkplug in the back really a pain to get out? Is there a place I can order them online you guys recommend?
Old 01-21-2010, 04:13 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i TITANIUM GREY II on Black Dakota Lthr, Comfort Seats, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Active/Dynamic Drive, NAV, Winter Package.

What's so special about the NGK Iridium? Where can I purchase these plugs? My car is going to turn to a 100k (km) in a matter of days. Can a regular BMW mechanic do the fuel injector cleaning? I always thought that you cannot flush the transmission as it is sealed (at least on the older 5 series models!), is this possible on the E60? Thanks

Originally Posted by Howitzer' post='1094325' date='Jan 20 2010, 04:41 PM
Change your oil every 7k miles with only top-shelf BMW Full synthetic.

Flush your transmission fluid at 60k miles, then at 110k, then every 40k.

Do BMW's fuel injector cleaning service at 50k.

Change your sparks with NGK Iridium's at 50k and every 50k.

Check your gaskets for leaks, replace asap if there is a leak especially if you drive hard.

Check your radiator pump, they are known to blow at 50k or so. Especially pre-LCI models.

Be prepared to replace your battery every 4 years. If you just got your E60 and its an 04, might as well buy one now before its too late! I learned the hard way.

Use only Shell premium gas. Don't get shit gas, EVER.

Maintain your tire pressure and replace crap tires.

Check your control arms, bearings, bushings, brake fluid, coolant, and so on every oil change.

Inspect your radiator hose in the front. Feel if its firm, if not, replace it asap. It cannot be saggy or its ready to burst / tear.

Check rear diff at 60k , 90k, etc. Not sure if this needs to be flushed or not.

Quick Reply: how to keep ur e60 at its best condition?