E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

High drain battery message pop up

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 11:23 AM
H F
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545

Originally Posted by vk535i
Hi all,
Today I got the "High battery drain" message on my car. About one week ago I have the JL amp and a 2.2 farad installed for the sub that is only the electronics were added on but I did not have any high battery drain msg for the whole last week until today. Let said if the Amp drain so much power and If I disconnect the power to the Amp, will the high drain msg go away or I have to take the car to dealer for reset?
How old is ur battery ? if its older than 3 yrs it might b getting near to its lifes end and could be loosing its ability to hold a charge.. Even if u put a charger overnite ( which is good idea ) you may still get a battery drain msg,,, Im running two amps,, My garage queen sits in the garage all week,,, and i have no issues with battery drain.. So its pssible u might need a new battery sometime soon ,,
Old 03-20-2013, 11:58 AM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

It could also be the cold weather taking its toll on the battery. I've notice 3 threads this season about battery warnings (including mine :-) ). I drive short distances as well. One way to my work is 4 miles. When I got the warning, coincidentally had to drive on an errand 50 miles away (100 round trip), and then used a battery tender. I haven't seen the error since.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:05 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2010 535i, Sport, Nav, Platinum Gray, Blk interior

Originally Posted by H F
How old is ur battery ? if its older than 3 yrs it might b getting near to its lifes end and could be loosing its ability to hold a charge.. Even if u put a charger overnite ( which is good idea ) you may still get a battery drain msg,,, Im running two amps,, My garage queen sits in the garage all week,,, and i have no issues with battery drain.. So its pssible u might need a new battery sometime soon ,,
The battery is original from MFG havent replace yet and my car is 29k miles now. Just order the battery charger from amazon but how do i charge the battery since the battery in the trunk? Is there any terminal (+) and (-) in the front engine bay?
Old 03-20-2013, 12:18 PM
Contributors

No need to access the battery itself. There are connection points for jumping the car under the hood. That's where you would clip the battery tender terminals.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:21 PM
New Members

I found the red positive one but dont see any negative terminal at all. Could you show me where to find the negative one?
Old 03-20-2013, 12:25 PM
Contributors

I found the red positive one but dont see any negative terminal at all. Could you show me where to find the negative one?
Pretty much any metal part you can clip on that touches the car's body or frame. I think the main negative terminal is located around the driver side shock mount.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:52 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by balbs
It could also be the cold weather taking its toll on the battery. I've notice 3 threads this season about battery warnings (including mine :-) ). I drive short distances as well. One way to my work is 4 miles. When I got the warning, coincidentally had to drive on an errand 50 miles away (100 round trip), and then used a battery tender. I haven't seen the error since.
Yeah, yesterday, got out from work instead of heading home I take a quick trip to the electronic store and back (45miles). then the "High drain battery"message disappeared. Why BMW make all this so sensitive. Very hard to modify or add-on stuff.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:27 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine E60, '09 535i-Premium, Sport and Comfort Access PackageMods: Lux H8 V3 Angel Eyes, Weisslicht LED license plate lights, Interior LED lights, RPI Scoop, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED side markers & side reflectors, 35% tint all around, and a 3

Originally Posted by balbs
Pretty much any metal part you can clip on that touches the car's body or frame. I think the main negative terminal is located around the driver side shock mount.
+1

It's the ground bolt on the lower right side of the driver side strut mounting nuts.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:50 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2015 435xi GC

I've gotten that message on and off (mostly on very cold, -20C days) for about 4 years now, never replaced the battery, went through hell and high water with my dealership on this issue only to ignore it and, well, it really hasn't been that bad!
Old 03-22-2013, 05:56 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW545i, Mercedes Benz 320S, Honda Civic 4dr. Si , Toyota Soluna Vios.
Default Battery Drain

I have only one Amp ( JL 500/1 ) should not take that much power. Second battery needed when running more thang 3 Amps or so.
Hi!
I had the similar problem with my care and what I did is I took out the alternator and I replace a new voltage regulator and since then my battery was fully charge and the message is gone. Please check how much it will cost you for the labor charge. I myself is a DIY guy so there is no cost for labor and the part cost is just a little over $200 only. Good luck and cheers.

Quick Reply: High drain battery message pop up