E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

How to check if adaptive headlight is working?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2004, 08:58 PM
Guest_katmai

When the car is stand still or in parking lot speed, the adaptive head light only turns to right but not left. This is by design for 5 series driving on the right hand side.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:03 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i Silver Gray/Black Step Auto. Sports Package, Logic 7, Cold Weather Package, Parking Distance, and Rear Sun Shades 2002 330ci Titanium Silver/Gray Step Auto, Sports Package, Premium Package, Xenon, 18 inch wheels.

Good point. But... in that case, it's hard for us to test see if it is working or not right?

Any UK drivers here? Does your adaptive headlight only turn to the left when driving in slow speed?
Old 07-30-2004, 09:28 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 F10 528i - Imperial Blue, Oyster/Black, Premium, Premium 2, Cold Weather, Xenons.

When you are stopped, or moving slowly, it only moves to the right... (or left on RHD) to keep from blinding people in the parking lots and the like. Just pull up in front of a wall, turn your wheel to the right, and watch them move! So long as you are in the "Auto" position on your selector.
Old 07-30-2004, 10:33 PM
Contributors

I had this same question months ago and like here, everyone thinks I didn't know how to turn it on right.
I was very concerned about the lights because I expected to see better at night with these expensive lights. I was dissapointed because the beams in low only light up 50 feet ahead of the car. The beam is so sharp you can see the line, expecially on the highway against a concrete wall barrier. I especially disliked that this behavior was not presented in some fashion through a test drive scenario or by a movie on the computer or something before ordering the car. back then, I was unable to find a good description of how the adpative lights would look during driving. Now, there is much more, but not good enough in my opinion.
The headlight motion to the left (on my car and probably others) is dependent on the forward velocity of the car. As noted by several others, there is no turning at all when moving very slowly or stopped. What I noted, and nobody else supported this observation in the forum, is that the amount of left turn angle increases the faster you go up to a point. If you go to a 4 way stop, and begin a left turn, if done slowly in a residential area, my lights barely turn a few degrees. If I make the same turn faster, the lights turn a greater amount. At no time did I ever see them turn as sharply and quickly as they do for a right turn. If you go striaght down a road at speed, and make shallow and symmetrical weaving motions left to right and back, the lights do track the motion. Until hours were spent with the car these subtle details were not seen. The high beams responded accordingly as best I could tell. Another test that the lights are working is when turning them on, they dance about a little and can be seen on the garage wall as the 'stretch' their muscles.
Now another observation I made, and no one confirmed, is more subtle than the above. While stationary with the lights on, looking at the projected image of the lamps on the wall of the garage, you can see small variations in the intensity distribution of the beams. Now, slowly turn the wheel left to right and back (or right to left and back ) and in my setup, a thin, vertical bright spot can be seen travelling back and forth with the wheel position. The rate of motion of this spot or line is faster than the main projected beam. It appears to be some reflection off an actuator within the lamp housing. When I noted the symmetrical motion left and right, my concern the lamps were malfunctioning went away.
I still think the beams should point a little further down the road (upwards a little)since I can't see street signs on the right from far enough away.
Old 07-31-2004, 02:42 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Yep.
I noticed the same on mine. When parked they move to the right. But you can clearly see it when you drive and it's dark outside.
So, if you see them moving to the right, while switched on auto and parked, they work!
Old 07-31-2004, 03:52 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bmw545' date='Jul 31 2004, 05:03 AM
Good point. But... in that case, it's hard for us to test see if it is working or not right?

Any UK drivers here? Does your adaptive headlight only turn to the left when driving in slow speed?
Yes, and in fact the curtailed motion is described in the users manual. It is as already posted, to avoid binding oncoming vehicles.
Old 07-31-2004, 04:21 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Here's a bit more info on the subject (from BMW):

Adaptive headlights (AHL, option 524)

Option 524 "Adaptive headlights" can only be ordered in
conjunction with option 522 "Bi-xenon main and dipped-beam headlights".

The adaptive headlights (xenon dipped and main-beam headlights)
adjust their aim towards the inside of a bend when the vehicle is cornering. This improves illumination of the curve of the road. Visibility is thus improved.

When cornering, the driver is not looking into a "black hole" - instead, the adaptive headlights allow the driver to see the curve of the road.

Up to a speed of 30 km/h, the adaptive headlights are controlled on the basis of data from the steering-angle sensor (in the steering column switch cluster).

At speeds between 30 km/h and 50 km/h, the signals from the steering-angle sensor gradually make way for the signals from the yaw-rate sensor (in the DSC sensor).

At speeds greater than 50 km/h, the signals from the yaw-rate sensor (in the DSC sensor) are principally used to control the adaptive headlights.

If the vehicle drifts, skids or loses sideways grip, the adaptive headlights function is deactivated. The headlights are returned to the straight-ahead position.

If a system fault occurs, the green indicator lamp on the light switch flashes. The adaptive headlights are deactivated. If the stepper motors are still functional, the headlights are returned to the straight-ahead position.

If one of the headlights has jammed in a position in which it could dazzle oncoming vehicles, the dipped headlight concerned is switched off as soon as the vehicle is stationary.

The front fog lamps are switched on in order to ensure a minimum level of illumination. The dipped headlights are not switched off while the vehicle is in motion.
Old 07-31-2004, 04:24 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Jul 31 2004, 01:21 PM
The front fog lamps are switched on in order to ensure a minimum level of illumination. The dipped headlights are not switched off while the vehicle is in motion.
What would that mean?
Old 07-31-2004, 04:30 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I think that the last two items should be read together.

If something happens where the beam is stuck and aiming away from straight, the fog lamps are switched on. The low beams are switched off but only after coming to a stop so I guess the fogs are supposed to help out until then.
Old 07-31-2004, 06:08 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Silver Gray/Black Step Auto. Sports Package, Logic 7, Cold Weather Package, Parking Distance, and Rear Sun Shades 2002 330ci Titanium Silver/Gray Step Auto, Sports Package, Premium Package, Xenon, 18 inch wheels.

Thanks guys for the info.
Great forum here, now I know my adaptive headlight is working normaly like others. save me a trip to dealer.

Quick Reply: How to check if adaptive headlight is working?