E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

How "BAD" is the stock suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 09:21 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its like poeple need to argue on here. If its not with me they find someone-lot of hate and anger. ANyway back to the topic can give a very consistent comparison since my car has seen too many visits to the dealer in 3 years and I have had probably 8 loaners-5 and 3 series-all nonsport, some xdrive but no RWD sport.

I have a 530 sport 07.

To clarify only in 07 and beyond did the sports package include the "multi 20 way adjustable comnfort seats" Prior to 07 the came with "sport seats" which are not nearly the same and signifigantly worse.

I think it is total b.s that you dont notice the sportrs suspension-all it takes is freeway driving at 80mph around bends or ramps to notice an uneasy feeling of the non sport cars when you are used to sports package with ars. Helps that my car weighs 3500 pounds compared to xdrive or 550 that is much heavier..

I have also tracked multiple events and there literally is zero body roll-none whatsover-the ARS can create a stiffer roll bar than one can put on using standard setup because to be that stiff all the time-0it would interfere with the linkage of the right and left sides. ARS enables the roll bar to be completely turned off on straights and any turns it kicks in-harder the turn, the stiffer the roll bar kicks in front and back-no roll. Way less roll and better handling than the 3 series sports that I have drove.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:05 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Good point on the run-flats, tuffluck but I swapped mine for non-RFTs and I have a spare, so its a much better ride. Even handles a little better now - used hop and skip on the wash-board surface, now its more smooth (but my dampers are shot, so when I get those replaced, she'll roll like a dream).

As for the sport seats, maybe you just haven't found the optimal adjustment? I'm 6ft, so I'm not that tall, but I've had friends as tall as 6'5" sit in the car and everyone - seriously, every single person - commented on the seats being very supportive. But that's a personal thing, so I get it - some people like it one way, others - other, there's no "right and wrong". I do like the lateral support of the sport seats in the curves, so to me they are

Diamond, that was a great observation - it is like people just need to fight it out here occasionally...
Old 09-10-2010, 05:51 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by v_therussian
Good point on the run-flats, tuffluck but I swapped mine for non-RFTs and I have a spare, so its a much better ride. Even handles a little better now - used hop and skip on the wash-board surface, now its more smooth (but my dampers are shot, so when I get those replaced, she'll roll like a dream).

As for the sport seats, maybe you just haven't found the optimal adjustment? I'm 6ft, so I'm not that tall, but I've had friends as tall as 6'5" sit in the car and everyone - seriously, every single person - commented on the seats being very supportive. But that's a personal thing, so I get it - some people like it one way, others - other, there's no "right and wrong". I do like the lateral support of the sport seats in the curves, so to me they are

Diamond, that was a great observation - it is like people just need to fight it out here occasionally...
yeah maybe i can never get the sport's seat to fit me comfortably. i know they are rated well and people like them. it's not that i find them uncomfortable, i just don't find the added support very useful for my slouching stance in the car seat.

i really have no complaints about my seats, except if they did NOT have lumbar support, i would be really frustrated. i would have easily opted for the sport's seats for the lumbar support if mine did not have it. my back gets sore on long trips and a simple adjustment of the lumbar really works wonders on the ride quality for me.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:31 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by attila316
Just wondering what people think about stock suspension (meaning no sports package and no m-sport package). Has anyone driving both stock and non-stock suspension give me some idea of just how "BAD" it is? Is the lacking of "Active Roll Stabilization" really "BAD" too? I know that the smaller tires and the higher stance will also change the driving mechanics of the car so please comment on these as well.

This is for the E60 5 series and the reason I'm asking is wonder I should dismiss cars w/o sport/m-sport package.

Thank you.
I've owned 5 BMW's the first one with stock suspension which IMO was good and the other 4 BMW's with sport suspension which is great. I would never buy a BMW without sport suspension, I love the way the car handles with it.IMO your the one that has to decide which one he feels is better for your needs and test drive them both. Good luck
cheers
vern
Old 09-10-2010, 08:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

I have stock suspension and it is good for what there are but they dont last that long about 55000km.
all HK memeber have change there stock suspension to Koni FSD and it is much better ride and handing and also cheaper.
for me I did not change it because I had rubber retainers to make the stock suspension last longer
Old 09-10-2010, 05:18 PM
Senior Members

