E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Hong Kong E60 sub-Forum

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 01:54 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05 Silver Grey 523i | Step, M-Kit, M5 Trunk Finisher, 19" ACS Type IV Wheels, Goodyear F1 GS-D3 245/35/19, Grey Dakota Leather, Maple Wood Sycamore Anthracite, Advanced Climate Control, Electric rear sunblind, Electric folding mirrors with automatic anti-dazzle, Lights package, PDC, Rain sensor, Business Radio, CD Changer

Originally Posted by Bunbun' date='Sep 29 2005, 05:44 PM
Funny thing is, I do know how to ride a motorcycle (with gears of course), I had a Ninja back when I was in college? ? but those were the days.? So I think I know the concept of stick shift in a car but just too lazy to shift.
[snapback]176818[/snapback]
Stick shift is fun!!!! Especially in a BMW E36, the throw is so precise. I missed that alot!

By the way, does anyone know how to find out the build date of our car? In US/Canada, they have it on the sticker in the door jamb, but I can't find it in ours. I need to know it because I am planning to get the trunk lid button retrofit from Hobi, he needs to know if my car was build before Mar 2005.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by mic325' date='Sep 29 2005, 05:54 PM
[quote name='Bunbun' date='Sep 29 2005, 05:44 PM']Funny thing is, I do know how to ride a motorcycle (with gears of course), I had a Ninja back when I was in college? ? but those were the days.? So I think I know the concept of stick shift in a car but just too lazy to shift.
[snapback]176818[/snapback]
Stick shift is fun!!!! Especially in a BMW E36, the throw is so precise. I missed that alot!

By the way, does anyone know how to find out the build date of our car? In US/Canada, they have it on the sticker in the door jamb, but I can't find it in ours. I need to know it because I am planning to get the trunk lid button retrofit from Hobi, he needs to know if my car was build before Mar 2005.
[snapback]176825[/snapback]
[/quote]

Don't really know, they don't even display the VIN number here in HK.

Who is this Hobi guy, heard alot about him and the trunk release button
Old 09-29-2005, 02:03 AM
Members

Hi Guys

This may be a stupid question but I have been reading some of the forums on this site, particularly the ones based in the US... they keep mentioning a software update on the I drive. Are we supposed to take our car in every once in awhile to get the software updated. They are talking about version 19 or something... do you know what version a recently purchased car has?? 18??
Old 09-29-2005, 02:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by pogo1' date='Sep 29 2005, 06:03 PM
Hi Guys

This may be a stupid question but I have been reading some of the forums on this site, particularly the ones based in the US... they keep mentioning a software update on the I drive. Are we supposed to take our car in every once in awhile to get the software updated. They are talking about version 19 or something... do you know what version a recently purchased car has?? 18??
[snapback]176830[/snapback]
Don't really know about the version but I think Mic325 have a way to find out. Plus we don't really need to take our car in until it is neccessary (ie. when something is wrong or schedule service). The reason why people in the States can update their software so frequent is because they just drive more than us hence they need to change oil more often (schedule service). If they lease a car, BMW give them an allowance of 24,000km per year, as in HK we drive like 2 years and the car doesn't even reach 20,000km.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:13 AM
Members

Originally Posted by AC_S5' date='Sep 29 2005, 05:08 AM
[quote name='pogo1' date='Sep 29 2005, 06:03 PM']Hi Guys

Don't really know about the version but I think Mic325 have a way to find out. Plus we don't really need to take our car in until it is neccessary (ie. when something is wrong or schedule service). The reason why people in the States can update their software so frequent is because they just drive more than us hence they need to change oil more often (schedule service). If they lease a car, BMW give them an allowance of 24,000km per year, as in HK we drive like 2 years and the car doesn't even reach 20,000km.
[snapback]176832[/snapback]
[/quote]
Thanks... it seems from thier response that these updates are creating better performance from the cars!
Old 09-29-2005, 02:17 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pogo1' date='Sep 29 2005, 06:13 PM
[quote name='AC_S5' date='Sep 29 2005, 05:08 AM'][quote name='pogo1' date='Sep 29 2005, 06:03 PM']Hi Guys

[snapback]176832[/snapback]
[/quote]
Thanks... it seems from thier response that these updates are creating better performance from the cars!
[snapback]176833[/snapback]
[/quote]

Well it should be since everything on our car is being controlled by the computer.
Don't really know if it's a good thing or not
Old 09-29-2005, 03:30 AM
Senior Members

I know a little about this topic since my car is among the first batch out of the factory and needed to catch up on software updates. There is no way to find out what software version we hv (sorry sliu_uu, I told u wrong) except thru your service rep. My car was jerky at low speeds at the beginning but after several "software" updates, the problem is gone. So if your car is acting up strangely, may not be a bad idea to bring it in for a software update. Otherwise, leave it alone....hehe.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:34 AM
Senior Members

On the same subject, what I don't understand is why BMW doesn't include a USB port in the dash and just let owners "download" and "upload" the patches as they are released. It's much more convenient that way since everytime I bring the car in it takes more than a day. Maybe they're afraid of viruses attacking the car's system....hehe.
Old 09-29-2005, 06:41 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 Silver Grey 523i | Step, M-Kit, M5 Trunk Finisher, 19" ACS Type IV Wheels, Goodyear F1 GS-D3 245/35/19, Grey Dakota Leather, Maple Wood Sycamore Anthracite, Advanced Climate Control, Electric rear sunblind, Electric folding mirrors with automatic anti-dazzle, Lights package, PDC, Rain sensor, Business Radio, CD Changer

Originally Posted by AC_S5' date='Sep 29 2005, 05:57 PM
Don't really know, they don't even display the VIN number here in HK.

Who is this Hobi guy, heard alot about him and the trunk release button?
[snapback]176827[/snapback]
Here is the thread for trunk release button retrofit

Since all the E60 in the US has the button, Hobi has created a kit for Euro/Asian spec cars to have this button installed. Don't understand why BMW take it out in the E60, I have that in my E46.
Old 09-29-2005, 07:56 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by mic325' date='Sep 29 2005, 10:41 PM
[quote name='AC_S5' date='Sep 29 2005, 05:57 PM']Don't really know, they don't even display the VIN number here in HK.

Who is this Hobi guy, heard alot about him and the trunk release button?
[snapback]176827[/snapback]
Here is the thread for trunk release button retrofit

Since all the E60 in the US has the button, Hobi has created a kit for Euro/Asian spec cars to have this button installed. Don't understand why BMW take it out in the E60, I have that in my E46.
[snapback]176931[/snapback]
[/quote]

From the thread, I think Hobi will be in HK. If you are ordering and find out the date of production of your car, let me know. The E60 have everything that's missing from my previous E39 except this button, now I have to get off the car everytime to open the trunk for my family and gf.

Quick Reply: Hong Kong E60 sub-Forum