E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

How "BAD" is the stock suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 09:16 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

Originally Posted by tuffluck
the reality is that a lot of people will eventually stop pressing that button and activating their sport suspension. so then they are just back to a non-sport suspension. i actually don't know (maybe someone else does) which models have and don't have the sport button.i have test driven both and i don't think it's a huge difference.
My 04 545i does not have a "sport" button... but the notion of getting annoyed by having to press a button each time is a bit absurd... I dont forget to press the button on my radio or steering wheel to turn on the sound when necessary... nor do I forget to press the wiper button when needed... As you will see in many threads here, certain users (myself included) really appreciate what the Sport Package gives you, and certain users like tuffluck play it down. No disrespect tuffluck, to each his own.

The active roll stabilization is amazing. The active steering is effortless. The Active Xenon lamps illuminate corners and move with precision.

As for the seats, I absolutely love them. I am only 5'8" but would think the taller you are the more support the seats would give you. Its not only the thigh support, but also the wrap around neck support, adjustable back width, lumbar height support etc...

I would say if a sweet deal comes by jump on it, and if its a sport more power to you!

Here is a link to a Sport v nonsport arguement...
https://5series.net/forums/topic/103...1#entry1232067
Old 09-09-2010, 11:06 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jaycal3
My 04 545i does not have a "sport" button... but the notion of getting annoyed by having to press a button each time is a bit absurd... I dont forget to press the button on my radio or steering wheel to turn on the sound when necessary... nor do I forget to press the wiper button when needed... As you will see in many threads here, certain users (myself included) really appreciate what the Sport Package gives you, and certain users like tuffluck play it down. No disrespect tuffluck, to each his own.

The active roll stabilization is amazing. The active steering is effortless. The Active Xenon lamps illuminate corners and move with precision.

As for the seats, I absolutely love them. I am only 5'8" but would think the taller you are the more support the seats would give you. Its not only the thigh support, but also the wrap around neck support, adjustable back width, lumbar height support etc...

I would say if a sweet deal comes by jump on it, and if its a sport more power to you!

Here is a link to a Sport v nonsport arguement...
https://5series.net/forums/topic/103...1#entry1232067
actually the majority of the valid responses on this thread have played down the sport's package.

my buddy has a 2007 650i and hasn't pressed his sport button in about 2 years. would you believe what his reason is? "i don't really notice a difference during every day driving. i guess if i went to the track i would remember to turn it on." since you don't have a button, you can't toggle between each and tell the difference. it makes sense your opinion believes sport is better.

also, for the record, i never said it wasn't better. in fact it IS better, but i believe it's overrated as well.

lumbar support is on the standard seats. neck adjustment--maybe it's just that i'm tall, but driving with your neck against the neck rest seems really unsafe. to be honest i don't actually know anyone that uses their neck rest as they drive.

haha never mind the stupid picture, but the guy driving is how i thought all driver's drove, with their head off of the headrest??? am i wrong???

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29261579@N04/2897415846/
Old 09-09-2010, 11:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: SOLD...Jet Black 2008 550i M Sport with SAT, black interior. RPI exhaust and air scoop, 35% huper optik tint all around, CF roundels, flat black kidneys, Springfield Armory XD-40 jet black in glove box, charcoal filter removed.

Originally Posted by tuffluck
actually the majority of the valid responses on this thread have played down the sport's package.

my buddy has a 2007 650i and hasn't pressed his sport button in about 2 years. would you believe what his reason is? "i don't really notice a difference during every day driving. i guess if i went to the track i would remember to turn it on." since you don't have a button, you can't toggle between each and tell the difference. it makes sense your opinion believes sport is better.

lumbar support is on the standard seats. neck adjustment. maybe it's just that i'm tall, but driving with your neck against the neck rest seems really unsafe. to be honest i don't actually know anyone that uses their neck rest as they drive.
You rub me the wrong way tuffluck, sorry. You only have 100 posts, maybe you can just create a new account and start over. Anyway I digress - the OP asked about the stock suspension didn't he? yeah the other stuff comes with the sports package, but specifically he asked about the suspension. Personally, I think the sport suspension rocks and the stock suspension is above average. Like someone else said - its a BMW and therefore will be a decent suspension.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:20 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bha7176
You rub me the wrong way tuffluck, sorry.
because you got upset that i told someone not to expect to get 20mpg like you out of your 550 if they are driving in urban seattle compared to rural pennyslvania? that's kind of silly, but okay.

