E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

How do I protect my car from theft, idiots, and ______(fill in the bla

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 08:05 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '06 530xi Jet Black

Here is my little "issue". I am going to college in September and I MUST take my car, but it will be in the parking lot... What accessories can I get to make my car relatively safe. I have BMW Assist and I am planning on purchasing 4 different sets of wheel locks(Have 1 one already) but I am not sure where I can get 4 sets that fit a BMW. What else can I get in my car like alarm-wise and protection-wise. I'd rather be safer than sorry .
Old 06-23-2010, 08:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

I dont think you need to worry about theft as much as vandalism...

as for 4 sets of lug nuts... just but 4 sets... and put one on each tire... then the "crooks" or your friends will have to get through 4 different lock nuts before they can get to your wheels.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:24 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Huh, which college are you going to? I have never heard of BMW's being jacked at college. It's usually the Honda Civics or Integras that are targeted.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:23 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Huh, which college are you going to? I have never heard of BMW's being jacked at college. It's usually the Honda Civics or Integras that are targeted.
I am at college and I live in one of the most partied towns in the states lol. I park my car in the drive way and put a cover on it.

BUT... I did leave it off for one night and woke up to find beer all over it the next day

Just be careful where you park it.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:49 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by bens1088
I am at college and I live in one of the most partied towns in the states lol. I park my car in the drive way and put a cover on it.

BUT... I did leave it off for one night and woke up to find beer all over it the next day

Just be careful where you park it.
It seems to me that putting a cover on it would only attract additional attention to the car in the lot and increase the risk that some idiot would mess with it more than if it were "just another car" in the lot.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:34 AM
jgt
Contributors

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by Rudy
It seems to me that putting a cover on it would only attract additional attention to the car in the lot and increase the risk that some idiot would mess with it more than if it were "just another car" in the lot.
+1 car covers attract WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much attention. People, especially drunk and/or high ones, will want to know what's under that cover...

Best bet is to get a set of wheel locks. One lock nut per tire.
Keep you glove box locked at all times. In the event someone breaks in they won't be able to get your ipod, gps, radar detector etc. without some serious work.
Key lock your trunk. Same as the glove box. They won't be able to open it if they smash a window and try the internal trunk release.
Make sure all your windows are closed, even the tilted sunroof unless you want some asshole to pour a beer in there.
Factory alarm activated ALWAYS.

The only way someone is going to steal your car is with the key or a flatbed truck. If grand theft auto is a serious concern consider getting LoJack.
Your biggest concern should be vandalism. Infrared security camera's will be your friend. Consider either installing one pointed at where you typically park or using parking lots with infrared security cameras.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550i | Silver-Grey- A08 | Premium - Sport Package | Adaptive Headlights | Logic 7 w/ CD Changer | Bluetooth | Park Distance Control | Xenon Headlights | Comfort Access [s]Sprint Booster V1[/s] | K&N filter - Stock Box w/ Charcoal Filter Removed | Clear Side LED Markers | Matte Black Grilles | RPI Air Scoop | RPI 550i GT Exhaust | 12" Kicker w/ AMP | Headlight Euro Overlays | ACS Rep Roof\Trunk Spoilers |MTEC V2 Angel Eyes | 6000k HID Fog Lights | 19" VMR v710 Stag Wheels | Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 Tires | Debadged | LED Courtesy Door Lamps | Sprint Booster V2 | Painted Calipers | M pedals\shift knob | HID License Plate Bulbs | R1 Drilled\Slotted Rotors | Hawk HPS Brakes| ACS replica front lip |

I picked up the upgraded or should I say next level up security lugs from BMW for my car. Think I paid $60-$80 for the set. They have a base set, but the upgraded sets have special patterns.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:26 AM
ObD
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i 6MT

Buy a beater and don't take the car.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:15 AM
Senior Members

My car was keyed at a high school graduation party last week. Just be careful where you park.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:22 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ObD
Buy a beater and don't take the car.
+10000

I'm getting a $500 piece of shit this Fall and taking it to grad school. No way I'm parking my baby on a college campus.

Quick Reply: How do I protect my car from theft, idiots, and ______(fill in the bla