Some people who dont have sport suspension downplay it and the people who have it love it. If you dont like the sport ride then just say so but dont try to act like its a downside or doesnt do anything.I think any time you buy car with a sport suspension you have to know its going to be more tight and less forgiving over bumps, Didnt think it would be a surprise for anyone These are the same people dropping the car and putting aftermarket struts. Better to have the sport option and choose not to use it then to not have it and always wonder. If certain people are looking for a soft plush ride get a mercedes e or s class.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:37 PM
Members

Originally Posted by 545IblupasdU
Some people who dont have sport suspension downplay it and the people who have it love it. If you dont like the sport ride then just say so but dont try to act like its a downside or doesnt do anything.I think any time you buy car with a sport suspension you have to know its going to be more tight and less forgiving over bumps, Didnt think it would be a surprise for anyone These are the same people dropping the car and putting aftermarket struts. Better to have the sport option and choose not to use it then to not have it and always wonder. If certain people are looking for a soft plush ride get a mercedes e or s class.
Couldnt have said it better myself !
Old 09-11-2010, 03:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by 545IblupasdU
well said.
I wish we can get the sport suspension in HK too. :thumbsdown:
Old 09-11-2010, 08:10 AM
Members

I'm wondering if there's a difference between Sport packages sold in different countries. I'm in Canada and recently purchased a 2006 530i with sport package and 6-speed manual transmission. I've read people in this thread referring to a "sport button" that changes their suspension setting, but that's the first time I've ever heard of such a thing as my "Sport" equipped e60 doesn't have one. The suspension is what it is... no adjustment possible.

My second question relates to the wheels/tires. My sport came with 245/40R18 Bridgestone run-flats. At first I thought it was a novel idea, but now I've discovered just how limited my choices are in the future when I need to replace the rubber, as well as how expensive it will be (over $400/tire here). Then I thought "no problem, I'll switch to normal rubber in the future" but then found out regular tires aren't compatible with run-flat rims and that I'll need to shell out another $3,000 for new wheels. I've been told that the suspension is set up to work with the stiffer run-flats, so my question (finally getting around to it) is how significantly different will the ride be if I bite the bullet and spend the $5 grand necessary to change the wheel/tires to a conventional system? Will it turn the handling into a 'Mercedes' or will it be barely noticeable? Does anyone have real experience they can relate from when they switched over from run-flats?
Old 09-11-2010, 09:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Brent P
I'm wondering if there's a difference between Sport packages sold in different countries. I'm in Canada and recently purchased a 2006 530i with sport package and 6-speed manual transmission. I've read people in this thread referring to a "sport button" that changes their suspension setting, but that's the first time I've ever heard of such a thing as my "Sport" equipped e60 doesn't have one. The suspension is what it is... no adjustment possible.

My second question relates to the wheels/tires. My sport came with 245/40R18 Bridgestone run-flats. At first I thought it was a novel idea, but now I've discovered just how limited my choices are in the future when I need to replace the rubber, as well as how expensive it will be (over $400/tire here). Then I thought "no problem, I'll switch to normal rubber in the future" but then found out regular tires aren't compatible with run-flat rims and that I'll need to shell out another $3,000 for new wheels. I've been told that the suspension is set up to work with the stiffer run-flats, so my question (finally getting around to it) is how significantly different will the ride be if I bite the bullet and spend the $5 grand necessary to change the wheel/tires to a conventional system? Will it turn the handling into a 'Mercedes' or will it be barely noticeable? Does anyone have real experience they can relate from when they switched over from run-flats?

There's no such thing as run flat rims, at least as far as the E60 is concerned. You do not need to change your wheels if you want to switch to regular tires. I and many, many others here have switched from RFTs to regular high performance tires with the stock sport package wheels. Others can chime in with their own experience, but for me the difference is staggering. The E60s ride and handling is transformed by the change in tire. You'll need to make up your own mind on the pros and cons of switching from RFTs, there are some judgement calls to make as the RFTs do bring some safety benefits, but they bring significant disadvantages in relation to grip, ride and handling. BMW did, of course, sell E60s from the factory with non-RFTs (550 M-Sport, M5). Simply put, whomever it is that's telling you that you need new wheels, or suggesting that the suspension will be compromised as it is set up to work with run-flats, is poorly informed. An E60 running with RFTs is, for me at least, an E60 that not delivering to its fullest potential. Putting the safety benefits to one side, and in the US at least they are marginal at best, RFTs are, quite simply, mediocre tires at best. Even the most cursory review of the TireRack rankings will show you that BMW OEM RFTs and RFTs in general are consistently at the bottom of the table.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...=Sport+Package

Quick Reply: How "BAD" is the stock suspension?