E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

The "hold down accelerator for 25s" trick for smoother shift

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 10:20 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 550i - Metallic Mystic Blue, Sport Package, STEPTRONIC Auto Transmission, Leather Interior, Power Front Seats w/Lumbar Support, Xeonon Head Lights (Angel Eyes), Park Distance Control (PDC), 6-CD Changer, Adaptive Head Light, SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Professional Radio, Premium Sound Package 13-Speakers Logic 7, Weather Band Radio, Voice Control (for Bluetooth Telephone Operatoin), 18" Run Flats, Rain-Sensing Wipers, Front/Rear Heated Seats, Flat Tire Monitor (FTM), Moonroof, Fold Down Rear Seats, Hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by bteljuice1' post='538210' date='Mar 1 2008, 01:58 PM
bought a 2008 530i, 1st february.how many km should be driven during grace period till i can do this procedure
The car's break-in period is: 1200 miles/2000 km; not sure how to wait for the procedure
Old 03-01-2008, 10:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

I wanted to chime in on this. I tried this and it seems like it made a difference. One of my few complaint after owning this car for a few weeks now was that it felt like it was sloppy changing gears. It looks like this solved the problem. Hmmm...are we all just crazy?
Old 03-01-2008, 11:41 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2013 535i (White with Oyster Interior. Premium Package, Navigation, Technology Pacakge, Park Distance Control, and Rear View Camera)

Originally Posted by Freewilly' post='538187' date='Mar 1 2008, 10:13 AM
I can't believe I didn't read this post until yesterday... I tried it and it works!!
I felt like 15 years youngers. Before I broke all the traffic laws, I got home in no time.

I will try the DS mode today.
Oh, well. I guess I had too much fun, and didn't do a complete stop when I made a right turn while the traffic light turns red.
I saw a camera flash. Fun is over and I'll probably receive a ticket soon....
Old 03-01-2008, 12:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550i - Metallic Mystic Blue, Sport Package, STEPTRONIC Auto Transmission, Leather Interior, Power Front Seats w/Lumbar Support, Xeonon Head Lights (Angel Eyes), Park Distance Control (PDC), 6-CD Changer, Adaptive Head Light, SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Professional Radio, Premium Sound Package 13-Speakers Logic 7, Weather Band Radio, Voice Control (for Bluetooth Telephone Operatoin), 18" Run Flats, Rain-Sensing Wipers, Front/Rear Heated Seats, Flat Tire Monitor (FTM), Moonroof, Fold Down Rear Seats, Hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by Freewilly' post='538245' date='Mar 1 2008, 03:41 PM
Oh, well. I guess I had too much fun, and didn't do a complete stop when I made a right turn while the traffic light turns red.
I saw a camera flash. Fun is over and I'll probably receive a ticket soon....
Don't feel too bad, as Orlando just started the Red Light Traffic "cop" program this week.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:30 PM
Members

Arrow

I did this about 3 weeks ago and I heard the noise and noticed a marked improvement. I bought my car used and was going to complain to the dealer about the crappy shifting but this solved the problem!!! I will tell you that I tried it agian today and the car just sat there looking at me with a "You're kidding, right?" look on its face. I wonder if the 1000 mile "learning period" starts over after this proceedure is done.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:27 AM
Contributors

Ok I think that this technique did do something for me yesterday. I have noticed that in 'DS' mode it been up-shifting early (low rpm's). On my way to work yesterday morning I gave the old 25s "re-program". I'm now noticing that it is shifting at higher rpm's and it seems a bit more smooth. However, I'm still not entirely convinced that this procedure really works or not.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:25 AM
Members

Guys, the 25s trick seems to work for many, am going to try it out asap. Q: What if you have sprint booster, any effects?
Old 05-01-2008, 11:40 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jbsapphire' post='572404' date='May 1 2008, 02:25 PM
Guys, the 25s trick seems to work for many, am going to try it out asap. Q: What if you have sprint booster, any effects?
First of all, WOOOW WHAT THE sprint booster can do. Second, i installed the SB and directly tired the resetting. Dunno if it helped or worked,just to be on the safe side. i tried it for 40s.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:01 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i Alpine White/Black Dakota Leather/Bamboo Anthracite Wood Trim/Anthracite Headliner Premium and Sport Package Comfort Access/Navigation/HD Radio/iPod/Logic 7/SAT/PDC Sprintbooster Split Second Turbo Tuner BMC Air Filter

Originally Posted by jbsapphire' post='572404
First of all, WOOOW WHAT THE sprint booster can do. Second, i installed the SB and directly tired the resetting. Dunno if it helped or worked,just to be on the safe side. i tried it for 40s.

I'm wondering too if this is necessary for those of us with a Sprintbooster installed. The reset seems to get rid of that accelerator lag that we experienced pre-SB install. I'm curious to see how effective this reset is, post-SB.
Old 05-01-2008, 03:14 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 535d M Sport. Carbon Black, Black Leather, Sports Seats, Black Ash, Bluetooth, Auto Lights & Wipers, Navi Pro, Sunroof, Logic7, Anthracite Headlining, Heated Seats, Bi-Xenon�s, Twin DVD screens in the rear hooked up to a 10 disc DVD multi-changer, Clarion Wireless Headphones.

Bugger, i sit on night shifts and find all these wicked tips about my car and can't use them till the morning.

Gonna go for a smoke in a mo, reset the tranny and give it a go.

I have atleast 4 corners on my home that i ALWAYS suffer from lag when i stick the old right foot in, i hope this finally sorts it!

Will post my results when i wake up!!!

Quick Reply: The "hold down accelerator for 25s" trick for smoother shift