E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

High Rate Of Battery Discharge! + LED bulb error HELP !

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 05:12 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everybody! I'm new here...My 2005 BMW 525i (E60) is displaying a "High Rate of Battery Discharge" Error...I am wondering if anyone knows what the fix is for this, how serious this error may be, or the cheapest method to fix it? I am out of warranty and have already been told it'll be at least $1300 to get it fixed at the dealership (and they don't even know if it will fix it properly)....

On a separate note since I do not have the xenon bulb headlights as its a 2005 model I went for the cheap quick fix temporarily and put in Canbus LED t10 bulbs for the angel eyes and now the error " front left/right parking lights" error...even though they are working...Any one know how to turn this off? I did this after the High Rate of Battery Discharge was appearing so they are not related.

Thank you very much to all that endeavor to help!
Old 04-14-2012, 06:20 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i M-Sport

based on all the responses on this forum the easiest thing to do is install a new battery.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:45 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

+1 I would get the same error message after weekend where I often opened the doors etc but didn't drive the car. After changing the battery all was ok. the dealer will rape you over a battery so you might want to consider getting a direct replacment battery as I did from a local parts store.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:30 AM
Members

Originally Posted by tonyb635
+1 I would get the same error message after weekend where I often opened the doors etc but didn't drive the car. After changing the battery all was ok. the dealer will rape you over a battery so you might want to consider getting a direct replacment battery as I did from a local parts store.
I am a bit worried about getting the battery from a local parts store...What about the BMW coding? Also what if it is the IBS ( intelligent battery sensor) or some other part would this problem not repeat itself?

Thank you for your responses!

Does any one know how to remove the parking light errors?

Much appreciated
Old 04-14-2012, 08:52 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

I have an 08 535 and got mine from Autozone with a seven year warranty. Its their Gold battery and I received the information on it from this site. You need to check your battery numbers on top for Ca and CCa, mine I beleive were 800 each. If you change these numbers then you should code it correctly in the car and make these adjustments. This can be done by an indy shop thats services BMW's. I kept the numbers the same and did nothing and I've had no problems. Last option is to spend the 650.00 at the dealer for a two year battery!
Old 04-14-2012, 11:57 AM
RTR
Members

Ideally, if you have changed the battery to the one with a different spec (i.e. going from wet lead-acid to AGM or different Ah) then you should code the car (through Vehicle Order or just CAS module, just google it). Then you have to register it. If it's a straight replacement with same specs, you only need to do the registration. And don't forget about the vent tube.

However some replaced and didn't code/register the battery and say they are fine. It's all up to you.

I coded&registered it.

Originally Posted by Nicholast
Does any one know how to remove the parking light errors?
Through coding. I guess the errors are caused by a different resistance or whatever the car checks. I've seen somewhere how to disable different bulb checks, but don't have the link. Try finding topics on bmw coding that have lists of commands and their description.

Almost forgot. Why not check if the battery is weak. I think some stores check it for you for free. Or if you look at the battery, there's a production date stamped on the top of the negative terminal. If it's the original battery, probably time to replace it.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:26 AM
Senior Members

Sure you could go ahead a have it checked. Or perhaps even have it charged. I not so sure they are capably of detecting the battery at all levels. Mine was the original and built in 07. Five years later I'm thinking if you are having signs just replace it. If you know why you got the warning ie left light on too long foot open etc then maybe charge and see what happens. But if it's the original battery and around 5 yrs old and you can't clearly determine why you are getting the warning then maybe just change it out.