E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

How "BAD" is the stock suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 10:07 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
There's no such thing as run flat rims, at least as far as the E60 is concerned. You do not need to change your wheels if you want to switch to regular tires. I and many, many others here have switched from RFTs to regular high performance tires with the stock sport package wheels. Others can chime in with their own experience, but for me the difference is staggering. The E60s ride and handling is transformed by the change in tire. You'll need to make up your own mind on the pros and cons of switching from RFTs, there are some judgement calls to make as the RFTs do bring some safety benefits, but they bring significant disadvantages in relation to grip, ride and handling. BMW did, of course, sell E60s from the factory with non-RFTs (550 M-Sport, M5). Simply put, whomever it is that's telling you that you need new wheels, or suggesting that the suspension will be compromised as it is set up to work with run-flats, is poorly informed. An E60 running with RFTs is, for me at least, an E60 that not delivering to its fullest potential. Putting the safety benefits to one side, and in the US at least they are marginal at best, RFTs are, quite simply, mediocre tires at best. Even the most cursory review of the TireRack rankings will show you that BMW OEM RFTs and RFTs in general are consistently at the bottom of the table.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...=Sport+Package
Interesting, because I was at my dealer two days ago and specifically asked if normal tires could be mounted on my BMW rims and the service person said "No" due to the different rim design for the run flats (EH2 design they referred to it as). I would be very happy if I was misinformed because I would much rather have better handling conventional tires on my car (both summer and winter). As far as the "safety" aspect, my opinion is that sacrificing handling and traction with an RFT outweighs the potential benefit of being able to drive on a flat tire. I've only flatted once at speed in 35 years, but good tires have helped me countless times to avoid collisions (which the RFT's might not have). I'll need to look into the rim issue further, because I sure as heck don't want RFT's on the car in the future.

Somewhere else I read a comment from a BMW dealer employee saying that the suspensions were softened up to balance out the effect of the stiffer sidewalls of the RFT's and that changing to a conventional tire could make the handling sloppy. Has anyone else heard this?
Old 09-11-2010, 10:36 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 545IblupasdU
Some people who dont have sport suspension downplay it and the people who have it love it. If you dont like the sport ride then just say so but dont try to act like its a downside or doesnt do anything.
obviously the same can be said for the vice versa, that people with the sport suspension overplay it. sure, you love it. excellent. do you think everyone that does not have it hates their suspension? circular argument you're making here. even the guy with the sport's package doesn't like it, so obviously some people have opinions that you weren't expecting and refute your statement.

btw, i'm pretty sure no one at ALL has said the sport's package doesn't do anything or especially that it is inferior to stock suspension. i, for one, just think it's a bit overrated based on my experience driving both. there is a simple amount of tact your post lacks. post #18 is so far the most useful. "probably not going to tell much of a difference in daily driving, but it is a little better if you push it." enough said really.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Brent P
Interesting, because I was at my dealer two days ago and specifically asked if normal tires could be mounted on my BMW rims and the service person said "No" due to the different rim design for the run flats (EH2 design they referred to it as). I would be very happy if I was misinformed because I would much rather have better handling conventional tires on my car (both summer and winter). As far as the "safety" aspect, my opinion is that sacrificing handling and traction with an RFT outweighs the potential benefit of being able to drive on a flat tire. I've only flatted once at speed in 35 years, but good tires have helped me countless times to avoid collisions (which the RFT's might not have). I'll need to look into the rim issue further, because I sure as heck don't want RFT's on the car in the future.

Somewhere else I read a comment from a BMW dealer employee saying that the suspensions were softened up to balance out the effect of the stiffer sidewalls of the RFT's and that changing to a conventional tire could make the handling sloppy. Has anyone else heard this?
Your service guy ought to stick to making appointments. Countless members here, me included, have put standard tires on wheels that came from the factory with run flats. As for the suspension, you'll often hear the converse which is that the E60 was *not* designed from the outset to use RFTs whereas the E90 was. Either way, the net result is what it is. Switch out the RFTs for a high performance standard tire and you'll be amazed at the difference.
Old 09-11-2010, 03:02 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think one thing that is underplayed and undermentioned that I still never recieved any definete answers on is the tire pressure rec's on the door/manual for our cars-whether they do or do not take into account the stiffer RFT. For example the 07 sport package 530 has 36r32f on 18 inch wheels with RFT. No it got complicated when I switched to 19s as that alone now changes the pressur rec but they were 19 non-rft.

I always thought that the pressures the rec were for rft so if you go no-rft you should up the pressures in general to get the same performance.

Not sure why people say RFT have less performance? That i simply not true.The weight difference is really not much, within 1-3 pounds on tires and the stiffness and thickness of the sidewalls is very good for cornering performance. Comfot is another story but whowever says performance is worse than where you coming from
Old 09-11-2010, 04:16 PM
Members

My Ride: '06 530i M Sport N52

Originally Posted by attila316
I see. Thanks for the replies so far. So in other words, will I regret not getting a car w/ the sports suspension? Note: I have never owned a BMW before so my expectation will be a little different from others.

Is there significant body roll when driving a non-sport suspension car when turning? I remember reading a lot of praises for the ARS but I read one posting about it being "artificial" so I assume it's mostly a very worthwhile option.
I've stopped reading the rest of the thread right here, i can answer this one for you. my last e60 was a 530d non m sport. i reckonned it handled pretty okay. i raced motorcyles for a long time and have no problem driving the piss out of a car. i got my current car 2006 530i msport in may this year and i can tell you the difference is astounding, perhaps accentuated by the lighter engine but the difference is there nonetheless. at the time i was changing cars i test drove an e500 avantgarde which handled like shit, all over the place, compared with the humble standard 530d. however the m sport car is a major step up again. bottom line, if you like to push it sometimes, get the m car.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Diamond
Not sure why people say RFT have less performance? That i simply not true.The weight difference is really not much, within 1-3 pounds on tires and the stiffness and thickness of the sidewalls is very good for cornering performance. Comfot is another story but whowever says performance is worse than where you coming from
It absolutely is true. The RFTs BMW fits to the 5 Series are, quite simply, very mediocre tires. Compared to the stock RFT, a good non-RFT tire will grip better, corner harder and will generally transform the ride and handling. One only has to look at the tests and survey tables on Tire Rack - and I posted a link above showing the stock RE050A RFT scoring very poorly - to see that there is a clear pattern in the results and that the RFTs in general consistently score poorly. Very few high performance cars come with RFTs. BMW itself does not fit RFTs to the two high-end 5 Series, the 550 M Sport and the M5, nor does it fit run flat tires to the M3 or M6.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by Brent P

my 2009 LCI has normal tires on my stock BMW 16" rim when I got the car 1st day so your dealer is lieing to you about this.
never trust what some dealer say, they just what to make more money.
I have driven BMW car for over 10 yesrs and I am in my 2nd e60LCI and it is alright to change the tyres, I have change on all my BMW cars.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:20 PM
Members

When i bought my 545 with 53k in sept 08' it had rft's i swaped them for nrft's on the same rims. No problem !
Old 09-11-2010, 06:53 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tirerack is hardly a source of acurate performance data. All I can say I have seen is the MT test of the 04 530i with sport pack 18RFT and skipad was commented on .91 as being near the caymen or boxster dont remember which.

Tirerack is skewed by people who are not ever pushing the car to the limit you would see a difference in performance.

But as I said without data why argue-i Cannot produce it either so Ill leave it there
Old 09-11-2010, 07:01 PM
Senior Members

cayman pulls more like .96 g

Quick Reply: How "BAD" is the stock suspension?