E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

How come early adopters are getting shafted?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 09:02 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='219493' date='Jan 5 2006, 08:32 AM
Product life cycles have changed, as have the dynamics. Read this:

"The Innovator's Dilemma" by Clayton M. Christensen.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/006052199...=books&v=glance

Its main focus isn't product cycles, but it touches upon them, and the balance a large established firm must strike when striving to innovate while keeping existing customers happy. BMW is doing the kind of innovation outlined in this book, and sometimes the balance isn't perfect - but by reading this at least one can become aquainted with the environment the consumer is forced to live in.
I took two courses a couple of years ago (as part of my MBA) that dealt extensively on innovation and product life cycle. I haven't read this book above, but what I got out of it was that the consumers are depicted like dogs trying to catch its own tail. In other words, corporate study consumer behave and know that customers continuously demand new products . . . one of the key to company success is innovation and continuously dishing out new products for consumers. Hence, companies like Toshiba, TI, and Intel, to name a few, are major innovators investing heavily in R&D. Well, I can go on and on . . . but this forum is not the right medium.

In short, American and western European companies want to lead in innovation because Asian companies can out manufacture them. The problem innovators don't address is reliability because by their definition, their not pragmatists. That's where BMW is faulting and why Toyota/Lexus and Nissan/Infiniti will overtake BMW/Merc if they don't re-evaluate their strategy. From what I have read in an interview with CEO of MB, he's only putting a bandage on their reliability problems.

Did you know, there are innovation consultant firms? I think that is the bust for the next 5 years. After that, it'll be something else.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:55 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by TexaZ3' post='219506
Znod, I agree with you. I knew about the 750i long before I could find any info. about the 550i. I don't trust BMW as a corporation anymore. Can anyone name an automaker that pulled a 550i like BMW? I can't. :thumbsdown:
Ferrari.
F348 Spider, just a year before the production ended and replaced with new model
F355 Spider - same as above.
F512M - 8 months in production
550 Barchetta - only few hundreds built before production ceased.
And people paid a lot more than $65+ K for these cars...
[/quote]
I don't see the issue that B32 referred to as being the rapidity of replacement. I see the issue as being one of full disclosure. If you have not read my longer post above, then maybe you'd want to check it out.

[QUOTE=EBMCS03;218855]
Originally Posted by kryptokat' post='218502' date='Jan 2 2006, 07:48 PM
When I ordered it in October there was no news about the 550. There was little news on the 750 but none of the 550. By the time we heard anything about it it was waaay too late.
Exactly, no reasonable expected full disclosure.