E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

How come early adopters are getting shafted?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 01:00 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Everyone!!

Just wondering if BMW will someday take care of those early adopters who were waiting for long time for Bluetooth to happen, and for mp3s to work in our cars. I actually got impression that, along with the delay of the Nav DVD and Bluetooth to function in our car, the Nav DVD did appear 2 months after we purchased the car in early 2004, but later found out that Bluetooth is impossible. Then the issue about mp3... now we are not sure if mp3s can function in our cars, even though it was mentioned in the manual that it could... also, there has been rumors before about some Bluetooth adaptor that is a cheaper alternative to the infamous TCU dilemma... anyone can shed anything about this? thanks again guys!!

Happy New Year to everyone here!!
Old 01-02-2006, 08:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Almighty JungleBoy' post='218197' date='Jan 2 2006, 05:00 AM
Hi Everyone!!

Just wondering if BMW will someday take care of those early adopters who were waiting for long time for Bluetooth to happen, and for mp3s to work in our cars. I actually got impression that, along with the delay of the Nav DVD and Bluetooth to function in our car, the Nav DVD did appear 2 months after we purchased the car in early 2004, but later found out that Bluetooth is impossible. Then the issue about mp3... now we are not sure if mp3s can function in our cars, even though it was mentioned in the manual that it could... also, there has been rumors before about some Bluetooth adaptor that is a cheaper alternative to the infamous TCU dilemma... anyone can shed anything about this? thanks again guys!!

Happy New Year to everyone here!!
HNY to you too AJB:

Others will disagree, but I think that I am owed MP3 capability. I was told my car would play MP3's, and my manual discusses playing such files (as you mention). Please understand that I am not a militant, but I am going to pursue the issue once cars similar to mine start receiving software upgrades allowing MP3 playback.
Old 01-02-2006, 09:13 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i Mystic Blue/Black Leather Type 124 Wheels

They keep adding features to keep the cars "fresh"

March will see more features added
Old 01-02-2006, 09:17 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Long time no see E60Speed. Welcome back, buddy.

For march production, do you know if iDrive has iPod integration?
Old 01-02-2006, 10:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with everything

My philosophy is that the car is what it is as it rolls off the showroom floor to my home. Any additional features that are enabled in the future are a bonus but I don't expect it.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by rodneyremington' post='218336' date='Jan 2 2006, 02:38 PM
My philosophy is that the car is what it is as it rolls off the showroom floor to my home. Any additional features that are enabled in the future are a bonus but I don't expect it.
Hi rr:

How would you feel if a salesperson told you that a car would play MP3's off the floor, your manual confirmed the claim, and then you found the claim to be incorrect?
Old 01-02-2006, 12:23 PM
das
Site Founders

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2021 F93 M8 Competition

Originally Posted by Znod' post='218364
Hi rr:

How would you feel if a salesperson told you that a car would play MP3's off the floor, your manual confirmed the claim, and then you found the claim to be incorrect?
[/quote]

I think what he's saying is that he, personally, doesn't expect any future "promised" features that don't yet work to necessarily ever come to pass.

And as for your situation, I think I would either 1.) take issue with it now, or 2.) not at all. If "other, similar" cars ever receive this functionality from a software upgrade, there's no reason to expect yours won't as well. But that software upgrade may never come. So it would make sense to me for you to begin to pursue this now, though I have a feeling it may be futile, given that the latest software does not add this functionality to pre-Sept 2005 vehicles, implying a hardware difference between pre- and post-Sept 2005 production - a hardware upgrade that someone is going to have to pay for. (I'm still holding out hope that there may be a future software upgrade that enables MP3-playback on pre-Sept 2005 vehicles.)
Old 01-02-2006, 12:25 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Znod' post='218364
Hi rr:

[/quote]

More business for me Znod? Fraud, fraud in the inducement, intentional misrepresentation, negligent misrepresentation, breach of express warranty, and perhaps even unfair competition and false advertising.

As an aside, this isn't the first "slip of the tongue" that BMW has been guilty of. Way back when, BMW advertised the Z8 as equipped with VLSD -- even stated it on the brochures and the window sticker. But, alas, look under the underbelly, and no differential ... Ooops. BMW chalked it up, IIRC, to something being lost in the translation from German to English.
Old 01-02-2006, 01:11 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ipse dixit' post='218374
Originally Posted by rodneyremington' post='218336' date='Jan 2 2006, 02:38 PM
Hi rr:

More business for me Znod? Fraud, fraud in the inducement, intentional misrepresentation, negligent misrepresentation, breach of express warranty, and perhaps even unfair competition and false advertising.

As an aside, this isn't the first "slip of the tongue" that BMW has been guilty of. Way back when, BMW advertised the Z8 as equipped with VLSD -- even stated it on the brochures and the window sticker. But, alas, look under the underbelly, and no differential ... Ooops. BMW chalked it up, IIRC, to something being lost in the translation from German to English.
[/quote]ipse d, how bu?

We are having much fun. Brussels now. Have fun in Phoenix; it's coming up soon.

Yes, how about a class-action suit? I think it was frauduli ignorami. But, unintentional or not, .... My intention is not to hold their feet to the flame, but just to suggest that I am missing a promised feature. So, maybe ....

I think that the manual is the biggest offender since the whole universe is confused on the MP3 thing. I can't really blame a salesperson for being confused. But, being an innocent, I was not aware of the universal befuddlement. So, yes, please protect me. Sue the big bad company.
Old 01-02-2006, 06:48 PM
Members

My Ride: 05 545i silver

I agree while you may feel cheated about MP3 functionality I felt cheated when they discontinued 545 for the 550 after two years. Software upgrades and adding features is one thing but a whole engine line change and rebadging thats really shameful on BMW, even non luxury lines don't discontinue a model in two years.

Any way I felt cheated enough to sell my car and go with another automaker. It wasn't worth the agravation on seeing my car every day and realizing it was discontinued after only one year of ownership.(plus the little annoyances like throttle lag, occational rattles and auto window errors helped make the decision). What do you think made BMW think that the 545 was so flawed that they needed to replace it with the 550i?

Quick Reply: How come early adopters are getting shafted?