E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

holy crap!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 10:11 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Originally Posted by Uzzle' post='591224' date='May 29 2008, 09:13 PM
WOW, M5's are beasts! That sound is crazzzzzzy! Hopefully, sometime later down the road my car will evolve and I'll have a M5.
I want to hear about how you guys flamed the M5 dudes in person at the meet. It's always easier to bash people on here for doing stupid crap in their cars, but we've all done it at some point in our lives and probably will continue to. Everyone has his or her own safety and/or stupidity level. As you get older, and hopefully wiser, the former goes up with the latter declining.....usuallly. Unfortunately, as we get older we think we know how to drive better, but that still doesn't make it wise.

I try to keep my runs these days to 1AM on the empty highways coming home from work. When I was 16 it was balls to the wall in rush hour traffic, racing fellow high schoolers home from school. Of course my 1980 Toyota Celica had 83 HP back then!! So, I wasn't exactly going anywhere in a hurry!

So let me know about your arguments with the crazy, irresponsible M5 guys. I am sure the conversation will be different in person.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i Custom Matt White Paint by PLATINUM VIP | Sport Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | 6 Speed Manual | Premium Sound | Oem ///M5 Front Bumper | Oem ///M5 Rear Bumper | OEM ///M5 Side Skirts | Oem ///M5 Trunk Finisher | Oem ///M5 Fenders | 20% Tint | Vip Modular Wheels | 21x9.5 F | 21 x11 R | Magnaflow Exhaust | AAA Oval Tips | RPI Scoops | KW V2 Coilovers | Predator Ice V2 Angel Eyes | LED Side Turn Signal Markers ( Smoked ) Cross Drilled Rotors | CF Engine cover | Axxis Deluxe Break Pads | K&N Drop in

Originally Posted by 530ISPORT' post='591158' date='May 29 2008, 04:52 PM

SWEEEEET !!!!!!
Old 05-29-2008, 10:44 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 Chevy 3500 DRW: 7" lift, 35" tires, PPE stage 7, MBRP turbo-back, back-up camera, trac bars, Bilsteins. Pine air freshener.

Originally Posted by DrLev99' post='591381' date='May 30 2008, 02:11 AM
I want to hear about how you guys flamed the M5 dudes in person at the meet. It's always easier to bash people on here for doing stupid crap in their cars, but we've all done it at some point in our lives and probably will continue to. Everyone has his or her own safety and/or stupidity level. As you get older, and hopefully wiser, the former goes up with the latter declining.....usuallly. Unfortunately, as we get older we think we know how to drive better, but that still doesn't make it wise.

I try to keep my runs these days to 1AM on the empty highways coming home from work. When I was 16 it was balls to the wall in rush hour traffic, racing fellow high schoolers home from school. Of course my 1980 Toyota Celica had 83 HP back then!! So, I wasn't exactly going anywhere in a hurry!

So let me know about your arguments with the crazy, irresponsible M5 guys, since I don't think I'll be making the meet...too damn far for me.
I personally spend my own money to get people off the street and onto the track. I own a motorcycle dealership, and will buy groups of TD certificates to give away with purchases of sport bikes.
I'm floored at the maturity level I'm seeing on this site. I frequent a couple of Evo site's, and while the average age of Evo owners is lower than that of BMW 5-series owners, the maturity level, and common sense shown on the Evo sites are much higher than what I've seen on here. If you even post about street racing on EvoM, the post will be removed and you will be admonished. I'm totally floored with the amount of people on here justifying street racing (especially when the video in question shows a car racing through traffic).
I understand an 18 year old kid who buys a sport bike thinking he's indestructible, and going out and trying his luck. I preach to them, and as I wrote, spend my own money trying to get them on the track. I don't understand the lack of common sense and concern for others that I've seen displayed by what demographics show, to be older, more mature individuals that participate in this forum.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:13 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Originally Posted by fastkevin' post='591397' date='May 29 2008, 11:44 PM
I personally spend my own money to get people off the street and onto the track. I own a motorcycle dealership, and will buy groups of TD certificates to give away with purchases of sport bikes.
I'm floored at the maturity level I'm seeing on this site. I frequent a couple of Evo site's, and while the average age of Evo owners is lower than that of BMW 5-series owners, the maturity level, and common sense shown on the Evo sites are much higher than what I've seen on here. If you even post about street racing on EvoM, the post will be removed and you will be admonished. I'm totally floored with the amount of people on here justifying street racing (especially when the video in question shows a car racing through traffic).
I understand an 18 year old kid who buys a sport bike thinking he's indestructible, and going out and trying his luck. I preach to them, and as I wrote, spend my own money trying to get them on the track. I don't understand the lack of common sense and concern for others that I've seen displayed by what demographics show, to be older, more mature individuals that participate in this forum.
Before you judge, I don't think the responses to this thread is an accurate representation of people on this board. I don't even think most of the folks that replied here are really stating either way if they're for or against street racing. Most are just commenting on the stunning sounds and speed of the Ms in that video; not necessarily condoning it.

I remember when someone else had posted a thread about his run with a 335 going around 140 on one of the NorCal freeways and pretty much everyone bashed him for doing so. I think that's because his thread was obviously about how fast he drove which was crazy.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '07 550i with SP, Nav, Logic7

Originally Posted by fastkevin' post='591397' date='May 30 2008, 02:44 AM
I think you misunderstand the responses from most members here. We admire the M5 not public street racing.

