E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

how do you handle little chips and marks?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 01:30 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have black, a sharpie pen works great on small chips in the hood.
Old 10-03-2005, 04:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by pipper' date='Oct 3 2005, 10:43 AM
after 4 months of ownership, i finally got my first little marks on my back bumper from some bonehead who didnt know how to park his car behind me.
does anyone get upset over this and run and go get these repaired...or do you buy a little bottle of touch-up paint...or do you just take it as this sh*t happens (especially living in NYC) and its inevitable.
[snapback]178566[/snapback]
I get them repaired. I might use touch-up paint on very small nicks. Go to a good paint shop and ask them to repair, repaint, and reclear the injured part without doing the whole bumper cover. Tell them that you would like to fix the injury as cheaply and esthetically pleasingly as possible without incurring big-buck cost. Also, emphaize that you would not expect them to guarantee the work. You will be surprised how good the resullt will be, and the fix should last for several years, at least, with proper/easy care. I have used this technique on several cars; the results have been indistinguishable from the rest of the paint, and I have never had to redo such a fix over a several year period. But, the fix is cheap so redo it if necessary. The latest I had done was on my Z06 for $100. And, note that some paint shops will tell you that what you want to do cannot be done and look good. If they tell you that, they are ignorant or want to do the whole cover. Go somewhere else.
Old 10-03-2005, 04:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Ewwwwwww I would be upset. Depending how bad it is get it repaired or not.

One of the enjoyment for me on my car is to have it AS PERFECT as I can keep it. Seeing dents and scratches on it takes away from the enjoyment and will cause me to get bored and tired and dont like the car VERY VERY fast!

So part of the enjoyment and fun if I can call it that is to actually play that stupid game of avoid the idiots in the parking lot.

But in the end if shit happens it happens. But knowing I tried then theres nothing I can do, is a different story. But if its because my lazy buttocks didnt want to walk 10 extra feet and caused my car a door ding I rather not.