yeah, the OP asked about the stock suspension. but i wasn't the first to mention all the other parts of the sport's package, i just played along and gave my own opinion as well. i think it's valid. i actually have spent ample time in both. not that i'm the only one, but a lot of people on here with opinions are owning their first bmw with or without the sport's package and really don't actually have a comparison, just want to believe they have it made better because they bought it that way. has a certified mechanic or auto-crosser ever put out any literature comparing each? i think that would be the most valid. so far the only certified review was the one mentioned above, about the non-sport's package.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:58 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i

I can still whip my 545i non-sport very hard through the corners. All in all, while not as nimble as my old 350z, it is simply astonishingly good handling for a large 4000+lb sedan
Old 09-09-2010, 12:31 PM
Members

My Ride: 550i

I have 550i with sport and 19" wheels, I feel there is way too much vibration coming through the suspension. I haven't tried 550 with standard, but 535 felt excellent with no body roll, and very smooth even on bad surfaces.
My take is that unless you are a hard core auto-cross enthusiast (5-series is a bad choice for that anyway )you don't need sport suspension, too much compromise in terms of comfort.
The sport seats are nice, but since they hold your body really tight I feel my back sweats too often in hot days.
Smaller wheels actually benefit any car in terms of dynamics as well as better comfort.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:43 PM
Members

Wow, thanks guys. Awesome community here.

Thank you all. Since the multi-contour seats can be ordered separately, lets take that out of equation. I agree with all of you that it's a great seat and since I'm only 6' it fits.

Ed
Old 09-09-2010, 12:47 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2012 535i X-driveSpace Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline Anthracite Trim; Executive Package (Rear View, Lumbar, Nav, Voice, SIRIUS, HiFi Pro) Technology Package (Hi Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Blind Spot Detection, Surround View) BMW Apps (Apps, Smart Pho
Model Year: 2012

For daily driving, I doubt you'll feel the difference. Some of the suspension improvements come from the run-flats. They alone are very stiff and improve handling BUT there is a price to be paid---both monetary (runflats cost double) and normal straight line comfort. If there is a pot hole or bump your sport suspension car will find it. Its up to you and the feel you want from the car. If you've ever owned or driven an MB the BMW regular suspension is far superior from a handling point of view. Even during normal straight line driving the BMW standard suspension is much tauter and sharper than an MB. I actually looked for a standard suspension car with Comfort seats and non-run flats. To each their own.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:20 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by bha7176
You rub me the wrong way tuffluck, sorry. You only have 100 posts, maybe you can just create a new account and start over. Anyway I digress - the OP asked about the stock suspension didn't he? yeah the other stuff comes with the sports package, but specifically he asked about the suspension. Personally, I think the sport suspension rocks and the stock suspension is above average. Like someone else said - its a BMW and therefore will be a decent suspension.
tuffluck is the same guy who says there is no power or performance difference between the 530 and 535. he's also the guy who is afraid of forgetting his kids in the car.

he acts like he is trolling, but sadly i think he is that way.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:18 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by turboawd
tuffluck is the same guy who says there is no power or performance difference between the 530 and 535. he's also the guy who is afraid of forgetting his kids in the car.

he acts like he is trolling, but sadly i think he is that way.
thanks for being my troll, though.

i don't have time to interpret your reasons for attacking me or disrespecting my best friend's daughter's death, but to respond to your cannibalization of my words about the difference in speed between the 530i and the 535i:

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynomometer

"Only torque and speed can be measured; Power must be calculated from the torque and speed figures according to the formula:

HP= (torque x RPM) / 5252"

horsepower is a measure of torque; likewise torque is an inverse measure of horsepower, so it isn't really necessary to have a torque number to calculate a 1/4 mile time.

Originally Posted by turboawd
your "calculator" ignores torque. i dont understand why you keep spewing nonsense. you're constantly trying to prove and justify your purchase of a 530, versus the other engines. yes, the 530 is a decent engine, but quit saying it almost performs the same as the other engines.

Quick Reply: How "BAD" is the stock suspension?