E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

How can I get smoother SMG shifts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 12:09 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just took delivery this weekend on my 2005 545i with SMG (Titanium Gray, Sports, Nav, sunshades, cold weather).

Its a beautiful car and handles like a dream, but I am frustrated at not being able to shift more smoothly. In particular, 1st to 2nd is usually a little jolting. As I get higher it gets smoother.

QUESTION to THE GROUP: What advice do other SMG-experienced drivers have for those of us just learning? Are there any tricks? Does sports mode make it easier? Do I need to let up on the gas before upshifts? At what RPM should I shift?

I am grateful for any and all advice and suggestions.

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-16-2004, 03:39 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Did you search the forum? This has been discussed many times before.

Practice is the key. Also, it's harder to adapt to the SMG if you're abiding by the requirements of the break-in. Sometimes the smoother shifts will happen at a higher RPM, etc.

Be sure to browse through all the threads that discuss how to better shift with SMG -- it might speed up your learning curve by a little but there is no substitute for experience and practice. Be patient and it will come.

Good luck.
Old 11-16-2004, 06:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

I find that leaving it in sport mode helps a lot. As Rudy said, practice and higher RPM's will help. Give it a little time and you and the car will become "one".
Old 11-16-2004, 07:34 AM
Members

Thanks Rudy and Realtyman for passing on your wisdom.

Yes, I have read all of the discussions here and that really influenced me in opting for the SMG. Just thought someone may have some new tricks they can pass on as they learn more.

The common theme here seems to be that it will come with time. I guess I am just a little impatient. (Of course this is not a surprise since we do not buy these cars because we like to go slowly!)

I agree that the Sport Mode seems to make the shift a little smoother and high RPMs also help.
Old 11-16-2004, 07:43 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i/6sp SilverGray/Beige

Having driving an SMG Z4 for half an hour about a month ago, I can say that my smoothest shifts occurred when I let off the gas right when I tapped the paddle. Since the SMG is still a manual with a clutch and flywheel, and since it doesn't shift as fast as an F1 SMG (or even the SMGII in the M3), you have to feather in the throttle exactly like a traditional manual.

I'm sure that with practice, you will get the timing just right, but you will always have to let off the gas, let the SMG shift, then get back on the gas.

Downshifting is a breeze, and I never let off the gas when I downshifted.
Old 11-16-2004, 08:05 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW M-Power

I am with Mr.Belk couldn't said it better myself.

beewang
Old 11-16-2004, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

The only thing I'll add, and I posted this somewhere before, is that the feathering of the throttle should occur just after the paddle is pulled. Think of the paddle as the initiator in the shift sequence (like the clutch pedal was in the past). The paddle tells the car to depress the clutch so the feathering of the throttle needs to occur right about the time the car disengages the clutch -- just a half-second or so after the paddle is pulled.

The rookie mistake, in my opinion, is to pull the paddle and feather at the same time -- I found much better results if I concentrated on delaying the feather just a bit.

After some time, no concentration is needed. You will become "one" with the car and you'll do everything unconciously and by the seat of your pants.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:22 AM
Senior Members

welcome aboard, zaphod !
Old 11-17-2004, 06:26 AM
Members

Thanks MrBelk, Rudy, Beewang!

Hitting the paddle BEFORE easing on the gas does it! This is the secret I was looking for. I went out late last night to "practice" and tried this and it made all the difference! Thanks again!

I think one of my problems in getting used to the SMG is that my old 528 was an automatic transmission and I have not driven a clutch for over four years.

All the advice here was right on! I just need to get back into the "mannual transmission" frame of mind.

But anyway, I my shifts are 100 times smoother now after applying this last piece of advice -- and, honestly, just getting my brain to think like I am driving a stick is a huge break through.
Old 11-17-2004, 06:29 AM
Members

Thanks Alohalc for the greeting!

I was a lurker on this sight for quite sometime prior to getting my new 545, so am already hooked. Got lots of great info AND had a lot of laughs.

Quick Reply: How can I get smoother SMG shifts?