E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

How good is the factory alarm

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 04:54 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

I know the tilt sensor works pretty well.
Old 03-01-2009, 05:02 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530I Silver gray with gray leather with Premium Package, Logic 7 Premium sound system with Ipod interface, xenon adaptive headlights, Active steering, Power retractable rear sunshade, Comfort seats, Cold weather package and M5 OEM 166 wheels, Sprintbooster. Ceramic Tint all around, Bilstein Sports shocks with Eibach springs, Brake performance Rotors and Axxis ceramic pads.

Originally Posted by craigm1841' post='804862' date='Mar 1 2009, 07:34 PM
i have also heard these cars are very hard to steal. that being said, why would you shoot someone who is trying to steal your rims? you have insurance, why find out how strict your state laws are when you are sitting in jail for 30 years? Most states allow a HOMEOWNER to shoot someone trespassing IN THEIR HOMES, a lot of states you cant even shoot someone on your property. most states also only allow you to shoot someone if there is an IMINENT threat to your own life and in some cases other peoples lives.

this being said, you ARE NOT justified in shooting someone for taking your wheels or attempting to steal your car. EVEN IF you could shoot someone, i can promise your deductible for your insurance will be significantly less then court costs and lost wages.
+1 No reason to take someones life for any material things. Unless your life is treatened.
Old 03-01-2009, 05:06 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by al_ongvano' post='804887' date='Mar 1 2009, 09:02 PM
+1 No reason to take someones life for any material things. Unless your life is treatened.
I will also add, if you approach the theif and your life is then threatened, you are still wrong for approaching him when there was no life in danger to begin with. you are not the police. if you feel the need to protect people other then yourself and fight for a greater cause, join the local police force or the military
Old 03-02-2009, 04:50 AM
Contributors

there is a little firm in london at present that sit by a "chosen car" with a box of tricks, and when the owner "blips" the remote, the villans record the signal, and duplicate it later..
my 535d is barametric, meaning you would need my fingerprint to unlock/start the car.

insurance is the way to go...its only a car at the end of the day.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:36 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535i 6-speed
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by craigm1841' post='804862' date='Mar 1 2009, 08:34 PM
...why find out how strict your state laws are when you are sitting in jail for 30 years?
uhhh...I think that's why he's asking the question here...and now...to try and find out "how strict" his states laws are BEFORE hand. Also, I don't think he asked whether you all thought it was morally correct for him to shoot someone stealing his rims...just if it was legal. Legal or not...it's HIS choice. If it's legal, he's free...if it's illegal, he's in jail. Either way there would be one less rim-stealing-scumbag in the world...and that's a good thing.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:50 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Allen' post='805227' date='Mar 2 2009, 10:36 AM
uhhh...I think that's why he's asking the question here...and now...to try and find out "how strict" his states laws are BEFORE hand. Also, I don't think he asked whether you all thought it was morally correct for him to shoot someone stealing his rims...just if it was legal. Legal or not...it's HIS choice. If it's legal, he's free...if it's illegal, he's in jail. Either way there would be one less rim-stealing-scumbag in the world...and that's a good thing.
thats not the right attitude either.

steeling is reprehensible full stop.
BUT, if the guy is made unemployed and desperate to feed his family, he needs help and guidance (not to be shot)
its different if he is a drug taking low life. or steeling for greed.

what if your child was a "rim steeling scumbag", would you like to see him shot???

the bigger picture needs looking at.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:57 AM
Members

My Ride: '08 535i SPORT l Deep Sea Blue l 19" AC Schnitzers Type IV Forged l GP Thunders & Hoen Fogs l SolarGuard 28%

point well made & taken....but honestly this thought did cross my mind sometime back, dont get me wrong by being judgmental but WTF if someone IS trespassing & stealing your "personal" property?!!?

FYI, cap 'em in the head but u then gotta drag his azz back to your front door....breakin' into ur car wont stick but ur home is anutha story....dont forget u gotta clean up the blood so hope u dont have a long driveway!! *sigh*
Old 03-02-2009, 07:10 AM
Contributors

what happened to "civilisation ?"
im glad guns are illegal here in the UK.

2 wrongs dont make a right.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:20 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i / Black Sapphire / Premium / Navigation / Bluetooth / PDC / USB Audio Integration / 6 Speed Sport Automatic with Steptronic / Logic 7 / Comfort Access / Auto Folding Mirrors / Comfort Seats / Rear Heated Seats / 35% Tint All Around / Black Dakota Leather

Originally Posted by Dr Dave' post='805238' date='Mar 2 2009, 09:50 AM
thats not the right attitude either.

steeling is reprehensible full stop.
BUT, if the guy is made unemployed and desperate to feed his family, he needs help and guidance (not to be shot)
its different if he is a drug taking low life. or steeling for greed.

what if your child was a "rim steeling scumbag", would you like to see him shot???

the bigger picture needs looking at.

Good point. Are you a psycologist?
Old 03-02-2009, 07:41 AM
Members

I'm more paranoid about someone breaking into my house for the keys, or car jacking me or worse still the missus when we're out in the car....that has go to be the easiest way to steal one of these.

So not only is the car alarm on, but the house perimeter intrusion is too...and I never forget the baseball bat by the bed...

Quick Reply: How good is the factory alarm