E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

The "hold down accelerator for 25s" trick for smoother shift

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 06:11 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by chadld' post='1025554
wow, i just tried it and it seemed to work....took it for a drive around the block and it feels alot more smoother and crisp as far as shifting...especially the delay i usually get from the tranny when pressing the acceleration..it seemed like it didnt want to shift and then finally did. but now very smooth ill have to drive a bit more to actually see a big deifference but even now i fel it...although when resetting i didnt hear any computer or something like that resetting to factory specs. but it seemed to work.. maybe it did and i didnt hear it. great post man.....very helpful
Glad to see this worked for you both.

Originally Posted by Phil75070' post='1026940' date='Oct 7 2009, 01:31 PM
I'm curious as to how often people feel the need to do this. Mileage based? Time? Once a week, a month?
I am curios to see if this happens more frequently with cars driven by multiple drivers. I mean, if these transmissions adapt to the way YOU drive, wouldn't it make sense that the transmission is going to try and compensate when someone else drives the car and then you drive the car again??? Would the harsh shifting be due to the car trying to adapt to two different drivers?
Old 04-13-2010, 11:19 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

let's bring this one back for some of the new guys
Old 04-13-2010, 12:02 PM
Members

When I m crusing around 55km/h-60km/h, the car would jerk. I don't know will this fix the problem
Old 04-13-2010, 03:36 PM
Members

I'm always a bit dubious when I read about transmission or throttle body adaptations that people claim occur over large windows of time, as I can never see why a manufacturer would go to the additional effort of providing that functionality when adapting over a short period of time would not only be easier, but more effective too. A car 'remembering' how you drove it last week serves no purpose. It also takes additional hardware (such as memory for all the extra sensor logging needed) and software to do this pointless act...

This technical overview of the E60 auto transmission seems to back that up too:

https://5series.net/forums/uploads/1...213_323991.pdf

In particular, see pages 4 and 5 where it discusses the adaptive transmission control. The section on 'Adaptation to driver type' even states that "The driver-type adaptation is restarted each time the vehicle pulls away from a standstill."

I've tried the reset mentioned in this thread and felt no difference at all. It's quick and free, so you have nothing to lose by doing it, but I'm not convinced by it at all and I've never heard a logical explanation for why it should need to be done in the first place. The explanation in that PDF for why you don't need to reset makes perfect sense though.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:57 AM
Contributors

Is this could be done with SMG as well? for M5s?
Old 05-26-2010, 07:31 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by bmw550ifreak
Is this could be done with SMG as well? for M5s?
yes it can, it might be buried somewhere in this long thread, slightly different procedure with SMG transmission but I've seen it mentioned in other threads as well...

http://forums.5serie...post__p__355153

and

http://forums.5serie...post__p__518982
Old 05-26-2010, 10:25 AM
Contributors

Thank you Gene, I will try this on see how it works !
Old 05-26-2010, 01:47 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2007 Black Sapphire 535i

Interesting post. In the process of ordering a Speed Booster V2 but I'll definately give this a try too.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 E60 523 executive 20"ASA / Bi-Xenon / Full M-tech / LED Angel Eyes / Matte Black Kidney's / LED Side Markers

Originally Posted by spandex
I'm always a bit dubious when I read about transmission or throttle body adaptations that people claim occur over large windows of time, as I can never see why a manufacturer would go to the additional effort of providing that functionality when adapting over a short period of time would not only be easier, but more effective too. A car 'remembering' how you drove it last week serves no purpose. It also takes additional hardware (such as memory for all the extra sensor logging needed) and software to do this pointless act...

This technical overview of the E60 auto transmission seems to back that up too:

http://forums.5serie..._213_323991.pdf

In particular, see pages 4 and 5 where it discusses the adaptive transmission control. The section on 'Adaptation to driver type' even states that "The driver-type adaptation is restarted each time the vehicle pulls away from a standstill."

I've tried the reset mentioned in this thread and felt no difference at all. It's quick and free, so you have nothing to lose by doing it, but I'm not convinced by it at all and I've never heard a logical explanation for why it should need to be done in the first place. The explanation in that PDF for why you don't need to reset makes perfect sense though.

Although this seems logical, and I too was sceptic about the results, I did the reset thing a couple of days after picking up my (used) 523 and I did noticed a good change...sure, there will be some placebo effect, but the guy before me was an older driver and drove the car really slow
After the reset I felt a better (quicker) shift change and less "kicking"of the tranny...

And hey, if it doesnt work...it will cost only one minute of your time, so if its just a mental mod...it's cheap
Old 06-08-2010, 06:16 PM
Members

2009 528Xi

didn't think it will work, but the car (11000 km) is sluggish below 60km/h, so I gave it a try

DAM

first, there was a LOUD click at the 25s mark, I did't think there would be a sound as flashing the memory is slient,

secondly it definitely reset as some of my personal setting via idrive is resetted to default,

3rdly, the car changed to the driving machine it meant to be, and here's kicker, fuel economy improved by 3l/100km, eat that

I am the kind of guy who was this close to buy a 84hp upgrade chip sale by the dealer, now I save the money and be happy

Quick Reply: The "hold down accelerator for 25s" trick for smoother shift