E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

holy shitttt

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 06:06 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i 6 speed, Silver Gray A08, Gray leather Mods: Hard-Wired Passport 9500ix LIVE , K&N Air + RPi Scoop, Mtech V2.1 AE, ACS pedals+Ebrake, flip up front plate, OEM 172's, Custom M Kit, M3 shift knob, Eisemann Race Exhaust 2005 X5 3.0 (the nightmare) 1998 528i SOLD @ 173K

Originally Posted by dezenuts
what do you mean 'recharge'? and why don't you put in the orange paper filter in instead of the charcoal filter?
Well you have to clean the K&N air filter and re oil it. Excess oil can coat the MAS and break it.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:36 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 e60/black sapphire metallic/auburn leather/heated front seats and steering wheel/premium package/premium sound package/sport package/shadow line trim/6 disc in dash/multi-contour front seats/sport suspension/comfort access/moon roof/ rear all around sun shades/park distance control front and back/adaptive xenon headlights/ navigation/ Aerodynamic kit/ carbon fiber roundels hood trunk and steering wheel/ 35% tint all around + visor/ racing dash license plate lights/ matte black grille/ invisabulb turn signals/ charcoal filter delete/ euro stickers/ weisslicht LED side markers

Originally Posted by GsQ
so let me get this straight you just complete took out the air filter and did not replace it with anything and left the box empty?
no dude i think you're getting it wrong. There is an orange paper filter (dont take this out unless you upgrade with another filter)and there is a black/grey charcoal filter attached to the cover of the airbox (take out that POS)
Old 03-29-2011, 06:37 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 e60/black sapphire metallic/auburn leather/heated front seats and steering wheel/premium package/premium sound package/sport package/shadow line trim/6 disc in dash/multi-contour front seats/sport suspension/comfort access/moon roof/ rear all around sun shades/park distance control front and back/adaptive xenon headlights/ navigation/ Aerodynamic kit/ carbon fiber roundels hood trunk and steering wheel/ 35% tint all around + visor/ racing dash license plate lights/ matte black grille/ invisabulb turn signals/ charcoal filter delete/ euro stickers/ weisslicht LED side markers

Originally Posted by e60oholic
Well you have to clean the K&N air filter and re oil it. Excess oil can coat the MAS and break it.
hmm I'm thinking about getting one. how much? and do you feel your car breathing easier??
Old 03-29-2011, 09:32 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by GsQ
so let me get this straight you just complete took out the air filter and did not replace it with anything and left the box empty?
Theres a secondary filter that clips into the airbox cover you can remove it by using a screwdriver to wedge it out. The regular orange paper filter or aftermarket remains in the airbox.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

I've gone back and forth on doing this mod many times, but never did it. I've gotta say, if it doesn't do anything, why bother? What's the charcoal filter for anyway?
Old 03-29-2011, 11:32 PM
GsQ
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 525i Premium Package "All Black Everything" EXT: 20% Tint All Round | M-Front (Weezy) | Black/White Roundels | Shadowline Paint Match Grilles | M Style Sidemarkers | Vertini Riviera-S 20s INT: I POD Intg | Trim Rings | ACS Pedals | Cobra XRS 10G LHT: Xenon Adaptive | XENESIS Fogs| WeissLicht Plate LEDS | Door LEDS I Interior Xenon Pkg PER: RPI Induction (Weezy) | BMC Filter | Sprint Booster V2 AUD: JL Audio

Originally Posted by dezenuts
no dude i think you're getting it wrong. There is an orange paper filter (dont take this out unless you upgrade with another filter)and there is a black/grey charcoal filter attached to the cover of the airbox (take out that POS)

Ok i see what you are saying. Ok im with you, ill take it out so long as you tell me why and what it will do for me.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 550i, Mystic Blue over Auburn, 6-Manual, Sports, Premium, Cold Weather, Logic 7, Nav, Sirius, MTec Front & Sides with M5 rear apron, VIS Penta carbon fiber vented hood, OEM M166s, (or Style 101M with winter 19 Blizzaks), BMW Blue Calipers, Custom Quad Exhaust and M5 side grills, trunk finisher and spoiler. Rogue Octane SSK/WSR and Zeckhausen CDV, BMW illuminated shift knob, Delivered 4/26/06 - Ordered 3/18/06 from Otto's (the Best) BMW Dealership.

As I remember- the charcoal filter is there to capture any free fuel mixture evaporating FROM the engine AFTER the car is turned off. So it's really an emmissions over-regulation to protect potential mistakes made by the computer/fuel injection during the shutdown procedure. The European market doesn't require this protection so they wisely omit it from the design.

I could be wrong but that's what I seem to remember when I asked 5 years ago when I got the car.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by TAJARO
As I remember- the charcoal filter is there to capture any free fuel mixture evaporating FROM the engine AFTER the car is turned off. So it's really an emmissions over-regulation to protect potential mistakes made by the computer/fuel injection during the shutdown procedure. The European market doesn't require this protection so they wisely omit it from the design.

I could be wrong but that's what I seem to remember when I asked 5 years ago when I got the car.
In this case - and since there is really no verifiable data to show it improves performance - I think I'll keep mine in.

I'm sure plenty of young'uns here will say "what's the difference", but I'd rather keep it in, and keep as many harmful chemicals out of the environment, as I can.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:55 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i/6

There is definately a difference. I pulled mine approx 25k miles ago and havnt looked back. No error messages or issues at all. I noticed an immediate gain in throttle response, growl, and a tad more upper rpm pull. It makes since, you are eliminated something that is restricting airflow to your engine.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:13 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

Originally Posted by v_therussian
In this case - and since there is really no verifiable data to show it improves performance - I think I'll keep mine in.

I'm sure plenty of young'uns here will say "what's the difference", but I'd rather keep it in, and keep as many harmful chemicals out of the environment, as I can.

I believe TAJARO is correct. A friend of mine is a BMW tech and I asked him about this mod... he verified that it is the quickest way to gain a little power and response but stressed it may be small. He recommended a cold air intake and this combined. I asked him about error msgs, and he said that every now and then someone gets a MAF sensor issue but its nothing steady.

Quick Reply: holy shitttt