E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

How come early adopters are getting shafted?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 10:38 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the salesperson lied to you, yes you have a right to be upset, at him and at the dealership if they have not fired him yet. I personally was never promised MP3 capability and didn't notice a mention of it in the manual (I don't disbelieve that it is in there). Futhermore, I was one of the first people to install the aux input which has not only allowed me to play my ipod, but I've added the nav screen hack from navwithtv to see DVDs. I experienced a couple of annoyances with some of the early electronic glitches (remember the software upgrades?). Yet overall I do not feel shafted. I would have felt shafted if I purchased the outgoing 525 (which I almost did). Fortunately one honest salesperson (out of 3 visited) mentioned the new model was coming. I will consider the new 7 when it comes out in 08 as well. The enjoyment and excitement I've experienced from being one of the first ones on the block with the new 5 has outweighed any of the disadvantages of owning a first gen car. Sure BT would be nice, but my headset works fine for now.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='218817' date='Jan 3 2006, 06:36 PM
Znod, I agree with you. I knew about the 750i long before I could find any info. about the 550i. I don't trust BMW as a corporation anymore. Can anyone name an automaker that pulled a 550i like BMW? I can't. :thumbsdown:

By the way, 3 weeks for a headlight replacement? What am I suppose to do? Drive around with one headlight and the other filled with condensation? I guess performance cars much less a luxury aren't suppose to drive in the dark with one condensed headlight.
Hi B32:

I cannot name another case where a car was pulled out of a hat at the "last minute" like the 550i. Yep, I can't trust BMW. The Company lacks in customer consideration. Sorry about it being so long to fix your headlight.
Old 01-05-2006, 04:23 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Znod' post='218925
Znod, I agree with you. I knew about the 750i long before I could find any info. about the 550i. I don't trust BMW as a corporation anymore. Can anyone name an automaker that pulled a 550i like BMW? I can't. :thumbsdown:

By the way, 3 weeks for a headlight replacement? What am I suppose to do? Drive around with one headlight and the other filled with condensation? I guess performance cars much less a luxury aren't suppose to drive in the dark with one condensed headlight.
Hi B32:

I cannot name another case where a car was pulled out of a hat at the "last minute" like the 550i. Yep, I can't trust BMW. The Company lacks in customer consideration. Sorry about it being so long to fix your headlight.
[/quote]

How is improving the product line a lack of customer consideration? Everyone was complaining that BMWs needed more power in comparison to the competition, so they delivered a car with more power.
Old 01-05-2006, 05:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Product life cycles have changed, as have the dynamics. Read this:

"The Innovator's Dilemma" by Clayton M. Christensen.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/006052199...=books&v=glance http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/006052199...=books&v=glance

Its main focus isn't product cycles, but it touches upon them, and the balance a large established firm must strike when striving to innovate while keeping existing customers happy. BMW is doing the kind of innovation outlined in this book, and sometimes the balance isn't perfect - but by reading this at least one can become aquainted with the environment the consumer is forced to live in.
Old 01-05-2006, 05:58 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='218817' date='Jan 3 2006, 07:36 PM
Ferrari.
F348 Spider, just a year before the production ended and replaced with new model
F355 Spider - same as above.
F512M - 8 months in production
550 Barchetta - only few hundreds built before production ceased.
And people paid a lot more than $65+ K for these cars...
Old 01-05-2006, 06:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xi. Deep green with beige interior. 6 speed manual. Premium package.

I do not think any company has customer loyalty anymore. It is a thing of the past. The only person who cares if you buy the car is the dealer and as long as the dealer can move product - hich they are doing, then the parent company does not care.

It takes a long time to catch up with the company - look at GM and Ford

The BMW is my first non-GM - partly because I wanted the BMW but just as great a part was there in nothing form GM that meets my specifications.

As far as the switch, is there really that much difference between a 545 and a 550?
Old 01-05-2006, 06:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by dgjk' post='219522' date='Jan 5 2006, 10:40 AM
I do not think any company has customer loyalty anymore. It is a thing of the past. The only person who cares if you buy the car is the dealer and as long as the dealer can move product - hich they are doing, then the parent company does not care.

It takes a long time to catch up with the company - look at GM and Ford

The BMW is my first non-GM - partly because I wanted the BMW but just as great a part was there in nothing form GM that meets my specifications.

As far as the switch, is there really that much difference between a 545 and a 550?
To me, the tradeoff would have been getting 545i in June versus getting more HP in a 550i in, say, December. I am not sure which choice I would have made. My objection is not having full disclosure so that I could make the choice that was best for me. BMW prevented me from having the facts I needed so that I could make a well-informed decision. Check out my lengthy post above.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by dgjk' post='219522' date='Jan 5 2006, 07:40 AM
Ya, resale... smother engine... mentally knowing you got shafted... obsolete engine in less than a year of owning the car. etc etc etc
Old 01-05-2006, 09:21 AM
Contributors

EBMCS03, just trade in for a M5. You know you want one. Wish you had the M bumper at the So Cal meet I was at.

I generally like to be an early adopter in a lot of things, especially electronics, and always seem to get something, that in 3 months is better and cheaper.

I was a little miffed at the new engine, but since I leased, knew that would be able to trade up when lease was over. I know this does not help anyone that purchases it, but does not bother me to much.

Actually would have wanted more than the 360 HP. Make a 550 with 5 liter with similar output/liter (85hp/l) of the new I6 (would be 425 hp).

As far as the MP3, well did not make a difference to me, since I have the Aux Input installed for my IPOD. Not concerned about resale since a lease, but if I did not have the Aux Input, would be wanting the MP3 capability.

Totally understand the wanting to know so you can make a choice, but think with things starting to change faster than before, might run into this more often unfortunately.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:48 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by CRRobert' post='219594' date='Jan 5 2006, 01:21 PM
I was a little miffed at the new engine, but since I leased, knew that would be able to trade up when lease was over. I know this does not help anyone that purchases it, but does not bother me to much.

Yes, I am leasing, and doing so makes the "surprise" easier to take.

Actually would have wanted more than the 360 HP. Make a 550 with 5 liter with similar output/liter (85hp/l) of the new I6 (would be 425 hp).

I too would like to have, say, a 425 hp 550i. I probably don't want to go all the way to the M5. I'd rather have a 425 hp 550i and a Z06, for example.

Totally understand the wanting to know so you can make a choice, but think with things starting to change faster than before, might run into this more often unfortunately.

Right. But, any car company chosing not to play fair with its potential customers will not find me to be such a ready customer.

Quick Reply: How come early adopters are getting shafted?