E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

High battery drain and out of warrant car

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 04:41 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this issue has been discussed a lot on the forum and I'm not looking for a how to fix just need opinion. I been having the high battery drain error message coming on every time I start the car if its been sitting for a couple days. It don't happen if I drive the car every day but since I have a work car I drive on weekdays, my car only get driven on weekend. The car is few months out of factory warranty, I been getting the error message while the car is under warranty but just been busy to go to dealer and figure is not a big deal.

Last week I notice my stereo getting weaker, delay in idrive start up, volume control, and time running slower so I decided to change the battery. Install the duralast 95R-dlg and had the batter register and everything is back to normal. Park the car for few days and today I start my car and the high battery drain error message is back again.

My question is should I get this fix or just leave it alone? I don't have a garage so I can't put a battery tender on it. Also, I have a 8 years warranty on the new battery so I'm not worrying about battery life. My car is 2008 550i with comfort access.

Thanks for the help
Old 12-08-2011, 05:04 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' BMW 550i

I have same thing took to dealer They said pass door handle sensor for comfort access is bad. I read it's normal problem for this cars
I noticed if I used a key in ignition, but not comfort thing,msg would not show in morning
Old 12-08-2011, 06:16 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

-
Old 12-08-2011, 07:32 PM
Members

how much does that door sensor cost?
Old 12-09-2011, 04:55 AM
Senior Members

I don't know, but I will asked today, if car will be ready. I have extended warranty.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:54 AM
Members

if you use the key fob to unlock and key in ignition and no error message will show then its probably not a actual battery drain? maybe just the comfort access throw the code off when its been park for a while...??
Old 12-09-2011, 08:23 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

I think you would be better off having your car looked at by someone who can read from your OBD. It should list battery drainage code or something. I know mine did and I didn't actually know that I had them. The Stealer informed me about the codes and asked if I had prior battery drains. I did due to leaving the door open and working on the car here and there with a weak battery. There could be muliple reasons that you are having this issue and determining why and what neede to be cared for would be important, otherewise you could get luck or go broke chasing it... I personally think it would kinda sux to spend the money on the door confort access part and still have the problem...
Old 12-09-2011, 09:30 AM
Senior Members

yes, it's true. Mine got showed pass door access sensor is bad or something like this.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:05 PM
Members

Felt kinda stupid that I didn't get the problem fix when I was under warranty. I figure it's not big deal as long as everything is working normal and my car crank up every time.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:21 PM
Contributors

It's not unusual for the IBS to fail ... that should be interrogated by a dealer or indy with the proper equipment. When your car was charging the old battery according to it's profile the registration process tells it you've installed a new battery. As a result, your new battery may have been over charged! Because this is a common problem there are tons of posts about this topic!

Since it's only a short time out of warranty some dealers will cut you some slack. Ask nicely and see what you get.

Quick Reply: High battery drain and out of warrant car