E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

How come early adopters are getting shafted?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 06:59 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

BMW has language in the manual and product literature that it reserves the right to change features without notice. They try hard, but they are not perfect. Each car should be enjoyed for what it is when delivered. Any upgrade is a bonus.
Old 01-02-2006, 07:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by kryptokat' post='218502' date='Jan 2 2006, 09:48 PM
I agree while you may feel cheated about MP3 functionality I felt cheated when they discontinued 545 for the 550 after two years. Software upgrades and adding features is one thing but a whole engine line change and rebadging thats really shameful on BMW, even non luxury lines don't discontinue a model in two years.

Any way I felt cheated enough to sell my car and go with another automaker. It wasn't worth the agravation on seeing my car every day and realizing it was discontinued after only one year of ownership.(plus the little annoyances like throttle lag, occational rattles and auto window errors helped make the decision). What do you think made BMW think that the 545 was so flawed that they needed to replace it with the 550i?
I hear what you are saying, and sometimes, I'm a little upset, but sometimes, I just said, the hell with it. You see, I waited and waited to find out if they were producing the 550i for 2006 up to 8/05. No word whatsoever from anyone including the dealerships. I check the forums and there were just speculations. Now come on, BMW, you pulled a fast one because any automaker would know by 8/05 what the following year would be? Right? They intentionally kept it a secret so the dealership could sell what was left of the 05 545i.

What makes me less upsetting is that I got $7500 off the msrp price. That's right. No typo or ED here. Additionally, the mpg on the 550i is less appealing for daily commute than the 545i. I'm currently getting 19.6 mpg. With the 550i, I might as well drive my wife's Toyota Sequoia. But if I were to buy it at the regular discounted price, I would have been as upset like you.

20 years from now, a 545i will be a rare find unless the 550i will last 2 years too. I think BMW is have a rat race with MB on the V8. Right now, MB is up 387 over BMW 360 hp.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by das' post='218373
Originally Posted by rodneyremington' post='218336' date='Jan 2 2006, 02:38 PM
My philosophy is that the car is what it is as it rolls off the showroom floor to my home. Any additional features that are enabled in the future are a bonus but I don't expect it.
Hi rr:

How would you feel if a salesperson told you that a car would play MP3's off the floor, your manual confirmed the claim, and then you found the claim to be incorrect?
I think what he's saying is that he, personally, doesn't expect any future "promised" features that don't yet work to necessarily ever come to pass.

And as for your situation, I think I would either 1.) take issue with it now, or 2.) not at all. If "other, similar" cars ever receive this functionality from a software upgrade, there's no reason to expect yours won't as well. But that software upgrade may never come. So it would make sense to me for you to begin to pursue this now, though I have a feeling it may be futile, given that the latest software does not add this functionality to pre-Sept 2005 vehicles, implying a hardware difference between pre- and post-Sept 2005 production - a hardware upgrade that someone is going to have to pay for. (I'm still holding out hope that there may be a future software upgrade that enables MP3-playback on pre-Sept 2005 vehicles.)
[/quote]I agree with you das. I am implying pretty much what you say when indicating that I am not going to hold anyone's feet to the flames. Sooner might be better, but I am not commited to vigoroulsy pursuing the issue. I will make a modest effort to get a free software upgrade if, and when, the "right" software comes along. On another point, I still don't think it makes much sense to say the car is what it is when one drives it home. For example, what if one's dealer forgot to install a CD changer that was paid for, etc., etc. And, what if a car had a mistake on its window sticker, etc.
Old 01-03-2006, 03:29 AM
SKK
Senior Members

I have pro nav and my car was an October 05 build - does that mean it can play MP3's ?
Old 01-03-2006, 05:00 AM
das
Site Founders

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2021 F93 M8 Competition

Originally Posted by SKK' post='218612' date='Jan 3 2006, 06:29 AM
I have pro nav and my car was an October 05 build - does that mean it can play MP3's ?
Yes. You should be able to play MP3 data discs in the single CD slot.
Old 01-03-2006, 05:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='218519
I agree while you may feel cheated about MP3 functionality I felt cheated when they discontinued 545 for the 550 after two years. Software upgrades and adding features is one thing but a whole engine line change and rebadging thats really shameful on BMW, even non luxury lines don't discontinue a model in two years.

