E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

How do you get better at driving a manual?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 09:57 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: ' 05 545i 6 on the Floor

Rookie lol keep practicing
Old 10-18-2012, 09:59 AM
Members

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BSLNoel
Off to the google...

My pedals seem crazy responsive, but it is a 528 so it may be there.
I deleted the CDV in our E61... MUCH better, but I'd still like to find the clutch pedal travel to be a bit long, and, on occasion, I too find the gas/clutch pedal timing to be awkward.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer
Old 10-20-2012, 03:58 AM
Members

My Ride: 530i

Originally Posted by BSLNoel
When I do rev match alright, I'm slow with the shift. If I shift quickly I get a jerk out of the transmission. I can't rev match at all when downshifting.
Most beginners are taught to take their foot off the gas pedal, depress the clutch, shift to the next gear, bring the clutch back to the friction point, then carefully reapply the gas as the clutch continues into full engagement. This works, but it's slow and often leads to clutch engagement at too low an engine speed...resulting in jerking, or too high...resulting in a power shift. The real trick for a smooth shift is the position of the gas pedal, i.e. engine speed, at the point of initial clutch engagement. If the engine side matches the transmission side, you have a smooth shift with no clutch wear.

For smoothest and fastest downshifting...keep the gas pedal in the same position from before clutch depression and gear change until it's complete. Shift fairly quickly. I know, it sounds strange, but it works well if done right and doesn't jar the drive train at all. I've never had to replace a clutch. Keeping the gas pedal in roughly the same position through the downshift allows a rise in the engine speed to match the lower gear.

For smoothest upshifting...keep the gas pedal depressed somewhat but not as far as for downshifting as described above and shift quickly. Again, very smooth, no jarring. perfect rev-matching. Keeping the gas pedal depressed somewhat prevents the engine speed from dropping so far that it can't catch up to the transmission speed fast enough and saves you from hunting for the right speed.

For starting on a hill...with foot still on the brake raise the clutch pedal to the point where it starts to generate a little friction but not enough engagement to move the car (you'll notice a slight drop in engine speed), then take your foot off the brake and give it gas as you fully engage the clutch. No worries about rolling back or killing the engine. Works like a charm.

Last edited by Bimster530i; 10-23-2012 at 12:42 PM. Reason: more explanation
Old 10-20-2012, 04:26 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 AW N52 with sports package & premium package; natural brown interior MODs: Orion V2s 3000K H8 Yellow Fogs Matte Black Kidney Grills 20" Miro 111 Hankook V12 Tires H&R Sport Springs Special coding via Simon (dbl flash hazards, digital velocity, etc.) LED Side Markers from Trinity Autosports LED License Plate Lights from Trinity Autosports Carbon Delete BMC Air Filter RPI Scoop RPI GT Exhaust Future MODs: Mtech Kit KW Variant 2 Coilovers CIC Retrofit Upgrade Audio System

Originally Posted by jaycal3
for me its all feel... Feathering the clutch and gas... I am not sure i ever look at the rpm's... You can feel it. Practice - easy off the clutch...
+1
Old 10-21-2012, 04:03 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d

learn to drive in England!
Old 10-22-2012, 10:33 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Your clutch leg should be almost, but not quite fully extended when holding the clutch fully down. This allows your ankle to flex giving better fine control.

Do not look at the rev counter, you need to hear/feel the revs.

Clutch needs to pause, at the bite point on the way up after a gear change, at the same point go on the gas just enough to match engine and road speed.

DO NOT rush gear changes, smooth hand movements = smooth foot movements.

Can you hold the car still on a hill with no brakes, just using clutch?

When you can do this, then creep it forward 3 feet, then hold it still, then roll it back 3 feet, then hold it still. This will help you feel the bite point and realise how sensitive it is, it moves very little to change forward motion to backwards.

Then practice more!

Or come to the UK and I'll give you a free lesson, I teach this for a living :-)
Old 10-22-2012, 10:53 AM
Members

Most of the advice here is good... Although it's not an option for most, riding motorcycles will also make you a MUCH better manual transmission driver in general! You think a manual BMW car is sensitive (which it is compared to other cars), hop on a BMW sportbike! The clutch on most high performance manuals is not linear and the friction zone is often very short, so feathering takes a lot of practice to get good at knowing exactly where the friction zone starts and ends and working your way in and out smoothly with just the right amount of gas.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Very simple.....PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!!
Old 10-22-2012, 09:13 PM
Members

What the heck are you doing PRACTICING on a BMW?
Old 10-23-2012, 01:08 PM
Members

My Ride: 545i 2004, SMG, Sport, Nav, Logic-7, Bluetooth phone retrofit

Originally Posted by deltabox
What the heck are you doing PRACTICING on a BMW?
Good point. Much better to practice on someone else's BMW. Or pretty much any rental car outside North America.