E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

The "hold down accelerator for 25s" trick for smoother shift

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 03:59 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 525i Metallic Silver Grey M Sport Aero Dynamic Kit | M Sport Suspension | Business Navigation | Sports Front Seats | M Sport Leather Steering Wheel | Sunroof | PDC | 18" M Sport Double Spoke Light Alloy | M Spoiler | LCI Tail Light | HID 6000K 2010 Mazda CX9 Aluminium Metallic

IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!

I JUST TRIED IT.

I LOVE MY CAR AGAIN.

to the person who found this
Old 06-09-2010, 07:47 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i

Wow that worked great!! I hated the hesitation from a stop I felt on my 2004 545i, plus the shift points seemed very odd. This cleared it up and amazing how much different it feels.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:54 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Cancuckcarnut
I have a 2004 545i with an issue that seems to be transmission related, and I can't fix.

When the car is in drive and heading down the road at a steady speed, especially in the 55-60 kph range, the car experiences a rhythmic hesitation - about every 3-4 seconds, it almost feels as if somebody is tapping the brakes. It's very evident. It never occurs over 80 kph. On the highway, the car is a dream. But back in the city, the symptom returns. It's been happening for about 4 months.

I was thinking a coil was faulty, but at the shop, no codes related to that. And, of course, no codes related to the transmission either... has anybody else experienced this? Any thought as to whether this 25s trick will have an effect? I don't want to try anything that might make things worse...

Originally Posted by Burj530
I had the same problem. It happened at around 80~90 km/h in steptronic mode. Get the software updated and the problem is fixed.
I'm an new owner of a 2004 545i. Sadly I suffer from the exact symptom above at ~80km/h, only in 5th gear but not the sixth. Really fustrating as I drove 80% of my time at this exact speed.
BMW Hong Kong changed both the ATF and sensors last year but this doesn't seem to help.

Thought the gearbox is toased with less than 50k KM milage until I see this post. Gonna try this "Soft Reset" this afternoon.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i Mods: M5 sporty package, M5 Steering wheel, Sprint Booster

Originally Posted by guyver
I'm an new owner of a 2004 545i. Sadly I suffer from the exact symptom above at ~80km/h, only in 5th gear but not the sixth. Really fustrating as I drove 80% of my time at this exact speed.
BMW Hong Kong changed both the ATF and sensors last year but this doesn't seem to help.

Thought the gearbox is toased with less than 50k KM milage until I see this post. Gonna try this "Soft Reset" this afternoon.
Wish can help. Welcome to Hong Kong sub-group blow water night.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:04 AM
Members

I've performed this technique of resetting the transmission many times, but it always goes back to the same lousy shifting. This whole idea of the transmission "learning to shift according to how you drive" is flawed because driving conditions constantly change. If I'm driving the car very hard, the transmission basically does the right thing. Typical driving conditions rarely allow that, even if I'm in the mood, resulting in a rough, jerky ride. As a driver, I find it annoying that the transmission is making itself so visible in the driving experience. German cars excel mechanically, but are lacking in computer and software implementation. IDrive is another example.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:21 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 525i
Model Year: 2007

well this could help u saving gas mileage ? Ill try later on today though, ty
Old 07-06-2010, 10:46 AM
Members

I just did the reset but I don't believe I heard any tranny noises. I haven't drivven the car yet. I will let you guys know my findings. Keeping my fingers crossed
Old 07-06-2010, 12:00 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BlueRocket
I've performed this technique of resetting the transmission many times, but it always goes back to the same lousy shifting. This whole idea of the transmission "learning to shift according to how you drive" is flawed because driving conditions constantly change. If I'm driving the car very hard, the transmission basically does the right thing. Typical driving conditions rarely allow that, even if I'm in the mood, resulting in a rough, jerky ride. As a driver, I find it annoying that the transmission is making itself so visible in the driving experience. German cars excel mechanically, but are lacking in computer and software implementation. IDrive is another example.
same here...will resetting the transmission too many times damage the transmission?

RCT
Old 07-06-2010, 02:54 PM
Members

It worked. God I love my 550
Old 07-06-2010, 06:10 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 525i
Model Year: 2007

well i did on mine, didnt here any thing, oh well i didnt feel anything different though. Is this suppose to save some gas mileage ?

Quick Reply: The "hold down accelerator for 25s" trick for smoother shift