E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

How do I protect my car from theft, idiots, and ______(fill in the bla

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 09:32 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 550i, Premium Package, Navigation, Comfort Access, L7 Sound 2004 FX35, Sports Package, Stillen CAI

Agreed a beater is the best thing to do. They attempted to steal my cousins car 7 times before they finally got it. If they want it, they will find a way to get it...period.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:37 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy
It seems to me that putting a cover on it would only attract additional attention to the car in the lot and increase the risk that some idiot would mess with it more than if it were "just another car" in the lot.
Its mostly protecting the beer spilling and throw up. I'm not too worried about stuff getting stolen as much as vandalized. I park in a drive way with 7 other cars. I wish the alarm was more sensitive.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:43 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i, sport pkg, premium sound, sprint booster,

Originally Posted by ObD
Buy a beater and don't take the car.
+10,001 - Get a hooptie (as they say here in this part of Dallas) or ride a bicycle. Your peers couldn't probably care less about the car (maybe even jealous), they'll only know you as the guy with the Bimmer. Reward yourself with the car on the weekends when you go home. Worse case scenario, find a garage where you can park it.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:10 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

LOL and I thought I was paranoid. I made sure I had GPS tracking and LoJack when I bought the car, so that way even if someone did steal it they better hop the cops find them before I do
Old 06-24-2010, 10:25 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by stoic1
+10,001 - Get a hooptie (as they say here in this part of Dallas) or ride a bicycle. Your peers couldn't probably care less about the car (maybe even jealous), they'll only know you as the guy with the Bimmer. Reward yourself with the car on the weekends when you go home. Worse case scenario, find a garage where you can park it.
Agreed. Invest in a commuter-car and leave the bimmer at home. A couple $thousand for a beater, but at least your 5 is safe at home.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:20 AM
Contributors

I was going to say.. make sure you don't fix up your car, but I guess that's too late by looking at your sig. Having mods is another way for people to distinguish your car from others and hate you even more. You really should buy a beater and drive that to school as a student.

When I was living on campus my freshman year, I think about 15 cars were targeted and vandalized in the dorm parking lot. Guess what kind of cars were hit? ONLY modified cars.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:48 PM
Members

My Ride: 2010(60) BMW 520d SE, Manual, In Sophisto Grey with Cream/Black Interior and Piano Black trim

Originally Posted by bimmerfamily2010
Agreed. Invest in a commuter-car and leave the bimmer at home. A couple $thousand for a beater, but at least your 5 is safe at home.
+10,002

I still use my old Vauxhall Corsa when i'm in precarious places, i used it all the way through uni, and nobody messed with it, and trust me, people do get attracted to flash cars at uni/college, i even remember leaving my kebab on the bonnet of a nice new merc in passing some years ago, after a few too many, before it was time to grow up! If u take ur 5er to college, ur askin for trouble man, dont risk it
Old 06-24-2010, 01:33 PM
Members

Dont waste your money on wheel locks. They are too easily defeated.
FWIW:
When I got my corvette the previous owner lost the wheel lock "socket/key".
The dealer wanted $$$ to drill out the locks and replace the studs.
SO I did some research. I found that there is an extractor used for stud/lugnut removal that easily removes the locking lugnut. It is so easy that all the thieves have them. It is so easy that Corvette no longer has them as standard.
Moral: they are generally useless against a real thief. Typical pros/amateurs will steal the entire car.
BTW I also found the OEM and was able to get a replacement"socket/key".

In your case: A beater is the best.
OR deal with the odds.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Don't forget that the car's alarm has a tilt sensor so any attempt to steal a wheel should result in the alarm going off...
Old 06-24-2010, 01:49 PM
jgt
Contributors

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by njlou
Dont waste your money on wheel locks. They are too easily defeated.
Quite possibly the worst piece of advice every given out on this forum. :thumbsdown:

Wheel locks are theft deterrents that work very well.
Anything CAN be stolen but have you honestly tried to remove a set of wheel locks?
You're going to make a lot of noise and take quite a bit of time and effort to remove the wheels.
More often than not if a thief can't get what he want's quickly he'll move on to the next car unless you are dealing with some true pro's that want your baller ass car.

Quick Reply: How do I protect my car from theft, idiots, and ______(fill in the bla