Any way I felt cheated enough to sell my car and go with another automaker. It wasn't worth the agravation on seeing my car every day and realizing it was discontinued after only one year of ownership.(plus the little annoyances like throttle lag, occational rattles and auto window errors helped make the decision). What do you think made BMW think that the 545 was so flawed that they needed to replace it with the 550i?
I hear what you are saying, and sometimes, I'm a little upset, but sometimes, I just said, the hell with it. You see, I waited and waited to find out if they were producing the 550i for 2006 up to 8/05. No word whatsoever from anyone including the dealerships. I check the forums and there were just speculations. Now come on, BMW, you pulled a fast one because any automaker would know by 8/05 what the following year would be? Right? They intentionally kept it a secret so the dealership could sell what was left of the 05 545i.

What makes me less upsetting is that I got $7500 off the msrp price. That's right. No typo or ED here. Additionally, the mpg on the 550i is less appealing for daily commute than the 545i. I'm currently getting 19.6 mpg. With the 550i, I might as well drive my wife's Toyota Sequoia. But if I were to buy it at the regular discounted price, I would have been as upset like you.

20 years from now, a 545i will be a rare find unless the 550i will last 2 years too. I think BMW is have a rat race with MB on the V8. Right now, MB is up 387 over BMW 360 hp.
[/quote]
I too think that BMW pulled a fast one on the 550i. I love my 545i, have a great lease, and, therefore, so what? Well, the so what is that I have lost respect for the BMW. This sort of activity is one of the reasons that I don't have any loyalty at all to any car company or, for that matter, any business--especially a corporate entity.

Car companies, including BMW, have little, if any, loyalty to their customers. And, they generally don't play fairly with their customers if they can get away with not doing so. The 550i is an example. I feel that there was some kind of highly overt attempt to keep, and success in keeping, the 550i a secret in order to sell as many 545i's as possible before letting the news out. In late June, before buying my car, I had read all the "New Cars Available" books. And, none of them knew about, or at least reported on, the 550i. Several of them actually said outright that the 545i would carry over as an 06 model. I suspect the writers were lied to by BMW--or were on the "payroll."

Also, the "New Cars Avaiable" books had no information about the 550i until several issues later--actually about the time 550i's were known for sure to be coming. Indeed, the big 3 US auto magazines published no info about the 550i until about the time the 550's were actually hitting the shores. So, again, I think that the writers were lied to or were on the "payroll."

One might asked if I would have delayed my purchase to get a 550i--not getting my car until about, say, December rather than late June. As things stand, I have enjoyed my new car six months earlier than otherwise and I probably spent less money (except that I might not have gone down the mod path). On the other hand, I did not have to have a new car since I have my Z06, etc., and would have preferred the 550i. I might have waited. But, the issue isn't whether I would or wouldn't have waited. The issue is that BMW chose to play unfairly enough that I did not have the option of the 545i or the 550i. I think that sort of behavior, with respect to either an established, or new, customer is egregious.

The bottom line is that rather than have a totally happy customer, BMW has created a sense of distrust and ill will in its direction. So, I will not go out of my way to like a BMW the best the next time. The irony is that BMW eventually would have sold my car to someone else for about what they sold it to me for. Did BMW come out ahead by keeping its little secret? Probably not--at least from the perspective of my pocket book. Furthermore, I might have bought a 550i at the end of my lease, but it is much less likely that I will buy my 545i. By then, BMW will be getting ready for its next HP increase.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by Znod' post='218640
Originally Posted by kryptokat' post='218502' date='Jan 2 2006, 09:48 PM

I too think that BMW pulled a fast one on the 550i. I love my 545i, have a great lease, and, therefore, so what? Well, the so what is that I have lost respect for the BMW. This sort of activity is one of the reasons that I don't have any loyalty at all to any car company or, for that matter, any business--especially a corporate entity.

