E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

High Def Radio, Sirius Sat Radio, and I-pod Audio Options Review

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 08:59 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pharding' post='474464' date='Sep 26 2007, 01:09 PM
I-Pod Technology is clearly the future of automobile audio and audio in general.
Which "technology"? The codecs?

Heaven help us!!!

ABC
Old 09-26-2007, 10:16 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='474516' date='Sep 26 2007, 10:04 AM
As someone who spends a lot of time recording and producing music, I can tell you that the sound quality of even an uncompressed WAV file played out of an iPod (even with the line output) is noticably inferior to CD. I have tested every format in my own car, and nothing compares to a well recorded CD. Not even a WAV.

iPods are cheap electronic gadgets. While ultra-convenient, they are not high-end solutions in terms of quality. So anything you play out of them will be degraded.
I am not an audiophile, however I agree completely with the above post in terms of what I hear with my untrained ear. That is why I was so disappointed to learn that the CD changer was dropped from what is still called Logic7. I was also disappointed that Logic7 was dumbed down and the audio quality was degraded while BMW kept the same name. BMW should just do the right thing and call it Logic3 and make it a $350 option and offer the old Logic7 with CD changer for $1800.

BMW should also make the BMW audio team give up their beer breaks until this gets sorted out. That will motivate them to do their jobs in a professional manner. Also any tone deaf audio engineers should be transferred to other jobs in BMW. That will certainly thin out the BMW Audio Department.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:50 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i non sport monaco blue dk poplar gray leather multi contour seats NAV cold weather fold down seats comfort access Logic 7 sat ipod

Originally Posted by pharding' post='474589' date='Sep 26 2007, 02:16 PM
I am not an audiophile, however I agree completely with the above post in terms of what I hear with my untrained ear. That is why I was so disappointed to learn that the CD changer was dropped from what is still called Logic7. I was also disappointed that Logic7 was dumbed down and the audio quality was degraded while BMW kept the same name. BMW should just do the right thing and call it Logic3 and make it a $350 option and offer the old Logic7 with CD changer for $1800.

BMW should also make the BMW audio team give up their beer breaks until this gets sorted out. That will motivate them to do their jobs in a professional manner. Also any tone deaf audio engineers should be transferred to other jobs in BMW. That will certainly thin out the BMW Audio Department.
"There has only been a few pre-LCI folks who have complained that the LCI Logic7 was inferior in terms of sound quality, and the variables (speakers, placement, etc) are such that we can't really be certain that anything has changed in the Logic7 itself. I didn't have a pre-LCI so I cannot speak to personal differences and have stayed out of the fray.

However, converting cd's to digital streams (uncompressed and lossless formats) for high end home use with high end equipment is what similar to the old vinyl vs. cd wars way back. There were always those who said the quality was degraded, inferior and so on. With eq settings on the Logic7 high quality digital formats (lossless) on a USB stick are going to be as good as cd's in the car, IMO.

YMMV and opinions in car audio are a dime a dozen.

C
Old 09-26-2007, 11:26 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by curlytoons' post='474599' date='Sep 26 2007, 07:50 PM
YMMV and opinions in car audio are a dime a dozen.
+1

ABC
Old 09-26-2007, 12:53 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Retired 2008 535i Titanium-silver with sport, premium, steptronic, NAV, HUD Retired 2006 525i

When I got my new 535 with SAT radio and was having it activated, the guy at Sirius asked me if I wanted the playboy channel activated as well.

Unfortunately, my better half was in the car with me at the time, and she gave me a very dirty look/glare and I chickened out.

Hmmmmmm.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:05 PM
Senior Members

Although the iPod doesn't sound as good as CD, if you compare the iTunes purchased version of a song with one ripped from CD with Apple Lossless, it sounds considerably better. The bass is much deeper. Down side is the size, but with the very large iPods coming out it is less of an issue.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:25 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530d 2003 X5 3.0A (from new) Previously 2003 Z4 3.0

In Australia the marketers obviously got at Digital Broadcasting! We simply call it "Digital"

The market is very small and most Digital Radio, whilst of wonderful audio quality is available with Digital TV transmission. I will need to check my TV Tuner in my car to see whether I can tune into Digital Radio as well as DVB-T as it is in the same band.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by juventus' post='474649' date='Sep 26 2007, 04:53 PM
When I got my new 535 with SAT radio and was having it activated, the guy at Sirius asked me if I wanted the playboy channel activated as well.

Unfortunately, my better half was in the car with me at the time, and she gave me a very dirty look/glare and I chickened out.

Hmmmmmm.
You can login to your account online and activate it yourself...
Old 09-26-2007, 08:20 PM
Members

hd radio= commercials,sirius=no commercials and you dont have to worry about the station coming in and going if you change states because its nation wide. i dont know where everybody lives buy here in southern california it works fine and sounds like cd quality plus if you like howard stern hes there..and for the ipod that is up to the user for what is sounds like,everyone of my songs on my ipod are over 256 and i have over 30gigs of music.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:22 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Member545' post='474653' date='Sep 26 2007, 04:05 PM
Although the iPod doesn't sound as good as CD, if you compare the iTunes purchased version of a song with one ripped from CD with Apple Lossless, it sounds considerably better. The bass is much deeper. Down side is the size, but with the very large iPods coming out it is less of an issue.
cds are recorded at 128, you can get your songs on your ipod at 256 how is that not as good as cd? its not the ipod its the user

Quick Reply: High Def Radio, Sirius Sat Radio, and I-pod Audio Options Review