E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I know if I can add navigation?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 03:58 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read that a few cars came from the factory wired for navigation in 2004? I have a 2004 530 that was put into service in 09/04. Where can I find the production date code and what months was the wiring put in these cars? Also, why does it show a screen when I start about not using while driving if the car has no nav? Thx!
Old 11-28-2010, 06:19 AM
Members

Seriouslly?? 82 views and no replies!!! Cmon guys. Any techs out there who know this? I've seen posts before on this. Does anyone know which cars came pre wired?
Old 11-28-2010, 06:43 AM
Senior Members

its waste of money
are you planning to keep your car for another 5 years
Old 11-28-2010, 12:48 PM
Members

Originally Posted by dxb_8788
its waste of money
are you planning to keep your car for another 5 years
No way. Not even close
Old 11-28-2010, 01:17 PM
Senior Members

then why you want to spend thousands to add pro. nav
Just buy handy nav and keep it with you , atleast you'll save it when you'll sell the car
Old 11-28-2010, 01:21 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Regardelss if you'll keep the car that long, it will give you a competitive resale advantage for that make/model/year besides add convenience for you. You'll most likely put it to use right?

I've discussed many times. It really shouldn't cost you more than about $1200, maybe less if you're pre-wired. Take a photo of your idrive knob and the buttons next to it and post it up.
Also look inside your trunk....take the left side cover off the wheel well and expose the bluetooth module. You should have some Fakra connectors there. There is a blue one connected to your Bluetooth module. Wrapped up in that nice BMW electrostatic cloth in the back there should be another blue Fakra connector colored in blue. If you have this, you are 99% to have been pre-wired for navigation. This is the GPS antennae coming from the MASK (head unit). The buried wire is connected to the ariel sharkfin antennae on your roof. You would need to connect the two and bypass the bluetooth module to complete the antennae.

If you're already pre-wired you will need:

1) an 8.8in monitor perferably from a 5 or 6 series. You can use an X5 screen and retrofit it in your current 6 inch display. Will take some fabrication skills and a dremmel. When they code it though they could have an issue reading the X5 part # and some sofware programs will not allow upgrade. But if you have a friend you can use their 8.8in monitor, for the upgrade and swap out later.

2) A pre-LCI CCC (stereo navigation unit)- make sure it has the fan unit on the back and a valid disc, whatever year just make sure it's original. You need this to verify proper working unit. Don't trust a non-OEM disc at this point. Do the 2010 maps later. very easy to come by.
3) Re-program your car. May not be necessary but you may lose all sound for the time being. Should not affect anything else. In the meantime you can rig up an ipod auxillary and install. When you get your car programmed they can do the CCC and ipod together and save you money. This is very easy to do. You can buy the kit for like $60 or just make one from a standard.

If you need help wiring let me know. Bring all your old parts (MASK, 6in monitor etc) with the car when you program. After everything is said and done, you call sell them and break even.

Cost between $200-$300 to program car.
CCC about $300
Scrreen about $200-$300

Sell your old stuff to re-coup probably get at least $300 back. True cost to do? MAYBE $500.

So keep lookout for those items.

Ebay: #120652573982 - Offer $300, don't go past $350 - These units work, I know first hand.

#320615718183 - maybe they'll take an offer.

#220693750942 if you can't find anything else, a little more expensive but it's worth it.

Good luck.
Old 11-28-2010, 02:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

with a production date that late (check your drivers' door jamb, but if it was put in service 09/04 then it was likely built jul or aug 04) you don't have the prewire. BMW stopped the prewire option once they could install the NAV.

the other way you can check is your idrive controller- if you leave the car sitting (without opening a door, etc) for 15 mins and the knob spins freely without any clicks then you have the prewire. but again, it's likely you don't.

I did the retrofit- I am happy I did- but I would never do it again. If I had to, I would just keep looking for another E60 with the nav already. the cost is higher than achtungE60s estimates if you are working with a dealer to program the car. if the part #s aren't exactly correct, the dealer's progamming unit won't touch it. even the monitor has to be the right part #. there's also the trim piece for the CCC, which if it's wood is going to run you $140+, and if you're not pre-wired you're going to have to run a new GPS antenna or a cable from the sharkfin GPS to the CCC, which I had to source outside the US since it's not available here.

you are realistically looking at $2000 between USED ebay parts, programming, and new trim pieces/cables/etc. I had to beg/borrow/plead the parts manager to order the part # for the voice control file, and fortunately that was free. your mileage will definitely vary.

Again, I did the retrofit- and if my car hadn't been a hard to find 545 stick, with only 10k miles, I would have just kept on looking for a different car. If I had known how much trouble I was going to be in for, I would have never done it. Just making sure you have fair warning that this project is not for the meek. I did all of my own labor, btw, except for the programming at the dealer. I installed everything and ran all the cables.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:00 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by 545felix
the other way you can check is your idrive controller- if you leave the car sitting (without opening a door, etc) for 15 mins and the knob spins freely without any clicks then you have the prewire. but again, it's likely you don't.
Good info, didn't know that.

I did the retrofit- I am happy I did- but I would never do it again. If I had to, I would just keep looking for another E60 with the nav already. the cost is higher than achtungE60s estimates if you are working with a dealer to program the car. if the part #s aren't exactly correct, the dealer's progamming unit won't touch it. even the monitor has to be the right part #. there's also the trim piece for the CCC, which if it's wood is going to run you $140+, and if you're not pre-wired you're going to have to run a new GPS antenna or a cable from the sharkfin GPS to the CCC, which I had to source outside the US since it's not available here.
You dont have to run the antennae...antennae with correct fakra is about $15 on ebay and you can take out your intrument cluster and stick it to the steel rollbar back there (it's magnetic) .... keep it at least 12 inches away from the CCC.

The trim piece you're looking for cost about $30 new for the black plastic one.

you are realistically looking at $2000 between USED ebay parts, programming, and new trim pieces/cables/etc. I had to beg/borrow/plead the parts manager to order the part # for the voice control file, and fortunately that was free. your mileage will definitely vary.

Again, I did the retrofit- and if my car hadn't been a hard to find 545 stick, with only 10k miles, I would have just kept on looking for a different car. If I had known how much trouble I was going to be in for, I would have never done it. Just making sure you have fair warning that this project is not for the meek. I did all of my own labor, btw, except for the programming at the dealer. I installed everything and ran all the cables.
My estimate was assuming you are pre-wired. 545felix was very helpful in getting me up to speed on my retrofit as well...but I hustle and find deals. I'd never come out of pocket more then what I needed to. Hopefully you're pre-wired.