Car companies, including BMW, have little, if any, loyalty to their customers. And, they generally don't play fairly with their customers if they can get away with not doing so. The 550i is an example. I feel that there was some kind of highly overt attempt to keep, and success in keeping, the 550i a secret in order to sell as many 545i's as possible before letting the news out. In late June, before buying my car, I had read all the "New Cars Available" books. And, none of them knew about, or at least reported on, the 550i. Several of them actually said outright that the 545i would carry over as an 06 model. I suspect the writers were lied to by BMW--or were on the "payroll."

Also, the "New Cars Avaiable" books had no information about the 550i until several issues later--actually about the time 550i's were known for sure to be coming. Indeed, the big 3 US auto magazines published no info about the 550i until about the time the 550's were actually hitting the shores. So, again, I think that the writers were lied to or were on the "payroll."

One might asked if I would have delayed my purchase to get a 550i--not getting my car until about, say, December rather than late June. As things stand, I have enjoyed my new car six months earlier than otherwise and I probably spent less money (except that I might not have gone down the mod path). On the other hand, I did not have to have a new car since I have my Z06, etc., and would have preferred the 550i. I might have waited. But, the issue isn't whether I would or wouldn't have waited. The issue is that BMW chose to play unfairly enough that I did not have the option of the 545i or the 550i. I think that sort of behavior, with respect to either an established, or new, customer is egregious.

The bottom line is that rather than have a totally happy customer, BMW has created a sense of distrust and ill will in its direction. So, I will not go out of my way to like a BMW the best the next time. The irony is that BMW eventually would have sold my car to someone else for about what they sold it to me for. Did BMW come out ahead by keeping its little secret? Probably not--at least from the perspective of my pocket book. Furthermore, I might have bought a 550i at the end of my lease, but it is much less likely that I will buy my 545i. By then, BMW will be getting ready for its next HP increase.
[/quote]

I guess I'm just a more jaded consumer. You can't fault a company for not wanting to get stuck with depreciating inventory. I have known for over a year that I wanted a 530i, and have been in a position to make the purchase for even longer. I researched and researched, combing forums and auto news sites for a very long time. What did I find? I found that if I waited a few months, I'd be treated to a new inline 6 engine. When I went to the dealership the first time, they didn't seem to know what the hell I was talking about, but that just told me it wasn't time yet. By March, they knew - and would let me order one. The 550i started being a pretty credible rumor sometime in early spring 05. Anyone who was here knew that and probably could have at least waited a bit to see if it was going to really happen.

I got lucky with MP3 - I just happened to order the right combo, and it worked out of the gate. I'm sure I'd be plenty pissed though if I still didn't have it yet since I expected the 2006 to have it. I got the exact car I thought I was purchasing, and I absolutely love it.

As far as new stuff, I'm sure before I sell my 530i there will be a ton of new neat things that I'll wish I had, but that's just the way it goes. If I don't like it, I can just trade for a newer one.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:40 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='218743
Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='218519' date='Jan 2 2006, 11:31 PM
[quote name='kryptokat' post='218502' date='Jan 2 2006, 09:48 PM']

[/quote]

I guess I'm just a more jaded consumer. You can't fault a company for not wanting to get stuck with depreciating inventory.

You are right I can't fault them. But, my strong preference is that auto company's help consumer's make the most satisfying purchases possible, rather than ending up being at least somewhat dissatisfied and viewing the companies negatively.

In this regard, I don't see the point of not telling about new cars coming to market ASAP unless a company has made a production error and needs to find a way to "place" cars in the hands of those who might not want them given full disclosure. If car companies behaved with full disclosure in this regard and planned well, then some individuals would buy "now" and some would buy later and the companies' inventory levels would be "appropriate." The result would be all pleased customers, at least in relation to the initial purchase decision, since everyone would be fully informed of their options. In the long-run, such such a strategy should be more profitable for the companies following the strategy.