Do a search. You will find very few "kill stories", unlike other forums. Go to acurazine for example, under "Acura TL/Racing and competitions" almost EVERY thread is a "kill story".

Don't even let me start on Evo drivers. I normally don't stereotype people but I have not seen an Evo driver who drives responsibly.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:27 AM
Contributors

I am sensitive to the feelings of those who feel that videos like this are absurd. I have children and feel the need to protect just as much as you. HOWEVER, driving fast on the highway in a car you pay big $ for is a favored pastime for enthusiasts in most ALL developed countries and certainly in America. This has been taking place since the drag races of the 50's and continues on today. I certainly dont condone RECKLESS driving but I dont feel that driving fast is hand in hand with driving reckless. The guys in these vids all have families and kids as well. No one is looking to be a maniac. Those of you who have all of these negative comments to share are not taking everything into consideration. Do you really want everyone else to believe that you dont drive fast, ever? You dont push your car on an open stretch, EVER? Hard to believe. Why drive these cars if thats the case? Everyone against this thread should be driving a 525 or the like if thats your thought process. It's fast enough isnt it? How about saying, wow, those cars are sick, sound sick and look sick, i just hope everyone stays safe. Thats enough. Everyone knows what you mean and I'm sure we all feel the same. The derogatory comments are unneccesary because I guarantee, some of you are throwing stones in glass houses or calling the kettle black. Whichever you choose.

All the best
Old 05-30-2008, 06:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 Ford F-250 Harley Davidson Edition 6.4L OHV Power Stroke Turbo Diesel V8 (350hp/650lbft) Blue Flame Package Dual Alternators Touch Screen Navigation + DVD Player Uplifter Switches Trailer Brake Controller Traction Control Rapid Heat Supplemental Cab Heater Rear View Camera Power Slide Moonroof

Originally Posted by fastkevin' post='591397' date='May 29 2008, 10:44 PM
I have an idea... stay on the evo forums

We could care less about your $0.2 don't come on this forum with your 10 posts and start bashing everyone calling us immature acting like kids with no common sense. E60.net has the best BMW forum there is, and I garantee you 98% of the people on here are not what you classify as "immature having no common sense". This site is all about sharing knowledge and helping one another out with whatever we need to know. I suggest you place your posts elsewhere.

I hope in a few years I'm driving a m5 that sounds like that, nice vids thanks for sharing
Old 05-30-2008, 07:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 535i, A/T & Paddle Shifters, AW, NB Leather, Sport, Premium, Nav, 6FL

Damn i felt the adrenaline rush just by watching! 180Mph? OMFG!!!
Old 05-30-2008, 08:33 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 Chevy 3500 DRW: 7" lift, 35" tires, PPE stage 7, MBRP turbo-back, back-up camera, trac bars, Bilsteins. Pine air freshener.

Originally Posted by poleposition' post='591559
Those of you who have all of these negative comments to share are not taking everything into consideration. Do you really want everyone else to believe that you dont drive fast, ever? You dont push your car on an open stretch, EVER? Hard to believe. Why drive these cars if thats the case? Everyone against this thread should be driving a 525 or the like if thats your thought process. It's fast enough isnt it?
Firstly, you're comparing racing in and out of cars on the freeway at over 100mph to "you don't drive fast, ever?" Apples and oranges..don't ya think? I don't get the point about driving a 525.. A Prius will do over 100mph. Does that mean you should drive your Prius at over 100mph?
Originally Posted by poleposition' post='591559' date='May 30 2008, 09:27 AM
I guarantee, some of you are throwing stones in glass houses or calling the kettle black. Whichever you choose.
Some people live close to canyons or mountain roads. It's certainly possible to have a good time driving these roads, while staying under control and not endangering other people.
Most people in the United States live within driving distance of at least one track. Most of the time several, not including drag strips. A lot of people come out of the canyons, give the RR track a shot, and realize that comparing the speeds between the two, you couldn't even keep the heat in DOT track tires, in the canyons. I did my first track day on a bike 14 years ago, and then realized I couldn't have that much fun on the street, so I started racing. Several years later, I started road racing cars. I still road race bikes, and I bought an Evo to go flog on the track. I don't even drive it on the street. It's too easy to get on the track, and with the higher corner speeds, there's no comparison with the street. If acceleration is your gig, most drag strips have at least on or two nights a week when you can "run what ya brung" Drag racing seems to be the popular thing to do nowadays because of it's competitiveness, relative inexpense, and the ease of doing it. Heck, a lot of PD's are settting up "Drag Nights" and are even competing in 'em themselves. Running against the Po-Po legally.
Bottom line is this: Everybody deserves to be able to drive on public roads without being caught up in a street race, and possibly being injured or worse. The amount of exposure this crap is getting, is drawing down attention on everyone with a hi-po car/bike. Insurance rates are going up, and the amount of people voicing their opinion(s) against thes types of vehicles is growing expotentially every year. Doesn't matter that it's a BMW, that may not look as menacing as a ZX-10, or Porsche GT-2. It's simply lists of vehicles with their horsepower and top speed. The French have already succeeded in getting limits set on motorcycle top speeds. Even motorcycles sold here. Don't think for a minute that the same thing can't or won't happen with cars. Not only speed limiters, but power limits as well.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:38 AM
Contributors

Ok FASTkevin. Welcome to the forums. You'll acclimate.

All the best

Quick Reply: holy crap!!!!