E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

HID for high beam ( flash to pass lights)?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 10:56 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

Originally Posted by healthservices
hid is not made for instant on usage. This is why the factory does not use hid in these situations.

HID is like a florescence light it takes anywhere from 10 seconds to 1 minute to warm up and get to full brightness

Edit I misread the question, I though you were using it for 'flash to pass' as it does not work worth a crap for those situations, try a capacitor or enclosing the igniter in a metal box.
Adding anything wouldnt help. I would remove it. If you use the high beam as daytime running, HIDs would not work. Need to trun DRL off.

Originally Posted by Dandle
This isn't the case anymore, early HIDs used to have a warm up period but later ballast are able to strike the lamps straight away. LCI cars with HIDs use the HID as a flash to pass and don't have a seperate H7 halogen for that purpose.
Yes and no. It still takes time to warm up but also premature kills the ignitor. During the daytime if you keep flashing someone, it still prematurely wears out the factory HIDs and could also cause power surges. This is why I honk during the day and i flash high beams at night. There are no worries at night since ur HIDs are already on.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:08 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 07 E61 530d M-Sport.

Originally Posted by tonymac
The high beam on LCI's are just a shutter that flips down when you engage the high beams allowing more light to pass through the projector.

Yes it is but the light source is able to instantly light at the same time.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:59 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by Dandle
This isn't the case anymore, early HIDs used to have a warm up period but later ballast are able to strike the lamps straight away. LCI cars with HIDs use the HID as a flash to pass and don't have a seperate H7 halogen for that purpose.

Originally Posted by turboawd
lci cars just open a shutter on the normal hid light i thought.

Originally Posted by healthservices
That's the way it works on preLCI, at least on mine.
It's because the ones you guys have are bi-xenons.