As things stand, my view is that BMW made a production mistake of some kind and took advantage of consumers rather than taking the likely minor hit itself. So, I will be less inclined to buy BMW (actually two BMW's at the same time) again--although if I like the BMW best at the time of purchase, then I may buy one if the timing is such that I am not likely to get tricked again.

I have known for over a year that I wanted a 530i, and have been in a position to make the purchase for even longer. I researched and researched, combing forums and auto news sites for a very long time. What did I find? I found that if I waited a few months, I'd be treated to a new inline 6 engine. When I went to the dealership the first time, they didn't seem to know what the hell I was talking about, but that just told me it wasn't time yet. By March, they knew - and would let me order one. The 550i started being a pretty credible a rumor sometime in early spring 05. Anyone who was here knew that and probably could have at least waited a bit to see if it was going to really happen.

Yes, I had never owned a BMW so I was not tuned in. I relied on those who should have been informed given that BMW was behaving as I mentioned above--with full disclosure. Had I known that BMW was withholding the information when buying in June, then I would have been much less interested in a BMW--both in June and later. I have negative feelings about any company that does not do its best to see that the consumers of its products make the best decisions possible about their products and plan accordingly.

I got lucky with MP3 - I just happened to order the right combo, and it worked out of the gate. I'm sure I'd be plenty pissed though if I still didn't have it yet since I expected the 2006 to have it. I got the exact car I thought I was purchasing, and I absolutely love it.

That's great. I seriously am glad for you. But, many feel that way about the pre-10/05 cars. They were supposed to have MP-3 capability too--at least according to my sales guys and my manual. And, I did not get what I wanted--in a major way--full disclosure so that I could make an informed decision. Had I had full disclosure, then I would have been completely satisfied whichever car I decided on. My expectation was that a new model would not be coming out because my sales guys did not tell me about it (whether or not they knew, I don't know) and because no one that, given the timing, normally would have been informed (e.g., magazine personnel) at the time I purchased had been informed or admitted to it.

As far as new stuff, I'm sure before I sell my 530i there will be a ton of new neat things that I'll wish I had, but that's just the way it goes. If I don't like it, I can just trade for a newer one.

I agree exactly. I hope that BMW behaves with full disclosure so that you can make an informed decision rather than one based on rumor. Sometimes individuals make regretted decisions based on rumors. Don't forget that some might have waited and had to buy a 2006 545i, when they would have preferred to buy a 2005, if the rumor had turned out to be false. The rumor mill, as a basis for decisions, cuts both ways.

[/quote]
Old 01-03-2006, 02:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Znod, I agree with you. I knew about the 750i long before I could find any info. about the 550i. I don't trust BMW as a corporation anymore. Can anyone name an automaker that pulled a 550i like BMW? I can't. :thumbsdown:

By the way, 3 weeks for a headlight replacement? What am I suppose to do? Drive around with one headlight and the other filled with condensation? I guess performance cars much less a luxury aren't suppose to drive in the dark with one condensed headlight.
Old 01-03-2006, 05:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by kryptokat' post='218502' date='Jan 2 2006, 07:48 PM

ARGH! Dont remind me! I'm mad that BMW did that too! I had my car for less than 1 year and BMW dropped it and came out with the 550.

When I ordered it in October there was no news about the 550. There was little news on the 750 but none of the 550. By the time we heard anything about it it was waaay too late.

BMW makes me mad now. Their credibility is getting lower and lower as each day passes... MP3 is another issue! Why on earth did they not offer Pro Radio to Logic 7 buyers??? L7 is the TOP of the line radio and still didnt get Radio Pro but as of March 06 everything in the BMW line up got Pro Radio (*in the US*) so now I have top of the line radio but cant play MP3s

Quick Reply: How come early adopters are getting shafted?